EE job or finish Masters.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default EE job or finish Masters.

I got accepted to grad school to start on my masters this summer. However, I applied for an EE job at a plant that is local. Bc of my daughter this is a good thing. I got called to go for an interview, it looks like starting pay will be 45-55. Should I work on my masters a little here and there should the job prove to workout or go ahead and finish my masters while I am in college station and have a place to live.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $.02 it depends on what you're going to do with your Masters' degree. IMO it's a lot of money to shell out of your own pocket, but if the company picks up the tab, then it's worth it. It'll take years to recoup if you do it out of your own pocket.

If you're going in to a field like semiconductor fab, then a Masters' degree would probably do you good. If you're "just going to work for a power company" (like me), a masters' really doesn't mean a whole lot... a PE means more than a Masters' to my company.

So it kinda depends on where you're setting your long term goals.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I would go to work and start the masters at night ...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

masters sounds good chris. but so does finally getting out of school. tough choice but more money is always better.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
I got accepted to grad school to start on my masters this summer. However, I applied for an EE job at a plant that is local. Bc of my daughter this is a good thing. I got called to go for an interview, it looks like starting pay will be 45-55. Should I work on my masters a little here and there should the job prove to workout or go ahead and finish my masters while I am in college station and have a place to live.

I can give you a good contact with Dashiell/Infrasource. They design & build high voltage electrical substations and switchyards. $60k with zero experience easy. They are located on the south side of Houston.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I will working with process controls and instrumentation, calibration, installation, maintenance and new projects. I am trying to get a feel off of others opinions and compare it to my own ideas.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Banned

I disagree. If your going to do it, do it now. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to adjust back to studying.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

decisions decisions the 60K mentioned above sure is tempting. However, being divorced and staying within 45 min of where my daughter lives is also an important factor. Let me kick it around and I'll drop you a pm. Greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will working with process controls and instrumentation, calibration, installation, maintenance and new projects. I am trying to get a feel off of others opinions and compare it to my own ideas.
I work for an engineering company that specializes in process controls automation, and I have a degree in instrumentation, and I can tell you if you want your masters now is the time to get it. Now, if you're on the fence about it, then getting your PE is easier and probably worth as much if not more. A masters will get you more money, but your PE will get you more money and better opportunities. Now if you want to go hogwild, get your Masters, PE and PMP certifications and you'll be set for quite a while .

I'd say being near your daughter should be pretty high on your list, so if you can be close to her and make a decent living, I'd go for that.

One of my coworkers just quit to finish his masters at A&M, as he was taking about 6 hours at A&M while working full-time and commuting up to College Station over the last 2 years. His biggest complaint wasn't the drive or the lack of time, but the fact that doing it slowly like that was draining him and his wife, so he bit the bullet and went full-bore to get it done. Like everyone will probably tell you, once you go to work and start getting the cash, you'll find it almost impossible to go back to school (unless your a freak like another coworker who has a million degrees and just loves school ).

Tom
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

I had the almost the exact kinda decision to make and I chose work. I think I made a great choice because experience has got me a long ways but more schooling looks good when applying but is rarely used in a plant.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

No one has mentioned if you go to work now, your company will probably pay for your additional education(masters and/or PE).
Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Veteran

All of these are definitely points I have been rolling around. I think when I go for the interview I am going to feel them out and see if the opportunity is there for the company to advocate advanced education and see if I can work and get it on someone elses dime.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's really the way to do it. I know several guys where I used to work that got their MSEE's while on the job. The program was awesome, company paid 100% as long as you got a B or better in the course. Even I took a class. My current company will reimburse up to $500/yr for school. Can't hardly buy books for that these days.

My point is, if the difference between pay is $5k/yr between having and not having your masters', and you spend $35k of your own money to get your masters', it's going to take you a long time to recoup that $35k - and by then you could have your PE, which in your field is probably more important than your masters'. Feel out the difference in pay between starting salary for masters vs. bachelors. But if the company pays for it, or even most of it, do that for sure.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't been in engineering all that long (4years), but I from what I've seen you get paid/hired for experience in engineering and not so much for schooling. I have not pursued my masters as of now....not sure if it will bite me/limit me later on in my career but I haven't seen it yet nor felt pressure from any of my managers to go back to school.

My advice would be if you do decide to take a job, make sure it is something that will allow you growth....training opportunities, mentorship, etc. Make youself as diverse as possible.

I have been told this over and over again....engineers need to move around early on in their career to make money. I'm about to make my first move and it's proven to be true in my case.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Veteran

On the Flip side to this I have previous plant electrical HVAC experience about four years prior to me making the decision to go back to school. So I'm not green to it also helps a little I hope.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't see a need for a masters if you already have an engineering degree. Lets face it, some degrees out there just suck and almost require having a masters degree. This isn't the case for any engineering degree.

I've interviewed plenty of engineers in my career, and having a masters never once swayed me to a decision on hiring them. I'm more interested in experience and personal skills.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

If your an engineering major, an MBA (in addition to your BSEE) is probably worth more $$ than an engineering masters degree. An MBA will really help you get into management down the road, although its not required. And you probably won't use the material learned in the MSME program unless you are doing some serious research work and/or planning on teaching.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

MBA was /is my plan
Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

MBA was /is my plan

Sounds like a good plan. I'd go to work and do the Masters at night. Some companies might not let you get reimbursement until after a year of employment with them, so I'd check on it and maybe try to negotiate that instant benefit into your contract.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

my .02 is that you will want to get the job.. take the job because it dont matter if you have a masters, bachelor.. WTF ever.... If you have experience and know what you are doing you will make the money..

example... I have a bachelor degree in computer network systems..
Yet I have a job in engineering.... Its about what you know, and not really what your degree says you know.... I have seen alot of master degreed people who are ******* stupid... They cant get jobs either because, yes they have a masters, but they have no experience to back the degree.... That is what alot of employers are looking for..

The experience is a make or break deal..