Inspection problems - need friendly inspection place

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Inspection problems - need friendly inspection place

PLEASE PM - don't post names and locations. I don't want to risk anyone gettin in trouble.

I never thought I would find myself in this situation for my truck, but I am. I tried to get my bone stock 06 Duramax inspected on the way home from work. This is the place I have gone for years with all my vehicles and the guy is cool. Some new idiot that works there hollars out "That window tint looks too dark" (I wanted to reach over and knock the SH&% out of that guy). The guy that takes care of me can't do anything about it with the owner standing around seeing this. He tests it and sure enough too dark. He told me to just go somewhere else because the owner would be watching. So, I need a firendly inspection place that can inspect the truck.

I usually just roll up with the windows down and he never had to worry about it, but my freakin truck is due in the cold time of the year and I can't pull that off.

Any help would be appreciated.

This bring me to my second question. I thought my window tint was 20%, but it tested as 10%. The guy told me 20% is legal. I was always told it was 35% or lighter was legal and 20 would be too dark. Is the guy confused?? I have considerred seeing if it warms up enough here and just roll the windows down and yank the fuse out when I go elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck, i got 5% in oklahoma
Old 01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
PLEASE PM - don't post names and locations. I don't want to risk anyone gettin in trouble.

I never thought I would find myself in this situation for my truck, but I am. I tried to get my bone stock 06 Duramax inspected on the way home from work. This is the place I have gone for years with all my vehicles and the guy is cool. Some new idiot that works there hollars out "That window tint looks too dark" (I wanted to reach over and knock the SH&% out of that guy). The guy that takes care of me can't do anything about it with the owner standing around seeing this. He tests it and sure enough too dark. He told me to just go somewhere else because the owner would be watching. So, I need a firendly inspection place that can inspect the truck.

I usually just roll up with the windows down and he never had to worry about it, but my freakin truck is due in the cold time of the year and I can't pull that off.

Any help would be appreciated.

This bring me to my second question. I thought my window tint was 20%, but it tested as 10%. The guy told me 20% is legal. I was always told it was 35% or lighter was legal and 20 would be too dark. Is the guy confused?? I have considerred seeing if it warms up enough here and just roll the windows down and yank the fuse out when I go elsewhere.

Thats were a lot of people get confused. There are different laws, state and local. You ever read any aftermarket parts that say 50 state legal then in small print it says "check with your local laws" or something to that affect. So it can be two different percentages. The state can say 20% so that would pass for an inspection but if the local law says its 35% then it would be legal for a cop to give you a ticket for your tint being too dark even though it passes state law.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5w20
Thats were a lot of people get confused. There are different laws, state and local. You ever read any aftermarket parts that say 50 state legal then in small print it says "check with your local laws" or something to that affect. So it can be two different percentages. The state can say 20% so that would pass for an inspection but if the local law says its 35% then it would be legal for a cop to give you a ticket for your tint being too dark even though it passes state law.
gayness.. probably true, but lame as hell
Old 01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Launching!

If all fails, nobody rings up for a place for you, just peel the tint off, get your inspection and get it retinted again. Maybe the price that you would be paying for a "friendly" inspection place would match the amount you would pay to get it tinted again?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
If all fails, nobody rings up for a place for you, just peel the tint off, get your inspection and get it retinted again. Maybe the price that you would be paying for a "friendly" inspection place would match the amount you would pay to get it tinted again?
I actually thought about that, but have some problems with it. If 20% is legal I will get it redone because 20 is what I asked for and matches the back doors. However, this time of year it is pretty cold and it is harder for tint to stick good. I like to get my windows tinted during the warmer months and leave it out in the heat/sun for a week or 2 to make sure the tint dries and sticks real good. Every time I have had tint done when it is cold there are still bubbles in it and problems. If it were summer I would go that route. I would also want to verify 20% is legal because I was always told 35% up until today.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
I actually thought about that, but have some problems with it. If 20% is legal I will get it redone because 20 is what I asked for and matches the back doors. However, this time of year it is pretty cold and it is harder for tint to stick good. I like to get my windows tinted during the warmer months and leave it out in the heat/sun for a week or 2 to make sure the tint dries and sticks real good. Every time I have had tint done when it is cold there are still bubbles in it and problems. If it were summer I would go that route. I would also want to verify 20% is legal because I was always told 35% up until today.

20% is not legal trust me... I got a ticket for it about two months ago from DPS. Just get the 35% and be done

J
Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Launching!

i say tough it out. go somewhere else, roll the windows down and pull the fuses. hell you can pull the fuse in the parking lot and put it back in as soon as you pay. it's the cheapest and easiest way.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
i say tough it out. go somewhere else, roll the windows down and pull the fuses. hell you can pull the fuse in the parking lot and put it back in as soon as you pay. it's the cheapest and easiest way.
I tried that with my SS and they refused to inspect it. Long story short, I ended up having it re-tinted with the legal stuff and never had to worry about it again. It's just not worth the hassle in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

where u at in houston??

pm me

mike
Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rayosequis
I tried that with my SS and they refused to inspect it. Long story short, I ended up having it re-tinted with the legal stuff and never had to worry about it again. It's just not worth the hassle in my opinion.
really? that's weird. idk if they are allowed to refuse it cause your windows won't roll up. windows are a luxury. that's like not passing a car cause the seat warmers are broken. unless you told them that they weren't legal and you pulled the fuse.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
really? that's weird. idk if they are allowed to refuse it cause your windows won't roll up. windows are a luxury. that's like not passing a car cause the seat warmers are broken. unless you told them that they weren't legal and you pulled the fuse.

I felt the same way about it, but didn't feel like arguing with him and figured it would bite me in the *** eventually. Not to mention I didn't feel like driving all over Houston trying to find someone who would.

You win some, you lose some....
Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Im rolling with 10% its all good
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
20% is not legal trust me... I got a ticket for it about two months ago from DPS. Just get the 35% and be done

J
One of my ex-girlfriends has like 13% tint on her windows and has NEVER been stopped. My brother-in-law's Silverado has the front windshield tinted 35%, side windows 20%, extended cab glass and back glass are 5%. Again, Never had any problems with inspection/cops. My luck I'll get 20% tint on my side glass and get a ticket.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Launching!

i say it's worth calling some shops and asking how picky they are on tint.

like i said i have 20% added making it ~15-17% when ft. worth limit is 25% and i've never had problems with it
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

20% minimum is what we test for any less then 20% the vehicle fails!!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Well, I am glad I looked it up. It is 20% not 35%

Found this on TXDOTs website. Good to know in case I get pulled over by a cop and hassled about it.

20.32 Window Tinting. All 1988 or newer model vehicles that have window coating, tinting, or sunscreening applied to the windows must be inspected for the following:
1. Inspect for and reject if:
b. Glass coating or sunscreening devices on windows:

Windows immediately to the right and left of the driver, which open, have less than 20% light transmittance.

NOTE: If one window is inspected and has less than 20% light transmittance and the other window has window tinting which is obviously the same degree of sunscreening, only the one window needs to be inspected.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Thanks everyone for the help.

I went out today on lunch and was able to get it taken care of.