Anyone know how to rebuilt quadrajets in H-town?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 AM
10-Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know how to rebuilt quadrajets in H-town?

Anyone here know how to rebuild quadrajets in Houston? I've never messed with one before, back when I did have carb trucks/cars, I never had any problems with them & was never forced to learn how to work on them. That's what originally got me in to wrenching, my lack of $$ to pay someone to work on stuff.

Anyhow, I have a 84 K5 Blazer I'd like to go thru the carb on but from what I've seen on a few rebuilt schematics, it seems like it's way harder than other carbs that I've seen be rebuilt like a Eldlebrock 4 barrel or something.

I wouldn't mind learning, but would like someone to maybe help me out so I don't screw it up, I don't want to spend too much $$ either on this old thing. Just trying to decide if I want to hang on to it or not, maybe if I can get it running good, I"ll keep it. My aunt was the original owner & she put another GM crate motor in & also had the tranny rebuilt at some point so I think it has some good life left in it.

I live S. on 45, let me know if you want to hang out, maybe drink a few & give me a hand with this thing some time.

edit: Capone's Pizza pub delivers here too, and they have the best Pizza IMO on this side of town, I'll feed ya too

Last edited by Modsquad; 01-21-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Order Cliff Ruggles book on building Hi-Performance Quadrajets. Great book.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM
10-Second Club

Is this the book you are talking about? I was really just wanting to get someone to hang out & give me pointers as I go along, I really don't have time to read a book right now. May just have to put off doing it until then.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

should be fairly straightforward. biggest misconception is that they are piece of **** carbs. however the people with that opinion are the ones that over look small stuff like powervalves and the incorrect jet sizes. and put it back together to wonder why it floods after a wot run.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Modsquad
Anyone here know how to rebuild quadrajets in Houston? I've never messed with one before, back when I did have carb trucks/cars, I never had any problems with them & was never forced to learn how to work on them. That's what originally got me in to wrenching, my lack of $$ to pay someone to work on stuff.

Anyhow, I have a 84 K5 Blazer I'd like to go thru the carb on but from what I've seen on a few rebuilt schematics, it seems like it's way harder than other carbs that I've seen be rebuilt like a Eldlebrock 4 barrel or something.

I wouldn't mind learning, but would like someone to maybe help me out so I don't screw it up, I don't want to spend too much $$ either on this old thing. Just trying to decide if I want to hang on to it or not, maybe if I can get it running good, I"ll keep it. My aunt was the original owner & she put another GM crate motor in & also had the tranny rebuilt at some point so I think it has some good life left in it.

I live S. on 45, let me know if you want to hang out, maybe drink a few & give me a hand with this thing some time.

edit: Capone's Pizza pub delivers here too, and they have the best Pizza IMO on this side of town, I'll feed ya too

best way to build a quadrajet.......buy a Holley or an AFB
Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
should be fairly straightforward. biggest misconception is that they are piece of **** carbs. however the people with that opinion are the ones that over look small stuff like powervalves and the incorrect jet sizes. and put it back together to wonder why it floods after a wot run.
I didn't see you offering to rebuild it :p I know they work well when they are working, I had them on some of my other old trucks & never had problems with them. Thus why I never had to learn to rebuild one.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
best way to build a quadrajet.......buy a Holley or an AFB
screw afbs. i say a bg demon.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

mmm Demon are Pretty, had a 850 on my 440 GTX
Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

carbs blah......

fuel injection
Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM
10-Second Club

Fk'n A.D.D. people....
Old 01-21-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Fk'n A.D.D. people....
hahahaha.

What kinda of car/truck are your tryin to rebuild the quadra on?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
10-Second Club

Anyhow, I have a 84 K5 Blazer I'd like to go thru the carb on ....
Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mark I got some one who can do it for you. I don't think he would come to you, but you could bring him the carb and watch and learn etc... GIve me a ring.
Jeff
Old 01-21-2008, 05:47 PM
10-Second Club

Cool, I'll get with you once I get a chance to go pull it off the Blazer. I wanted to go take more stuff to my storage & tinker a bit tonite, but I've got a sore throat from being out in all the damn cold this weekend. I missed hanging out at car meets, but this standing out in the cold getting sick SUCKS! Joe said you about got your car stitched back up, hope to see it on the road soon.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

They're good carbs and I can do it right (I read that book the first time in 1987 to work on my Hotrod 1975 Trans Am) but you would have to pay me good, that's how I make my living.

Vernon
Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Is this the book you are talking about? I was really just wanting to get someone to hang out & give me pointers as I go along, I really don't have time to read a book right now. May just have to put off doing it until then.
Yep, that's the book. Very good, with great color pictures and easy to understand instructions. Check out the Performance Years forum. Cliff posts regularly there.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/

Also, there's quite the difference of opinion on Demon carbs. Some have good luck with them, while others have had very very bad experience. There's a long thread on the PY forum regarding. But, I'd stick with the Quadrajet. Just build to your application and you'll be fine.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Teching In

I've rebuilt them many many times (have an '86 monte carlo ss that had a q-jet before swapping to FI). They really aren't that difficult to rebuild - 6 or so screws on top, two primary rods, two secondary rods and a hanger, filter, float, and valve. Simple. If you have a computer controlled q-jet (or CCC) then you will also have a mixture control solenoid and a throttle position sensor. (There are also half a dozen screws that can be adjusted, but if the carb ran fine before the rebuild there's no point in messing with them. Just clean out the passages with carb cleaner).

Just buy yourself a 1-gallon can of carb cleaner (otherwise known as "carb dip"...very nasty stuff. Make you smell funky for awhile if you get any on yourself), remove all the soft-parts from the carb (meaning complete dissassembly), soak the hard-parts in the cleaner for a couple of hours, remove from the cleaner and rinse off, use a spray-can of carb gleaner and blow out all the small passages, and then put it all back together with a new float, valve, and gaskets. Just go slow and be meticulous about the components. Note where each one came from and store them in labeled plastic bags.

They really are great carbs once you learn how to operate them. (Especially like the spring-loaded air-valves over the secondaries...which is adjustable btw). I switched my old q-jet for a Holley street avenger and wasn't very impressed, so if I had to go back to a carb I would pick a non-CCC quadrajet over a holley.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to rebuilt quadrajets in H-town?