Planting bermuda (seed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Planting bermuda (seed)

Around the new shop I have graded all the land down where its nice and am ready to plant grass. In the past I have had mixed results with getting bermuda to grow from seed. Rye grows like a weed every time. I know that you have to keep the ground soaking wet for 2-3 weeks. But what else are you folks doing to keep it to germinate properly? Its a pretty big area, so I have to be careful and not get to carried away. Would it be a benefit to spread some fertilizer first? The land was a corn field many years ago, and has had nothing but weeds and wild grass on it, if that means anaything.

Thanks

Brandon
Old 04-07-2008, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

I would say to put fertilizer down 1st.. I have bermuda at the house and it does not seem hard at all to get growing... I killed everything a few years back and the bermuda was the only stuff that shot straight up and grew back..

But I have not ever seeded with it, but I would say it should be no different then doing a good grass job.. LOTS of fertilizer, and lots of water to get it going....
Some great soil is the key for bermuda.. that is what I have read...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

I forgot what movie it was from, but "just say you dont know". LOL
Old 04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

well I am not sure, but have read a little on it...
and wanted to put my .02 in...

and yes..

I dont know... LOL...
But I do know my bermuda grows awsome once all the weeds are killed out of it...
lol
Old 04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

you wanna put it down and keep it watered also not walk on it for that time for as much as possible..it should shoot up to 2 or 3 inches in a couple of weeks..if you put fertilizer down make sure to keep it watered so it doesnt burn..not much else to do..try to put it down when its around 75-80 outside for a couple of days..and lots and lots of water after the 1st week of putting it down..just try no to wash the seed away..

mike
Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where'd ya get the seed from?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

I havent bought it yet. Still looking, as I need to buy ALOT. If I bought it all at home depot, I would be looking at around $500 to get going. That wouldnt do it all. Bare dirt and full coverage will probably take around 1K lbs.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would wait to put down the fertilizer as to not burn the plants.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
i would wait to put down the fertilizer as to not burn the plants.
That was what I thought initially. The ground should be fine as it sits.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whoa, do a soil composition test first, you need to know what the ph and comp is. Dont just go throwing fertilizers on it, you could seriously mess the soil up to the point where anything you grow is gonna burn.

If it does infact need fertilizer, mix it in the soil, don't just sprinkle it out there or use the water method. The sun will actually extract all the nutrients before they soak it, either way, do it late in the afternoon.

I'm an agriculture student, not some crazy ***.

-Rick
Old 04-07-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RickyMartinZ28
Whoa, do a soil composition test first, you need to know what the ph and comp is. Dont just go throwing fertilizers on it, you could seriously mess the soil up to the point where anything you grow is gonna burn.

If it does infact need fertilizer, mix it in the soil, don't just sprinkle it out there or use the water method. The sun will actually extract all the nutrients before they soak it, either way, do it late in the afternoon.

I'm an agriculture student, not some crazy ***.

-Rick
I am going to drop seed and water without fertilizer. There is for sure too much raw dirt to process the fert. in anyways. I went over this afternoon with a drag and disturbed the top soil all over. I am going to let it get rained on and drag one more time before I broadcast the seed.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I worked on an "experimental farm" for several years, and did many many studies. Rye is a decent choice though, I'd go for that. Also, if you'll properly plant the Rye, about 1.75 inches into the ground, the wash problem won't be an issue, and it'll last longer into the seasons, if thats a problem around there.

Rye Grass, not Rye.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good Plan. That was usually the method we used. We just mixed it into the top soil.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are tons of little tricks, but grass is gonna grow, hell it'll grow in the bag if its wet. Just go for it.

-Rick
Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

I dont know how much bermuda you have grown from seed, but I have done it more than once before. The yield is far less, or atleast much more sensative than rye. Rye does not hold up in all day heat for sure. There will be zero shade. Planting any deeper than broadcasting on lose topsoil isnt going to happen. Too much time for 20-30K sq ft.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

ya no fertilizer would be better..and the dragging is def. a plus..i didnt know how much work u wanted to put in so i gave you the laziest way..haha..i have some experience with other seed and bermuda.. gl..i also have taken some turf management classes..lots of fun

mike
Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

hey you should put a little weed seed in there too and watch it GROW!! im just kidding but seriously that's all i was gonna write down so, good luck haha
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Don't water in the afternoon or evening. Afternoon watering leads to literally cooking your grass. Evening watering leads to fungal growth from sitting all night. Best time is early morning about 3/4" to 1" of water (thats the depth you're watering to) at least every other day. Just like the morning dew, the morning watering will both soak in and lightly evaporate off without COOKING the grass.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

We did alot of studies with A&M and SFA Etc... Watering times are kinda hit and miss, but morning is about ideal.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

hey man i was going to say before you plant seed.. i have seen the results from this stuff and we also had a guy talk to us that owns a company but its called hydromulch... its a spray on mixture, and its great.. the grass will be grow extreemly fast i mean like ready to mow by 10 days and its high quality stuff. This guy that talked to us is out of dfw and does surounding areas his website is http://www.dallaslawnexperts.com/ i would say check this out first...