Anyone ever have problems with DHL shipping major parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever have problems with DHL shipping major parts?

I bought a T-56 setup for my A4 Z28 from a guy off this board and he shipped it via DHL last month. The tranny itself was shipped by itself and the rest was shipped in three other boxes/crates. I got everything except the crate with my 100+ lbs T-56. The last status update on DHL tracking said it had departed a city in Virginia, this was 11/13?? The seller and I have called numerous times asking what the deal is and have gotten mostly responses like "we are currently tracing the package" or "It too soon to give an update try again tomorrow". So its been nearly a month now and it still is MIA, I am getting very nervous and frustrated and was wondering if any of you have received or shipped a package near this size by DHL and had any problems? How did you deal with it? We have both filed complaints/lost claims, but those will take forever to get processed. How do you lose a 100+ lb tranny???
Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't had any bad dealings with DHL but I've heard some stories that sound similar to yours
Old 12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil8616
How do you lose a 100+ lb tranny???
Tell ***** that ***** is ugly!

I've shipped some large items (60-100lbs) and never had a problem with DHL. Did they give you one tracking number for all the boxes, or did the T56 have its own number?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Launching!

You have to talk to customer service, and go high up! I work for a freight forwarder (middle man type deal) and we try not to use DHL because of problems like this. We deal with oilfield equip in Alaska for the big companies and have had numerous shipments lost, bumped from flights, stuck at the hub, etc etc. Most likely it is sitting in a container or at the hub in a corner and they dont know it. This might be the number you have but, if its not, try it. 800-225-5345 Hope it helps!

JP
Old 12-06-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

yes had trouble shipping some airbags
Old 12-07-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil8616
How do you lose a 100+ lb tranny???
you work for DHL

i hate DHL more than UPS, and you KNOW it's bad when a person can say that.....

i've only had two things shipped to me by DHL, and somehow they managed to **** it up both times......
Old 12-07-2007, 03:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DHL sucks. If the box is "over weight" for their specs you have to LOAD it in their truck!! I worked for FedEx Ground, and NEVER had to have someone load my boxes, regardless of the weight. ******!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Ok, thanks for the replies

-ROCNDAV, Yes, they gave me a separate tracking number for each box/crate.

-Jip, Thanks, Ill try that number. I was getting fed up with all the bs from the customer service reps who would answer the phone first. I was going to demand to talk to a supervisor or someone higher up, but thanks to a girl who actually did something besides give me bs saved that for now.

-Doc, I was worried that the T-56 might be over 100 lbs. (cant call it a 100 pound tranny anymore ), but the seller drained all the fluids so Id think it would be under or close to 100 lbs??

Ive never had problems with DHL honestly, they have always been faster and cheaper than UPS and FedEx, but I have never had something this large shipped before.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

I've been waiting on a 4lb box from DHL since December 1st, on 2-DAY shipping! It was supposed to have been here days ago. It's not that I need it right now, but hell I did pay extra for the shipping and all and just got screwed. I just got off the phone with them because when I tried to track it it said "contact DHL customer service", the damn thing has been out for delivery 3 times now and still isn't here. I wont ever ship anything through them again.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

DHL blows. I used to live next to one of their shipping facilities over by Love Field. Watching the way those guys drive, I will never use DHL. Not to mention that I bought a laptop a couple years ago and they (DHL) left it in front of my door....at an apartment complex. I only use FedEx now.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Launching!

I can't stand DHL! Yes they may be cheaper but the reliability is not there like you get with UPS or FedEx!! Only thing you can do is file a claim, fill out the paperwork, provide them the proof of value and wait. If the pkg is indeed lost, the bad part is if yall didn't put additional insurance on the pkg your only gonna get $100 + the cost of shipping!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DSIM
DHL blows. I used to live next to one of their shipping facilities over by Love Field. Watching the way those guys drive, I will never use DHL. Not to mention that I bought a laptop a couple years ago and they (DHL) left it in front of my door....at an apartment complex. I only use FedEx now.
By default, shipping to a residence all the carries can leave the pkg at the door without obtaining, unless a signature is requested by the shipper, or if the driver feels its unsafe to leave the pkg.