Anone own their own business?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anone own their own business?

I have a queston that maybe only a select few people here can answer. Let's say you build custom radiators (or electric bucking bulls for that matter) and when you built your building, you put an apartment upstairs. Is this a conflict of zoning? Can you live in your own business? I'm saying yes, but my buddy says no, it's a conflict of zoning. What gives?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:36 PM
Teching In

It depends on how the property was zoned. If it zoned for commercial use, then no you can't legally live there. If it is unrestricted use then you could live there. But, if you never get caught, then I guess it's not illegal.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info, who dictates zoning?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

say it is a break room and youll be fine i do this for our truck drivers some stay there several nights sorta like living there oh yea get a po box btw is it city or county?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Not sure. Land prices where we are looking are so high it's sick, so we're looking for a place sorta out in the country but close to a main thrufare. Best of my knowledge it will be governed by the county seat and not city.

Let's say we get a bangin' deal on something already built inside city limits, would that change things?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TATER
Not sure. Land prices where we are looking are so high it's sick, so we're looking for a place sorta out in the country but close to a main thrufare. Best of my knowledge it will be governed by the county seat and not city.

Let's say we get a bangin' deal on something already built inside city limits, would that change things?
It might be easier to do that if you live in the county, but a city department, such as Community Development, Zoning, etc., would dictate the occupancy classification.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

my dad owns his own business and lives in a spare room at the office. Nobody has ever bothered him about it...
Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

look at city houston.org and if not there go to harris county web site bet u finf ur answer there
Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Probably, but I did a bad job of stating where it would be. Actually northwest Arkansas, around Fayetteville.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at Mini Storage places, a lot have a house on site.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

It all depends on the city. Its how the city zones the property. If its farther out in the country you will have no problems. But if you were to buy in the city then you might have some city problems. I would suggest checking with the city before you put a contract on property. My aunt and uncle live above their stores but they live in a junky city. My dad has built many storage units where the owners would have him build an apartment there for them to live there part time.

Hope this helps you out!

irbs
Old 08-18-2007, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette-Red
It depends on how the property was zoned. If it zoned for commercial use, then no you can't legally live there. If it is unrestricted use then you could live there. But, if you never get caught, then I guess it's not illegal.

I totally agree. My business is at my house. Never had any problems. Of course I do a lot of work for the HOA president...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Launching!

I dont think they can classify it as living there if you say you take lots of long naps at your business can they? I bought two of those air mattress to sleep on in case I didnt want to go home.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

The guy that runs the Storage unit next to my business lives there. And I know of a few people that live at there lube centers upstairs.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Funny, I am doing the same thing right now. For me, its out in the county, so there are none of the concerns you would have in the city. Even in the city though, its not that big of a deal. You seperate the occupancies with a 1-2 hr. firewall and essentially they are looked at as seperate buildings sharing a common wall. Even if its commercially zoned you can file for a variance. Not a big deal. Talk to the planning dept of the city you will be in, not the county unless you are outside city limits. They will spell out what restrictions you may have. IBC 2003 gives any number of options of how to do what you are looking for.

**edit** Also, make sure what the deed restrictions say to the letter. Often times they can be vague, or descript, and the building inspection/ planning dept. are bound by law to follow them.

Quick Reply: Anone own their own business?