Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Texas DOT to Install Speed Cameras

New type of speed cameras on :

State Highway 6 near College Station

Texas DOT to Install Federally Funded Highway Speed Cameras

Despite the opposition of the state legislature, the Texas Department of Transportation proposes a federally funded speed camera test.

Despite the near-unanimous opposition in the state legislature to the use of speed cameras, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is moving forward on a proposal to deploy photo radar on state highways using federal gas tax funds. Legislation awaiting Governor Rick Perry's signature prohibited only municipalities -- like Marble Falls and Rhome -- from installing automated speeding ticket systems. It was silent on the possibility of a state-run system (read legislation).

TxDOT began searching in April for a vendor that, using federal funds, would allow the agency "to assess and evaluate all elements of an automated speed notification system." Once selected, the vendor would operate an average time speed camera test for at least six months on Interstate 10 near El Paso and State Highway 6 near College Station.

Time-distance ticketing systems use multiple cameras spaced far apart on a freeway. Each car is photographed once as it enters the first section of road. Miles later a second photograph is taken that allows the vehicle's average speed to be calculated from the time it took to travel between the two locations. In use in Britain under the trade name SPECS, these cameras are commonly referred to as "yellow vultures" and are among the most lucrative in the country.

In its request for proposals, TxDOT cited success of speed cameras in the UK, which generated £120 million (US $240 million) in revenue in 2003, and in Washington, DC, which has generated $217 million in revenue with its red light and speed cameras since 1999. TxDOT's vendor will send notices -- warnings at first -- to motorists driving just 5 MPH over the limit with an accuracy level of +/- 2 MPH, meaning those driving just 3 MPH over the limit could receive a photograph and letter in the mail.

The River Cities Daily Tribune, which first reported the story last week, noted that TxDOT also ordered Marble Falls to remove its speed camera van from state highways in April citing safety concerns.

"How hypocritical is that?" Marble Falls Mayor Raymond Whitman told the Daily Tribune. "I have a bit of a problem with it, not because they're using the camera, but because if it's unsafe for us to use, how can it be safe for the state to do it?"
link: http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1800.asp

Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

They're using them already in the Phoenix area. They nabbed a guy driving a Hyundai rental car over 140 mph. Didn't know they would go that fast.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

they can suck my *** im driving on the HWY 6 feeder! haha jk

but seriously thats going to be gay...
Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

screw that ****..i drive about 5 over all the time. so now ill get a ticket because thats so unsafe
Old 06-11-2007, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like they just want to make more money. i bet they end up getting taken down eventually when people start bitching about getting tickets b/c the people they let borrow their car was speeding.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Freaking A...another tax...go figure.

They tax us to pay for the systems to catch us speeding so they can tax us again! This BS has to stop!!

Looks like someone will have to scope out the areas once installed and take them out with a rifle when no one is around That will show them!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Launching!

I'd shoot them with a paintball gun as I was going by lol
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wrote to Rick Perry about this but i'm sure it won't do anything
Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Looks like someone will have to scope out the areas once installed and take them out with a rifle when no one is around
I like where your heads at! Depending on what parts of 6 they put them on, that prolly wont be that hard either...
Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like they dont wanna give us anything and want to take away all our freedoms I say **** TxDot
Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a few baseball bats will take care of that problem
Old 06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

here is a site (slipped my mind right now) where you can put the citation # and info, and shows you the video of you speeding or other traffic violation.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Teching In

insurance companies are going to fight...reason is if you get to many tickets you get dropped or placed into High risk if you are not on it yet...which means higher premiums, resulting in looking for other insurance companies to pick them up, also a big loss for insurance or a big gain...losing cliental or gaining revenue on higher premiums...no one is going to be happy...that sucks i am not driving back home to visit...i already got a ticket going to el paso for going 6 miles over....i will have tickets lined up....people will be going broke.

I vote No for this!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike96z
sounds like they dont wanna give us anything and want to take away all our freedoms I say **** TxDot
THat is what I am talking about! The goverment is trying to screw us just a little more!!!!! Tax us when we make it tax us when we buy it and tax us on what we own BS. Another lousy money game so that they can say we didn't raise your taxes BS quit screwing us blindly!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Also if you get so many points (For tickets) you have to pay TXDOT a Premium to keep your licence!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

time to get rid of the plates and go stealth mode
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

time to buy some of that photoblocker spray! (BTW, anyone know if that stuff really works?)
Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah it work is over exposes tht film and make the photo very hard to see etc...
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
I wrote to Rick Perry about this but i'm sure it won't do anything
ummm...that a very LEFT comment.

What does Rick Perry have to do with it? He doesn't run TxDot, it runs itself!

It's the cities that have to install them to and fund them. TxDot is only going to "test" their viability.

Think of it this way ya'll. Speed camera's will illeviate "traffic cops". So, you'll have MORE POLICE Officers out on the beat than standing on I-20 in Arlington with frickin' radar guns.

Get ya'll thumb out your *** and look at the BIG picture, not just a "Tax" or "Well, more revenue for the city".

OR:

If the camera's take over the traffic cop duties, than the police departmnet won't need as MANY officers to patrol the highways for speeders, thus decreasing city taxes to pay for the officers.

IF you are afraid of getting caught speeeding, DON"T speed, but don't bitch about HOW they will catch you if you DO DECIDE to speed!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Splitz
ummm...that a very LEFT comment.

What does Rick Perry have to do with it? He doesn't run TxDot, it runs itself!

It's the cities that have to install them to and fund them. TxDot is only going to "test" their viability.

Think of it this way ya'll. Speed camera's will illeviate "traffic cops". So, you'll have MORE POLICE Officers out on the beat than standing on I-20 in Arlington with frickin' radar guns.

Get ya'll thumb out your *** and look at the BIG picture, not just a "Tax" or "Well, more revenue for the city".

OR:

If the camera's take over the traffic cop duties, than the police departmnet won't need as MANY officers to patrol the highways for speeders, thus decreasing city taxes to pay for the officers.

IF you are afraid of getting caught speeeding, DON"T speed, but don't bitch about HOW they will catch you if you DO DECIDE to speed!
Your an idiot if you think like that you sound just like a politician! You are using the same BS to justify ******* the american people out of their hard earned money. We pay for the police and we will pay for these chicken **** camera's also. If you sit there and tell me that 5mph over the limit is something worth talking about??? Bull ****. The cops don't patrol neighbor hoods very much anymore they are busy answering domestic calls etc... Trafic tickets used to mean something, now they are just another fund raiser for the cities and TXDOT! If everyone on the Fwy etc.. is doing 10mph over the posted speed limit is that hurting anything???? These camera's will just cause more problems for people and generate large amounts of cash for the cities and Txdot. It won't stop speeders. If you didn't have so many cops out trying to give tickets to meet quota's (SP?) raise money then they could be patrolling also so it is all about the money!