inherited a 97(?) Chevy 2500...possible plans...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008 | 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default inherited a 97(?) Chevy 2500...possible plans...need advice

well guys...i just recently inherited a truck. it belonged to my father and he NEVER washed it...had so much mud in the back, it was literally growing plants lol well i was going to sell UNTIL i washed it, as many here know...us LS1 owners are the best at washing lol so my gf and i detailed it for 4 hours and after we realized its beauty. Iv always wanted a truck...so im thinkin about keeping it...not as a daily or anything...but something to use for fun in the mud or something.

so heres my question...
anyone know where i can get a good priced suspension lift kit...im lookin to gain atleast 6 inches without losing an arm and a leg lol

what about body lift? any good?

im new to trucks...so i need some help.
also know of any good truck forums?
Old 03-16-2008 | 09:46 PM
Launching!

A 6-inch lift is going to cost around 1500 bucks. Or your could do it the cheap way and crank up the torsion bars but ride quality will suffer(very stiff) and alignment will be off.

OR you could do a solid front axle conversion, like a dana 44 or 60 front axle out of and 80's 3/4 ton or half ton. Then sell your old IRS front suspention to pay for the swap. This would be the easiest way maybe and much cooler.
Old 03-16-2008 | 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

IMHO After owning selling and dropping several trucks back to factory that I have lifted leave it alone. A body lift is nothing but trouble in the long run if you plan on keeping the truck. The biggest being engine and a/c cooling issues due to the fan shroud being split apart and the fan not centered correctly. On mine the cab mount on the right front broke out of the floor around the lift block at the 175K mile mark. Susupension lift is the way to do it but it's costly and the ride and handling both ways sucks. however depending on how old you are you may not care. For me it was cool at first and then as I got older and the truck older the little things that used to not bother me really started to annoy me since it was my daily driver.
Mine is a K3500 lwb big block for reference.
Old 03-16-2008 | 11:37 PM
Launching!

You can find a good 6" suspension lift at 4wheelparts.com. They have some suspension specials for a pretty good price. Probably no more then like $800 for everything. Only thing is you'll be running blocks in the rear instead of springs.
Old 03-16-2008 | 11:44 PM
On The Tree

go with body lift..its a **** ton easier and less expensive and they look cooler imo
Old 03-16-2008 | 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

If it's a 4wd everything to do the lift correctly is closer to 1500.00 for a trailmaster etc kit that has all of the right parts
Old 03-16-2008 | 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camAro242
go with body lift..its a **** ton easier and less expensive and they look cooler imo
Not with that nasty *** gap between the frame and body
Old 03-17-2008 | 09:00 AM
10-Second Club

Originally Posted by camAro242
Body lifts are utter trash, DO NOT GET ONE. Also, don't do blocks in the back, spend the money & get springs. If you are going to lift it, lift it right or don't bother. You best bet is going to some chevy 4x4 forums & do your homework the same way you would here & not depend on a few people in the LS1tech community. The question you should be asking is, where's a good 4x4 forum for your model truck. 4 Wheel Parts can some times be a pain to deal with, I've read some bad stuff about them, but I have no personal experience with them. Please do your homework before dealing with them or any shop.
Old 03-17-2008 | 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

check out pavementsucks dot com . . . all kinds of lifted trucks, mostly Dodges or http://performancetrucks.net/forums/index.php
Old 03-17-2008 | 10:06 AM
10-Second Club

www.pirate4x4.com but they are pretty unfriendly to noobs, so check the noob question forums.
Old 03-17-2008 | 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i know that the suspension lift is the best way to go...

i figured out last night that it was a 99.
the truck really is in poor/fair condition. not in good enough condition to put an expensive kit on it though. im not toooo worried about long term effects...
i dont really plan on doing any rock climbing or anything crazy with it...maybe hull around my bike or jet ski (no way in hell am i puting a ball hitch on the TA lol)

but either way it seems like im going to be paying around $800-$1500 to have a descent kit...

well guess i need to start working more lol anyone need some flame work? lol i have a paypal now
Old 03-17-2008 | 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cheap, 3" body lift, crank the TBs and get some 315 or 305. Rims and tires cost the most.
Old 03-17-2008 | 10:49 AM
10-Second Club

Well, if the truck isn't in that great of condition cosmetically, then that makes it all the better for an off road truck, you won't be so scared to scratch that pretty paint.

The best thing you can do is get good tires & know how to drive, with those two things (and lockers) you'd be amazed at what you can go thru @ stock height.
Old 03-17-2008 | 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Modsquad
Body lifts are utter trash, DO NOT GET ONE. Also, don't do blocks in the back, spend the money & get springs. If you are going to lift it, lift it right or don't bother. You best bet is going to some chevy 4x4 forums & do your homework the same way you would here & not depend on a few people in the LS1tech community. The question you should be asking is, where's a good 4x4 forum for your model truck. 4 Wheel Parts can some times be a pain to deal with, I've read some bad stuff about them, but I have no personal experience with them. Please do your homework before dealing with them or any shop.
x2 no body lift.. they suck bad.. will ruin your car....