which rotors and pads to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which rotors and pads to get?

alright so im getting new rotors and pads

im pretty set on the ebc drilled/slotted rotors unless there are a lot of yall that experienced problems but dont know if I should go with the HAWK HPS pads or the REDSTUFF EBC pads

this is also my daily driver
Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use Hawk HPS pads with Duralast rotors. This combo gives great stopping power and is great for a dd, and the Duralast rotors are very easy on the wallet.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was debating between Autozone Duralasts or the Rotoworks set from WS6Store. Shipping really kills the deal though, IMO.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny enough I bought those cheap cross drilled/slotted rotors off ebay and they've worked great for about 2 years now. go figure. i use werner or wagner (don't remember) thermo quiet pads and it seems to be a great combo so far
Old 05-17-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The good thing about the EBC rotors is that they are coated. Just know that the holes and slots are there for asthetics only. People will say the slots help in the rain and they keep the pads from glazing. I disagree with this and yes I have slotted rotors on my car and yes I got them for looks alone. If your pads are glazing, you have too cold of a pad for your driving habbits.

The redstuff pads may not like the cold. The more agressive pads perform better when warmed. Their affinity for higher temps also aids in fade resistance. The other thing about them, they are a hard pad. Where do I get this? Right from their website "Being a hard wearing pad...." You are going to wear down your rotors quicker than you would with the semi metallic HPS. So no the pad may not dust much, but the rotor material they remove will make a nice rusty looking coat on the wheels if you don't wash it off regularly.

Another pad to look at is the Axxis/PBR Metal Master. I'm running these on my daily driver and they do very well and don't dust a lot either. My wheels are a pretty open 5 spoke design so if they did, I'd know it.

Something I like to stress that is highly overlooked by most is to CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID. Get you some good performance fluid and flush until it runs clean. I like ATE superblue for performance vs. price but Motul and others are good too. Brake fluid should be changed regularly like all other fluids.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
funny enough I bought those cheap cross drilled/slotted rotors off ebay and they've worked great for about 2 years now. go figure. i use werner or wagner (don't remember) thermo quiet pads and it seems to be a great combo so far
Care to buy some used Thermoquiets with a lot of life left in them? I pulled them off my car shortly after installing them because I didn't care for them. They're fine for stock replacement, but don't expect anything more than stock braking performance out of them.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Care to buy some used Thermoquiets with a lot of life left in them? I pulled them off my car shortly after installing them because I didn't care for them. They're fine for stock replacement, but don't expect anything more than stock braking performance out of them.
I bought them cuz they were recommended by David @ MTI to be honest. He said a lot of their customers use those pads on their cars and again, I'm no rotor or pad guru, that's why I asked them to begin with but so far I've been pretty happy and they've lasted a LOONG time as well
Old 05-18-2008, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

after a lot of searching on here, I went with Autozone rotors and Satisfied pads. I was happy with them.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Hawk.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Launching!

i got bear decela and hawk pads and i can actually feel the difference when braking especaily from a high speed there not the best but hey i'm happy
they are slotted and cross drilled for to help them cool down faster and stay cooler and you can get tem at autozone with a three year warrenty against warping and anything else really

oh and definatly get ceremic pads the have much much less brake dust
Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fotis
they are slotted and cross drilled for to help them cool down faster and stay cooler

oh and definatly get ceremic pads the have much much less brake dust
Rotors are a heat sink, with more mass they are more effective. The slots and holes do NOTHING for performance. They are driveway jewelry and nothing more. Don't buy into the marketing hype.

Ceramic pads do dust less but again, they are a harder pad so they are harder on rotors.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Rotors are a heat sink, with more mass they are more effective. The slots and holes do NOTHING for performance. They are driveway jewelry and nothing more. Don't buy into the marketing hype.

Ceramic pads do dust less but again, they are a harder pad so they are harder on rotors.
your right about the heat sink and mass cause the bigger the better but actually the holes do help with keeping them cooler and the slots help make your pads straight much like you would smothe out some thing or sharpen a blade they help by removing and rough edges on the pads so that they are completly flat... who had told you that if i may ask

your also right about the pads i belive carbon are the best for the rotor however i HATE brake dust
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did I get that? From several guys that race plus my 20+ years of working on and modifying cars.
Spend some time on FRRAX.
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/

Holes and slots are bling and nothing more and I'll stand by that. The only way to run cooler rotors are more mass, duct work, directional veins, or don't use them.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 05-19-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also your theory on the slots keeping the pads flat is off. If your calipers flex then you will get tapered pads which are not flat. Plus any high friction surface to surface mating area is going to adapt to the other. In other words, if your rotors have a high spot, the pads will inevitably develop a corresponding low spot. Slots don't prevent warpage or uneven rotor wear and this is what dictates how your pads wear since they are the softer material.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

i just bought brembo rotors and hawk pads! Im sure ill be happy with this setup
Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
i just bought brembo rotors and hawk pads! Im sure ill be happy with this setup
Did you get the brembo blanks and hawk hps pads?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

^no drilled

Last edited by mycamaroSS; 05-19-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brembo is good stuff. Each front rotor is a good 2.5lbs heavier than stock.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Launching!

its what i've been told and so far your the only one saying otherwise i hear yea but its a week case .... but then again you might be right
Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

just got my brand new powerslot rotors and hawk HPS pads, and russell stainless steel lines should be a good combo.

Chad