Chances of getting into UT Austin (McCombs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chances of getting into UT Austin (McCombs)

So i applied to UT Austin for business (McCombs) which is very competitive..Im so worried about gettin in and was wondering if anyone here got in their school?

Im ranked 14 out of 132 (missed the ******* 10%)
5.0 out of 6 GPA
1220 SAT (540 Reading, 680 Math)

Some extracurriculars..

National honor society, UIL Math/Science, Academic Team, UIL Current Events, Precision Machining, Autocollision Repair

My first essay was about how my 5th grade teacher introduced me into UIL Math and since i loved working with numbers (not really, just made **** up)

My 2nd essay was about the **** poor economy at the moment. Rising oil prices, national debt, value of dollar going down the drain etc..

My 3rd (optional) essay was basically describing about how i was introduced to the stock market and decided to start investing into stocks. (Was a personal info essay)

Yall think ill get into McCombs Business school?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Aside from school, did you list any other activities? What about Leadership positions?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
Aside from school, did you list any other activities? What about Leadership positions?
Eh.. the only thing resembling leadership that i mentioned in the application was tutoring freshmen kids struggling in their math classes
Old 12-03-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Ah, who knows. Look on the bright side, if it doesn't work out. I'm sure texas st will accept you!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Depending on how well your essays were written, you should be able to get into UT, but you might not get your first major choice. This is true even if you are in the top ten percent, though. What was your total SAT score (with the writing component)?

I've heard it's hard for people who weren't accepted into McComb's to transfer in from other majors, but I don't know how true it is. I also don't know how hard it is to get in right out of high school, but I know plenty of idiots who managed to get in.

I am pretty sure I could have gotten in to McComb's had I applied (28/500-something, 1980 on SAT), but I only applied for engineering. A friend of mine with whom I went to high school was well outside the top ten percent and had an average SAT score (1800-ish) and was accepted into natural science. They seem to accept a pretty large number of people based on how many people I run into who are business majors, though. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

List Lib Arts as your back up major JIC, but you could have a legit shot. All depends on how many students apply for the Business school and how well you rank among em.

1980 on your SAT? ..you must be talking about the new one, right?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:14 AM

just go to Texas Tech hehe. The Rawls business college here is a great one too. My sister actually goes to UT, and I go to Tech....so we've got a mixed family lol. I would have gone to UT if i got in, and Tech was my second choice. Couldnt be happier.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jhug
Yeah, out of 2400. That's why I asked what the rest of the OP's score was since 1220 would be really low for the new one.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jhug
List Lib Arts as your back up major JIC, but you could have a legit shot. All depends on how many students apply for the Business school and how well you rank among em.

Colleges dont look at the writing score on the new SAT (to my knowledge), but ya, he had 1980 all 3 combined
Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

4 years ago, that would have not gotten you in. I think you have a good shot. They may put you in the summer program.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
LS7 Member

I dont think its that hard to get in. I know some business kids who I swear are half retarded.

I think you have a good shot, but they may make you do the summer thing.

Quick Reply: Chances of getting into UT Austin (McCombs)