2 job options ***Halliburton vs. Excaliber*** Any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 job options ***Halliburton vs. Excaliber*** Any opinions?

I know I am going to work in the oil industry, b/c where I live(hill/Johnson County), that is the best option, and moving is outa the question.
I am having a hard time deciding between the 2 and I dont really know much about either.
Anyone work for Halliburton(past or present)
or for Excaliber?

Halliburton, I will be doing Frac, and @Excaliber I would be a diesel tech. Bout the same pay.
Any advice or opinions on the companies would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

my dad has worked w/ halliburton for nearly 30 years, i wanna say 28 or 29, he is happy with it, he has been the shop manager for the snyder location, abilene, and now odessa, the snyder and abilene locations got shut down, he doesnt like the odessa arear but refuses to drop halliburton, so i guess that says something for them
Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Right on...are they good about watching out for their employees?
What I mean is, I talked to a fella earlier today that really shook me up saying that they were bad about laying off employees, or "relocating" and BAAAM...you are outa a job.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
Right on...are they good about watching out for their employees?
What I mean is, I talked to a fella earlier today that really shook me up saying that they were bad about laying off employees, or "relocating" and BAAAM...you are outa a job.

We could really use some good mechs down at Excalibur. Most of them can't troubleshoot there way out of a wet paper bag

Who did you talk to at Excalibur?
Me an AvengedWS6 both have been working there for a while but we are drivers.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

I got a call from Eddie...the shop foreman. He worked for Halliburton in the past and was kinda warning me about them. Understandably, he would have reason to 'modifey' the truth, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
A different character, but seemed to shoot pretty straight.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for KBR who used to be a subsidiary of Halliburton.. no complaints here....
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
I work for KBR who used to be a subsidiary of Halliburton.. no complaints here....
What do you mean used to be? On paper maybe but not in reality. You and I both know that the same hands are still in the same pots. It's cool though, I never had any problems with them in the two years I did the overseas gig.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
LS7 Member

I went to a well site where they were doing a frac job recently. You would be around loud equipment in remote locations. From what I gathered there can be extremely long days depending on the progress made, but the days can also be short. Tons of water, sand, chemicals, trucks, and other large machinery (pumps, engines, ect.) will be on a frac site. It was pretty neat to see all the big mobile equipment in action.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a mechanic for Halliburton at the Kilgore district. The hours suck, we chase frac crews and make road calls for every other department. Most of the time it isn't hard work, but it can be very demanding at times. I can tell you from going on frac jobs on a daily basis, I would not work in frac. There are so many things out there that could hurt you it's crazy. The iron is heavy (we use 3" and 4" high pressure iron 15,000 psi) and the job will tear up your body. The chemicals will do some damage as well if you get some of them on you.

I would take the mechanic position. If you want I can post up some pics later of some jobs I have been on. It might give you a better idea of what goes on at a frac job.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy_S
What do you mean used to be? On paper maybe but not in reality. You and I both know that the same hands are still in the same pots. It's cool though, I never had any problems with them in the two years I did the overseas gig.
Its a Polically Correct world....
Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I sure am glad to see that somepeople here can give me some insight.
I appreciate it!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned

I worked for Halliburton years ago in the engineering department. The pay sucked, the raises sucked, it was very complacent with not much room for growth. Many of the people that are in higher positions have been there for a long time and not going anywhere. About the only good things I can say for the company is that they are obviously stable and not going bankrupt anytime soon, so thats a plus. They have good training and good learning ground for better things later. I would avoid field work as someone has already pointed out that the conditions are bad and it gets old very quick, although I understand the money is good. I personally know people that are on permanent disability from being out in the field and having something blow-up in their face. Thats ok if its your thing but it sure aint mine. I'd try Excaliber if it were me.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

I was trying to get in with Halliburton ever since I graduated, but those ******* never wanted to hire me. Even after 3 interviews and a tour of the yard and everything. Talk about being let down, lol. But anyway, from what I gathered: Working Frac with Halliburton is gonna be a lot of work. Expect at least 3 jobs a week and only a few days off a month...but then again, that's South Texas so it might be a little more layed back somewhere else. Some of the chemicals aren't the best to work with, but I spent 6yrs making them at a different company so they won't kill you. Although I do feel like they caused me to have more flem, lol. Machinery is loud, but that's the kind of thing I like. Nothing like a bunch of high horsepowered trucks pumping away. Some jobs will require you to stay overnight so don't expect to come home everyday. In all honesty, Halliburton pays the least for entry level personel, but for most people it's good enough. I don't know much about Excaliber, other than I used to use their barite to make mud, but I'm sure they would be the better choice.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Haliburton has changed somethings...for instance...now you work a 6-3. Six days on, 3 days off. You are payed for a 20hr day, regardless of what you work, and you get time ina half after the typical 40.
I decided to take the Haliburton job for a few reasons:
1. It is a MUCH closer drive.
2. Benefits are just plain unbeatable!
3. Longstanding company. On this Barnett Shell here, we see companies come and go on a daily baisis. Haliburton is going no where.
4. This is a free way to get my CDL, Hazmat, and Tankers licenses. From here, if it sux, I will have more experience and qualifications than I would as simply a diesel tech at Excaliber.
Thanks all of yall for your insight!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Been with Halliburton for about four yrs now. Started off as a mech but moved over to Coiled tubing. Was there before Hertal moved in. I like field work, but in frac to many kids handeling dangerous high press equip. Remember always open before you close a valve. And dont pump against any closed valve. It happens. Back in Nov. 07 Two brothers on the same crew were killed, Press was in exes of 20,000 psi. I heard around 25,000. Its easy but it isnt a play ground. This can happen at any company-but everyone looks at Halliburton for any screw up. Do all your training and schools and move around for advancement.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tillery
Two brothers on the same crew were killed, Press was in exes of 20,000 psi. I heard around 25,000.
At those pressures I'm thinking they used a little brown paper bag to recover the remains.

Better be careful out there...
Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
I got a call from Eddie...the shop foreman. He worked for Halliburton in the past and was kinda warning me about them. Understandably, he would have reason to 'modifey' the truth, but he seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
A different character, but seemed to shoot pretty straight.

I think you made a good choice. The only thing about Excalibur is you will be home every night and we work 4-2 shift 12 hours a day thats why I like it. If Haliburton doesnt work out I'd get my CDL and be a driver for Excalibur its not a bad deal $ but I guarantee you its no safer than working on a rig.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Phantom...that is kinda my thought process. Get my license and IF it sux, I could move over to a company like Excalibur and have a better schedule.
Hey Tillery, thanks for the warning! Yeah, I will keep my eyes open. I figure after bein a cop for 5yrs, this cant be TOO MUCH more dangerous!lol
Just have to watch your *** and remember to watch the other guy too!
I really hope this works out....I start tommorow. Ill be spending a week in the yard, then next week they are sending me to Duncan, OK for 5 weeks for training! :O
Old 05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Halliburton and BJ both have great New Employee Orintation training. But its up to you to use it. Seen alot of law enforcement coming to work out here too. Its not only the pay but the benifits also. Work isnt to hard-look at most of the crews are a bunch of "heavy" guys. In the long run you can make more money in Frac-Cement-than as a mech.