Will pulling a truck in neutral ruin transmission???

Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will pulling a truck in neutral ruin transmission???

My brother has a 94 dodge ram 1500 that his transmission went out on. It started whinning real loud so he called to have a friend pull it home. He had the truck running while another truck pulled him home. Once we got home our neighbor who owns a transmission shop, said that pulling a truck without cutting the drive shaft loose will ruin the tranny? Is this true? He also said $2500 to rebuild it!!!! He also said something about using a ram jack to spread the frame to get it out or else you will have to beat it out? I never heard of such a thing thats why I wanted to ask you guys. What do you guys think?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sometimes. It happened to my uncle. He pulled his truck 25 miles and 2 miles from my house the trans locked up. But i have done it a few times and everything was ok.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong guys) pulling a vehicle with a manual transmission is when there is danger of damaging the trans. Disconnecting the driveshaft solves this problem. Unless I'm mistaken, pulling an auto equipped vehicle (in neutral) is okay.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like bullshit to me. why would they even put N on the tree if it was bad for your car to move while in neutral.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong guys) pulling a vehicle with a manual transmission is when there is danger of damaging the trans. Disconnecting the driveshaft solves this problem. Unless I'm mistaken, pulling an auto equipped vehicle (in neutral) is okay.
Thats what I always thought? I was thinking that maybe if the truck wasn't running then maybe the driveshaft spinning would cook the tranny fluid MAYBE but the truck was running which I think keeps the tranny fluid pumping when running. I might be wrong (IM DEFINITELY NOT A TRANNY GUY)...He said something that since it was whinning the pump probably went out and burned up the tranny. Another thing I dont get is that if the tranny is burned up what harm is it going to do pulling it?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I think you have it vice versa. I've heard to never roll an automatic in neutral, but there's nothing wrong with rolling a manual.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont even see how it would hurt the tranny in an auto. Is there anything even moving in the trans with it in N?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

depends on make/model, most std/auto will damage trans if pulled with shaft installed because the shaft turning will turn some
parts/bearing/clutchs in the rear housing of trans even with trans in nuetral
just my $ 0.02 Johnny
Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by newton
I think you have it vice versa. I've heard to never roll an automatic in neutral, but there's nothing wrong with rolling a manual.

You are probably right. I knew it was one or the other.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Launching!

price and ramjack? sounds like some b/s to me, $2500 better have a darn good warranty, maybe even a free replacement. haha but i'd disconnect the driveshaft to be on the safe side. the pump might not be circulating the fluid to keep the rotating parts cool and whatever broke might have metal peices reckin shop in their also.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

For the record, I have towed a few auto cars (short distances...less than 10 miles) and have never had a problem.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

just pull the drive shaft and dont worry about it
Old 04-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Banned

I didn't read all replies good.

If it's a manual you can tow with the DS on because the fluid is circulated by gear movement.

With an automatic it doesn't matter if it's in neutral, reverse, drive, if the engine isn't running the clutches are not engaged but moving against each other and could burn, or glaze them.

But you say they towed it with the engine running, the engine is connected to the torque converter, and the torque converter drives the pump, so when ever the engine runs the fluid circulates. Towing with the engine running shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

So what about all the old people with huge RV's pulling suv's and cars that you damn well know aren't manual tranny cars? Do they really have the driveshafts pulled then reinstalled as they pull their car around the country?

I always wondered this after I heard the rumor that it will screw your ride up.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by connexion2005
So what about all the old people with huge RV's pulling suv's and cars that you damn well know aren't manual tranny cars? Do they really have the driveshafts pulled then reinstalled as they pull their car around the country?

I always wondered this after I heard the rumor that it will screw your ride up.
They have stand alone pumps.
http://www.remcotowing.com/lube_pump.php
Old 04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which trans shop does your neighbor own?

He is right about it likely causing more extensive damage. Don't know what he means about a ram jack-what is a ramjack? You sure he wasn't talking about a normal trans jack?
2,500 does sound high for that trans but he maybe thinking it needs a reman unit if the trans is now a boat anchor.
A darn good warranty with free replacement? Any tranmission work should come with free replacement but most people opt to go to a less than reputable shop who only warranty labor and parts REPLACED. Then they screw people if they have a comeback and tell them they didn't replace this part etc.

Most of the blue hairs tow SUV's that have a transfer case and put the t-case in neutral so the trans isn't turning.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ross is right about the stand alone pumps, too. I forgot about those. Saw a cadillac with a stand alone pump that failed and that trans was a total boat anchor and had to have a reman installed.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

ram jack is bull ****, the cross member has like 12 bolts in it were it bolts to the frame, once u get those out, lube up the sides and motivate the cross member with a hammer not hard at all. The rebuild will be expensive youd be better off getting one from the wrecking yard and putting a trans cooler on it.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Teching In

ive pulled many dodge trans and you dont need a ramjack, thats bs. The crossmember could be a bitch to pull off other than that its cake.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
Which trans shop does your neighbor own?

He is right about it likely causing more extensive damage. Don't know what he means about a ram jack-what is a ramjack? You sure he wasn't talking about a normal trans jack?
2,500 does sound high for that trans but he maybe thinking it needs a reman unit if the trans is now a boat anchor.
A darn good warranty with free replacement? Any tranmission work should come with free replacement but most people opt to go to a less than reputable shop who only warranty labor and parts REPLACED. Then they screw people if they have a comeback and tell them they didn't replace this part etc.

Most of the blue hairs tow SUV's that have a transfer case and put the t-case in neutral so the trans isn't turning.
He owns Rays Transmission. Na he said Ram jack not tranny jack. I think ram jacks are used when cars frames are bent and thats what they bend them back with. He was saying a ram jack to spread the frame but to me that doesn't sound like a good ideal. I dont want anyone tweaking the frame unless its needed. Also he said for 2500 its a lifetime warranty and that when they rebuild it nothing is going to be able to tear it up. Going to be built to last. "SO THEY SAY"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will pulling a truck in neutral ruin transmission???