Does anyone here work at an oil rig?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone here work at an oil rig?

I was interested at working at an on or offshore rig and I was wondering if there was anyone here that could help me out, or give me places to send my resume.I have no experience and trying to get an entry level job.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Rigzone.com- lists different openings

some companies i can think of off the top of my head are:

Diamond offshore drilling
Noble Drilling
Nabors Drilling
Pride Offshore
El Paso

and thats just a few. If your starting out at the bottom of the food chain it will be rough.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Launching!

I had thoughts about going to work for H&P (Helmerich & Payne). I have 2 friend's who work for them and they get paid pretty good. They said if you can wipe your @$$, you can make it out there. 7 days on, 7 days off!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

are you mindset for offshore? Cause theres alot of on-shore drilling around the dfw area right now that will be here awhile. I'm in the local field here but I dont work on the rigs. There are endless choices in this field around here. But if your set on working on rigs might try Nomac, Baker Hughes, Nabors, Putman. Thats all I can think of. Get your cdl and your choices dont stop there. Shlumberjer, Weatherford Technoligies, Key energy, Tetra, Liberty Frac, Diamond Back energy, Halaberton. Theres frac, flowback, drilling, directional drilling, location site setup, SEI does oilfield work out here. Water re-location, like I said theres alot of stuff to do in-land, but if offshore is your gig, I'd go for that. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by avengedws6
are you mindset for offshore? Cause theres alot of on-shore drilling around the dfw area right now that will be here awhile. I'm in the local field here but I dont work on the rigs. There are endless choices in this field around here. But if your set on working on rigs might try Nomac, Baker Hughes, Nabors, Putman. Thats all I can think of. Get your cdl and your choices dont stop there. Shlumberjer, Weatherford Technoligies, Key energy, Tetra, Liberty Frac, Diamond Back energy, Halaberton. Theres frac, flowback, drilling, directional drilling, location site setup, SEI does oilfield work out here. Water re-location, like I said theres alot of stuff to do in-land, but if offshore is your gig, I'd go for that. Good luck.
I never knew Baker Hughes had oil rig's or whatever. I know they make like the tools and everything for oil rigs cause my friend works as a machinest for Baker.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GunshotZ28
They said if you can wipe your @$$, you can make it out there. 7 days on, 7 days off!

^ i lol'd at that because honestly some of these guys out here, questionable on even that simple task
Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I used to design them, does that count. LOL.

Try Rigzone.com for sure.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

with no experience, you'll want to look for a gig with a drilling contractor like some of those mentioned:

H&P
Nabors
Patterson-UTI

There are literally thousands of these companies worldwide, so you need to find which ones are working in your area. Also, Waco is not a hot bed of activity, so I'd say your most desirable location would probably be a job in the Ft. Worth area with Nomac (owned by Cheseapeake). Otherwise, you're looking at moving north or to the gulf coast / offshore. I don't know much about offshore except you'll make more because of the time and risks involved.

I say put in some time onshore and learn about drilling, and then try to move offshore if you still feel the need.

BTW, be prepared to work your *** off.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, I've worked for Chesapeake as a Well Inspecter, and Tetra doing high pressure flowbacks. I currently drive a transport truck. If I were you I would work for a flowback company or a frac company. Roughnecking is bullshit work. Your at the bottom of the food chain, and you get treated like your a peice of ****. I have to short of a fuse to work on a rig as a roughneck. There's plenty of other work, for good companies with the same pay. Coiled Tubbing, Wireline, Fracs, Flowbacks, Well Testing, etc.... As a flowback hand, if you are on a job that lasts for about a month or so, you can take home about $10000 in your pocket, not including per diem which is $35/day. So it's about $13000 before taxes, and if you include per diem to that, it's $14050. But the draw back is you are on location that whole month. It's an awesome job if you are single, or if you have a wife that doesn't really care if your gone 2-3 months at a time! Mine didn't like it or I would still be doing it. Awesome money! But I would deff. look for other jobs rather than roughnecking.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1FAST02FORMULAHAWK
^ i lol'd at that because honestly some of these guys out here, questionable on even that simple task
I don't know man, that's just what two of my friends who work for H&P told me. I also have another friend who works for Pioneer Drilling. He also said it's easy and the only bad part is that you have to work out in the cold for 12 hours straight. My uncle is a mechanic for Nabors. He's been working for them for a good 10-12 years. He said it's easy and nice, cause the fact he also works 7 on, 7 off.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Launching!

transocean is a big one out here in the gulf. id say 90% of the rigs i goto are owned by them.
i ab but a loly mudlogger. heh just doing my time and working as hard/much as possible with this company till i can get my hands on a mwd job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone here work at an oil rig?