Work out junkies come in. Part II

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 190 lbs., so 190 g of protein is what I would need to consume a day. 1 scoop of the ON Whey Protein has 24 g. So if I took 2 a day, one before work out and one after would be good. That would be 48 g of protein just with those 2 scoops/drinks. I would mix them with 2% milk, which has 8 g of protein per cup and there's 8 oz in a cup, which means 1 g per ounce. So if I mix 8 oz of milk per scoop and I'm taking 2 scoops, then that's 16 more grams of protein. So between the 2 shakes, that's 64 g of protein. I'm still lacking about 126 g of protein.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club NA

The Animal Pak has 1.5 g of protein per package. I haven't decided if I'm going to take one package per day or 2.

As far as what I eat everyday, I don't know what kind of protein it has in it because I eat something different day after day.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Y dont you mix one and a half scoops or two scoops per shake and get even more protein. Plus Im gonna tell you, 190g ain't gonna cut it man. You need to lean more toward 1 1/2 - 2g per pound since you are on a bulk cycle. Lean more toward 300g at minimum. Just my recommendation. so thats 24X2=48X2=96g just from the protein in the shake, plus the 2 glasses of milk, add another 20g and there you go, 116g just from your protein shake. Now you need to get the rest from your diet and protein bars if you want. I eat 2 big colossal 100 bars a day, each account for 32g. Thats 64g+116g=180g from shakes and bars. Its that simple right there! Now you dont even have to count the amount of protein you get in your diet because it will be well over the amount you need if you keep eating protein loaded foods
Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I'm 190 lbs., so 190 g of protein is what I would need to consume a day. 1 scoop of the ON Whey Protein has 24 g. So if I took 2 a day, one before work out and one after would be good. That would be 48 g of protein just with those 2 scoops/drinks. I would mix them with 2% milk, which has 8 g of protein per cup and there's 8 oz in a cup, which means 1 g per ounce. So if I mix 8 oz of milk per scoop and I'm taking 2 scoops, then that's 16 more grams of protein. So between the 2 shakes, that's 64 g of protein. I'm still lacking about 126 g of protein.
Figure it like this. You need 190g a day. If you eat 3 meals a day, you would have to eat 64g of Protein per meal. That's a ton. That's another reason people trying to get big eat every 3 hours. It's easier to get all of the nutrition they need that way.

Now if you figure you'll have one scoop for breakfast, one before the workout, and 2 after the workout, that's 96g you've just consumed. Now you only need to eat 31g of Protein per meal. That's still a lot, but it's less than half of what you had to eat per meal if you weren't supplementing. You really need to eat 4 or 5 times a day to make it easy on yourself to get all of the nutrition you need.

Also, while Protein is extremely important to muscular growth, so are Carbohydrates. For every pound of body weight you need to consume 2-3g of Carbs. So you need twice the Carbs as you do Protein! So make sure you're eating plenty of Oatmeal, Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Whole Wheat Bread, etc.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

^^^^^^^ Good post Ben, Carbs are just important. Cant lift the weight if you aint got the energy! Fa Sho!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 AM
9 Second Club NA

El_Diablo, actually, it would have been the same. For just the products, it was $123 (GNC) vs. $118 (BB.com). BUT...I would have had to pay shipping, so it evens out. PLUS, it was convenient and readily available. There's one like 2 minutes down the road, so it all worked out. This was because GNC was having a sale and my buddy let me use his Gold Member card.

Ben R, I want to take at least 2 scoops a day because that would be equivalent to the BSN Syntha-6 I'm taking. I take 2 scoops mixed with 10 oz. of 2% milk. The Syntha-6 has 22 g of protein per scoop, while the ON 100% Whey has 24 g per scoop. I take the 2 scoops of Syntha-6 after I work out. So how would I take the ON 100% Whey? 1 scoop before, 1 scoop after, or 2 scoops after as I'm doing now?

To all those who have recommended Universal Nutrition Animal Pak, how often do you take a pack and how many do you take a day? I was thinking maybe I should take them in the morning when I wake up or with breakfast. What do you think? It's what I'll be taking for my multi-vitamin.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club NA

Also, what's the difference between MRI CE2 Hi-Def and Platinum? They're both creatine ethelyester.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe you are still helping this guy, ON THE FIRST PAGE BEN R ANSWERED ALL HIS QUESTIONS

Pre and Post Workout meals/supplements are very important to building muscle and reducing soreness.

Pre Workout (30 minutes before you start) you need 20g of Whey Protein, a slow-digesting Carb (Brown Rice, Whole Grain Bread, Sweet Potatoes), 3-5g Creatine Monohydrate, and 5-10g of Glutamine.

Post Workout (Within 30 minutes of the end of the workout) you need 40g of Whey Protein, a fast-digesting Carb (Keep it healthy as fatty foods will slow the absorbtion of the stuff your body needs to recover and rebuild), 3-5g Creatine Monohydrate, 5-10g of Glutamine. You can get the Protein and Carbs in a post-workout specific shake. The EAS stuff is my favorite.

You need to eat every 3 hours to keep a good energy level and keep your metabolism going strong. Find your bodyweight, find out how much Protein and Carbs you should be eating, find out how many calories that equates to, and divide that up by the number of meals you are eating over the course of a day to make sure you're body active.

In addition to 1g of Protein per lb. of bodyweight, you need between 1 and 2g of Carbs per lb. of bodyweight. Be smart when you eat meals with a lot of carbs. Breakfast and post-workout are the best times. At these times your body isn't worried about converting carbs to fat.

Drink a gallon of water a day.

Be sure to include some fish (Tuna, Salmon) into your diet. They are loaded with Omega-3's. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. They have lots of anti-oxidents that will keep you healthy.

When you eat red meat make sure it's lean meat. Look for something thats 90% lean or better.

There is a lot of talk about what to eat before bed. I talked with a nutritionist a few weeks ago and she suggested 1 cup of Low-Fat Cottage Cheese and 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter. They will help your body slow down your metabolism while you sleep.

Once every 10 days or so increase your normal food intake by 50% or so. This can help stimulate new growth. Make sure to keep the food healthy.

Since you're new to working out you can take it easy the first few weeks. Focus on your form and getting into a good routine. The soreness can really affect people at first and keep them from sticking with it. Once you're in a good routine and are getting used to the soreness then really kick up the intensity.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

El_Diablo, actually, it would have been the same. For just the products, it was $123 (GNC) vs. $118 (BB.com). BUT...I would have had to pay shipping, so it evens out. PLUS, it was convenient and readily available. There's one like 2 minutes down the road, so it all worked out. This was because GNC was having a sale and my buddy let me use his Gold Member card.

To all those who have recommended Universal Nutrition Animal Pak, how often do you take a pack and how many do you take a day? I was thinking maybe I should take them in the morning when I wake up or with breakfast. What do you think? It's what I'll be taking for my multi-vitamin.
Good deal at GNC! They didn't sale you some out of date protein did they? I'm just kidding man but anyway. The Animal pak..How much water do you think you can drink a day? I take one when I wake up and another one before I work out. If I don't drink 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of water, I feel like someone kicked me in the back. I also weigh 260 and train with more intensity than the average gym rat so take everything into consideration. One Pak has ALOT of stuff in it.
Also, what's the difference between MRI CE2 Hi-Def and Platinum? They're both creatine ethelyester.
I have no idea..creatine is creatine is creatine to me and like I've said before. I go for what's readily available and cheap. Pro-lab never let me down.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club NA

Yeah, it was a pretty good deal. Not sure when I'll run across it again. I almost bought the 2 lb. bottle of whey, but I thought to myself, I may not get a deal like this again, so I went with the 5 lb.

I didn't even check the expiration date, I didn't know they had any.

Water...ummm, I dunno. It's hard enough drinking 1 gallon a day. I don't think I've even hit a gallon yet in the 4 weeks I've been working out.

Here's how I want to lay it out, but this is my uneducated opinion:

Morning wake or breakfast: 1 Animal Pak & whey protein shake (1 scoop/milk)
30 minutes pre-workout: CE2 (creatine) & whey protein shake (1 scoop/milk)
30 minutes post-workout (within): whey protein shake (1 scoop/milk)

That's roughly 98 g of protein just with the above. That doesn't include anything I eat during the day. I usually eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich before I go to bed with whole wheat bread. I don't remember the grams of protein in each sandwich.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ben R
Post Workout (Within 30 minutes of the end of the workout) you need 40g of Whey Protein, a fast-digesting Carb (Keep it healthy as fatty foods will slow the absorbtion of the stuff your body needs to recover and rebuild), 3-5g Creatine Monohydrate, 5-10g of Glutamine. You can get the Protein and Carbs in a post-workout specific shake. The EAS stuff is my favorite.
If you're going to make your own shake post workout please include 2 scoops of Protein powder. Muscle growth occurs after a workout, not during. You need LOTS of nutrients after a workout to repair and rebuilt your muscles.

This will be my last post in this thread.

Protein Powder:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/mass.html

Muscle Armor:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/armor.html

Creatine Monohydrate:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/pe.html

Those products combined with my original post about nutrition and some honest hard work and you will see some impressive results if you stick with it.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 PM
9 Second Club NA

Is it better to eat dinner before or after your work out? I eat before because as soon as I get home from work (6:30 pm), I eat. If I waited till after I work out, I wouldn't eat till around 8:15 pm and that's a little late don't you think?

Then around 7-7:15 pm, I take my NoExplode drink (2 scoops/10 oz. water). Then after I'm done with my workout, I take my Syntha-6 shake (2 scoops/10 oz. of milk). I'm going to finish these products before I start using the new.

If I'm really not getting energy/pump from the NoExplode like I did the first week I was using it, would it be a good idea to bump it up another scoop from 2 to 3?

Animal Pak - It says take 30 minutes after the meal prior to your workout. I thought it was a multi-vitamin? I wanted to take this in the morning, would it be pointless to do so? Then it also says for intense training, take 2 packs a day.

CE2 (creatine ethyl-ester) - It says to take 2 caplets in the morning and 2 more 30-60 minutes before your workout. Why would it be needed in the morning?

Quick Reply: Work out junkies come in. Part II