Running 9s at Houston Raceway Park. Need info.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:06 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Running 9s at Houston Raceway Park. Need info.

What does HRP stress most on for running 9s? Will they do a full out inspection on the car and yourself or do they just glance? What are they looking for most?

I haven't put the Wolfe front half kit in yet (converts 6 to 10 point), so that will be a drawback there. Are they real strict on that? Let's say I break into the 9s right off the trailer, do you think it's possible they'll let me still run if I say that I didn't know I was going to run this fast, it's a new setup, and that I'll run 1/8th mile?

I just want to make sure that I don't get booted off when I break into the 9s whether I tell them that I'm going to slow down or run 1/8th mile. Because if that's the case, I'll just run 1/8th all night until the last pass.

I have a single layer jacket, helmet, 6 point roll bar, and 5 point harness. I want to know how to approach this evening, thanks.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that they are going to be pretty strict. I would take it easy at first and work on your launches and get one or two shake down passes before letting it loose.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

you guys can actually get more than 2 passes on a Friday night??
Old 12-07-2007, 09:13 AM
9 Second Club NA

I was thinking the same thing. The car may not even hook because I'm using the same tires that have been sitting for over 2 years. Of course, they have been off the ground and in the garage. They don't show any signs of cracks or being dried out. I just hope everything is right, nothing breaks, and I get some clean runs in.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

With the looks of your car, I'm prety sure they wont be all hardcore about looking. As long as theres a cage in there, and everything looks legit, you might be alright. But like said, I wouldnt bust it out straight off the trailer.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 AM
9 Second Club NA

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK #07
you guys can actually get more than 2 passes on a Friday night??
That's another thing I'm worried about. I hope I get to make 3-4 passes. If the weather holds up, I want to be there Sunday, but it doesn't look so good.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club NA

Originally Posted by K.T.
With the looks of your car, I'm prety sure they wont be all hardcore about looking. As long as theres a cage in there, and everything looks legit, you might be alright. But like said, I wouldnt bust it out straight off the trailer.
Yeah, it does pretty much look stock other than the hood and wheels/tires. But I don't have a cage in it, it's just a 6 point roll bar.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Do you not listen to anything I tell you?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dragaholic+Wildbilltoyotanutrider+CapnSmokajoint= The 3 Stooges
Old 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club NA

Originally Posted by Ben R
Do you not listen to anything I tell you?
Damn boy, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or is TOM here (time of month). I don't ever remember discussing this with you, but if we did, refresh me niaggah!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

1. If you run 9's without the proper licenses/inspections/safety gear, there is a very high chance they will tell you to leave.

2. Weld that damn conversion kit in already. You've had it for long enough.

Remember that 30 minute conversation we had about going to get a physical, welding your cage in, getting it inspected, and making licensing passes? This is why...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Texas Director

Drag, a couple of things:

If you want to get four passes in get there as early as possible, no later than 6PM.

The tech guys shouldn't get very detailed or picky at all. You should be fine on the inspection part. If they ask you just tell them that it runs mid-10's.

Like Randy S said, do a couple of 1/8th mile shake down runs and then let it loose. Make your best run potentially your last run in case you get booted out if you should go 9's. You might want to pay attention to whether or not there's condensation on the track as it gets closer to closing time. With your set up this could be a concern on the big end, but hopefully not.

I understand that this is your first time to the track in a long time, but Ben is correct. Long-term you're going to have to upgrade your cage, get a license and possibly upgrade some of your safety gear.

Good luck with the new set-up and be safe!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club NA

Ok, I remember having the conversation with you, but that's not what I'm asking here. I'm not asking for rules, requirements, etc. for running 9s. My question is how strict is HRP, what do they look for, are they going to do a full inspection with all the saftey equipment on myself and the car or are they just going to glance at me and the car.

Then, if I do break into the 9s, are they going to kick me off permanetly or will they allow me to run 1/8th mile or slow down? Becuase if they kick me off with no exceptions, then I'll run 1/8th the entire night, then do a full out run on the last pass.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Pain's car

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Ok, I remember having the conversation with you, but that's not what I'm asking here. I'm not asking for rules, requirements, etc. for running 9s. My question is how strict is HRP, what do they look for, are they going to do a full inspection with all the saftey equipment on myself and the car or are they just going to glance at me and the car.

Then, if I do break into the 9s, are they going to kick me off permanetly or will they allow me to run 1/8th mile or slow down? Becuase if they kick me off with no exceptions, then I'll run 1/8th the entire night, then do a full out run on the last pass.
Harness kept us from running...They would not pass it for inspection until we upgraded the harness. We did that at the track. Harness is time dated for safety. I do not know if they will check your cage or not....
Vette
Old 12-07-2007, 02:26 PM
9 Second Club NA

They wouldn't let you run because of the harness? I have a 5 point, do you have to have more to run 9s? Or was it just outdated/expired? You stated upgraded the harness, so I wasn't sure exactly what you meant.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

last weekend a mustang broke in to the 9's and they made him put it strait on the trailor
Old 12-07-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

1/8th mile it for 2 passes and then let it fly on the last pass then they will tell you to go home.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get to do (3) 1/8th mile passes and (1) 1/4 mile.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you tell him mid 10s he might laugh . . . if he doesn't ask for a certain piece of hardware don't worry about it, or don't bring it to his attention. Get your sticker and move on. If he does ask and you don't have it, he will tell you to only run the 1/8.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Are you not supposed to run 9s and faster there?