Conley's Performance: Hidden charges

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardles of the quoted price... I consider this an example of a company not taking care of customer service... the customer was not aware of costs above and beyond original quoted price before the car was picked up. But that is an observation formed after hearing only one side of the story of course.

The term is "Flat Rating". Or more specifically.... overlapping time. If it is necessary to remove a part in order to replace another part the labor quoted is just that... the labor quoted encompasses the entire job. There could easily be an oversight on the part of that company, did you ask about the additional charges? If so what was their reply?... my bad if already posted didn't see it...

Is it possible they are charging you for the cost of the spark plugs,,, a little high for plugs, but might that just be a parts cost? Not trying to defend them but 1/2 of the job is making sure the customer is aware of the repairs and the costs involved. Anything less is poor service... period.

I too would be interested to hear what the company has to say... there are two sides to every story and we have heard but one side. There may be a realistic justification for the costs incurred... but if you were notified about the additional fees I would think you would not have brought the issue up here. Goes back to communication... customer service.

g
Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can't install/repair something my self, I usually ask for a an "out the door" price.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Is it possible they are charging you for the cost of the spark plugs,,,

g
what about the $75 for removing the stock exhaust that has to be removed anyways?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Agreed... I was just using the plugs as an example. That is considered overlapping time in my opinion.

g
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, remind's of the time i got my truck lowered. they came back with all sorts of charges even though i told them to give me the total and i didn't want any surprises when i came back to pick it up and pay.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Pewter TA
Off topic, but if you saved your cats there is a guy buying them for $130 in the WTB section on here. Just thought you could get some of your $$ money back. To get back on topic I was charged $258 to put my headers in at another shop and that with welding in bullets in the ypipe.
haha, i already sold him two sets of cats thanks anyway!

Also, I brought in all the parts so they weren't charging me for any parts on that stuff

Also, I didn't question them about it either because I figure if they charged me on purpose like that, then they would fight it if brought up, and I'm not in the mood to argue. I just spent four months fighting insurance to total my WS6(frame damage).

You live and you learn. It's my fault for not getting an exact price and not knowing a header install only means A HEADER INSTALL. Steven Fereday will tell you, not that I think he would do anything like this, but I gave him an exact list of every part I wanted installed on my car, just so nothing like this would happen again.

-Chris

Last edited by jimmypop13; 06-07-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

I find it hard to believe Conley's hasn't spoke up for themselves yet, surely someone has seen this and told them about it if they haven't seen it themselves.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
Maybe I'm wrong and this is normal pricewise now but I just thought I would mention it. I went to Conley's to have some parts put on my Z28. I only got a quote for the headers which I was told would be $400 which I thought was normal. Now I may be wrong but at every other place I've been to, installing headers means removing the stock exhaust & spark plugs, then installing the headers. Not here, they charged me $400 for the header install, $75 to remove my stock exhaust, & $40 to install my new spark plugs, which is all stuff that is normally included from the other places I've been to. I know on my WS6 I was charged $350 at Madman & Co to take off my stock exhaust, install new headers, y-pipe, catback, & install my new plugs & wires
I REALLY should have gotten a quote on everything first because I got charged $240 for the drill mod, $344 to install my new shocks,& $320 for my poly motor mount install. Again maybe these prices are normal these days but when I modded my WS6 5 years ago, prices weren't even close to that. Was I ripped off cuz it feels like it. I won't be going there again

-Chris

Chris.

Do you have a recipet showing these charges & itemized? If so. Please post a copy of it.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

of course i do, let me see if my scanner is working
Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
8 Sec Tuner

We charge 300 for normal headers and 400 for Kooks. No hidden charges.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
9 Second Club

WOW And people bitch in SA for $250 installed
Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

The third line down from the top right says "X-PIPE/REMOVE OLD SYS"
Just ignore the X-PIPE part because they never touched it. They were going to take it to an exhaust shop to put it on but the exhaust shop told them over the phone that they wouldn't work on a car without catilytic converters. Also, I didn't say anything about the other charges on here because they seemed reasonable, although $45 does kinda sound high to check my computer. I had a low rpm misfire when I came in that I thought was due to an old sparkplug & that's exactly what I told them. I didn't know they would charge to plug in & look. I don't know why it says check codes, I didn't have any. The other stuff I had done was fluid change, a textralia clutch install, & the tranny was pulled so SixSpeedsInc could come pick it up.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow...
Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club

They put the hammer down! WOW
Old 06-07-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Wow. $2200. They had a case of beer that night.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
They put the hammer down! WOW
damn, I was hoping I wouldn't hear that! I thought in my head anyway, that the charges would have been closer to 1k than 2k, which sucks cuz like I said, I can't paint my new hood & spoiler, unless I wanna not do my heads/cam install next week, which I WON'T talk myself out of!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

I understand your trepidation about asking them to justify their charges... but at the end of the day you had questions / concerns when you saw the invoice. Before any $$$ changes hands that is the time to speak.

I think charging for plugs / wires when the headers are off is a judgement call. I would not. I think charging for the exhaust work past the headers is part of the header install and would not charge more. That being said, I do not know what exhaust was on the car to begin with... face value nah I would have asked about the additional charges and would either agree or take them to task.

These are my opinions based on an invoice and 1/2 of the story... hope it helps someone else down the road.

g
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
The third line down from the top right says "X-PIPE/REMOVE OLD SYS"
Just ignore the X-PIPE part because they never touched it. They were going to take it to an exhaust shop to put it on but the exhaust shop told them over the phone that they wouldn't work on a car without catilytic converters. Also, I didn't say anything about the other charges on here because they seemed reasonable, although $45 does kinda sound high to check my computer. I had a low rpm misfire when I came in that I thought was due to an old sparkplug & that's exactly what I told them. I didn't know they would charge to plug in & look. I don't know why it says check codes, I didn't have any. The other stuff I had done was fluid change, a textralia clutch install, & the tranny was pulled so SixSpeedsInc could come pick it up.

I would like to hear the other story. But the looks of this. It shows pretty clear that the shop is in the wrong on their labor. If they think that is fair then I will never suggest anyone go to this shop.

That is Hwy robbery.
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
We charge 300 for normal headers and 400 for Kooks. No hidden charges.
you guys did the same thing to me on a clutch install.............and you have never seen my car since
Old 06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Next time go to Simple Quick Racing 817-738-7223 in Benbrook.

They are fair & honest & upfront & do good Quality Work & their rep proceeds itself.

Quick Reply: Conley's Performance: Hidden charges