hi guys cali guy who might be moving to texas!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi guys cali guy who might be moving to texas!

Well it has been let known to me that if i want to relocate to houston at the new costco warehouse that they are opening, i will have a full time supervisor position ! it pays fairly well close to $40-45k after my bonuses! i am only 22 and have been with the company for 4yrs! anyways my fiance will have an office job around $20k a year thats a lot of help! i been researching the housing market and for $200k you can literally buy a mansion, beautiful homes from that price range! i can easily afford something like that i am debt free thank god lol! so my ? is is it worth it! i live in a fairly nice place here in cali but i am renting! what i am worried about is the weather and the crime rate! what would you guys do? i just like the ls1 scene in texas especially the night scene lol! any input on nice parts of town and things to do would be great!

**EDIT**

Also are their any good emission exempt towns that are not too far away from houston?

Last edited by redformulaws6; 05-19-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Resident

it looks like call guy when you are tired just so you know
Old 05-19-2008, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

texas over cali any day of the year....cali laws suck.....the over all car scene is good here in houston we have quite a few car clubs to choose from
Old 05-19-2008, 03:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
it looks like call guy when you are tired just so you know
Lol, that is what I saw, but I didn't click the link for that reason.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are really no houses for sale... and the crime is horrible. You should just stay there.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Launching!

I moved here (Tomball a suburb North west of Houston) in June of 05 from Willow Glen (Los Gatos Northern Cali) on a job transfer and I'm only pissed that I didn't do it a lot sooner. So far as crime goes lets just say the roughest "hood" here (which I been b/c of making deliveries) is prolly a shade safer than the roughest part of Bakersfield. Like anywhere else there are the places you just don't go unless you're looking for trouble. Over-all it is a wonderful place to live, very diverse, and most people are quite friendly and helpful. I kinda felt the same when I was in your shoes and was about to move here, I heard the same bs crime stories (by people who hadn't even been to Tx). Believe me Houston itself is a hell of a lot safer than La or East Oakland and you can actually afford to earn a decent living out here.The housing market is awesome for a buyer, but just imo I don't think at 22 a 200K house is the wisest move. My folks live in a quite well to do suburb in Cali where I grew up so I feel where you're coming from, but on the other hand unless you need 4000 sq feet and a huge pool you'll find 130 - 155K will get you something very realistic in any nice part of town. Our property taxes kinda suck (they're high) but thats my only complaint. Hope this helps and sorry for the long book but like I said I was in your shoes about three years ago. Do yourself a favor and come on down, G/l.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

oh no another cali person wantint to take our land!!! noooooooooooo

lol
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Default job transfer

Houston and the surrounding suburbs is BIG. So don't look at houses on-line on the southeast side of town, when your new job is on the northwest side of town. About 80% of the murders on the news here are always on the southwest side of town. So stay away from there is my advice. Try to live close to your job. Where is it going to be? Traffic can be bad here. I also recommend you stay out of Harris county! Its the 2nd largest county in the USA. Right behind Los Angeles. Higher taxes and higher car insurance. October to May its really nice here. June to September its really HOT. So be ready for that.Here is a good website for house shopping.
http://www.har.com/cs_body2.cfm
Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Stay over there, Cali people are wierd, we are trying to get rid of the hicks around here and we dont want to replace them with people like ya'll.

Yes, we say ya'll, you dont even have to be a redneck to say it.

J/K, come on over, the price of living is as good as it gets compaired to there. You will be glad you did, our cars kick your cars asses, its that simple.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did we mention smog ***** are rare over here? oh and tell your girl to bring some of her sisters, maybe we can train them to the way we like em lol *LOL gets the hate mail box ready to be swarmed full of email i'm about to get for that statement!!! LOL*
Old 05-19-2008, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dc8fixer
Houston and the surrounding suburbs is BIG. So don't look at houses on-line on the southeast side of town, when your new job is on the northwest side of town. About 80% of the murders on the news here are always on the southwest side of town. So stay away from there is my advice. Try to live close to your job. Where is it going to be? Traffic can be bad here. I also recommend you stay out of Harris county! Its the 2nd largest county in the USA. Right behind Los Angeles. Higher taxes and higher car insurance. October to May its really nice here. June to September its really HOT. So be ready for that.Here is a good website for house shopping.
http://www.har.com/cs_body2.cfm
i really like this home where is this located

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...3&backButton=Y
Old 05-19-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

humble is north of houston, really nice area, i believe thats where NineBall resides
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Where is the job located, let us know that and we can help more.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Like others have said, you should have a household income of 60k, sure you can probably make the note on 200k but it will be tight, you need to think about taxes, bills, insurance, maintenance etc. You can find something nice for around 150k depending on the area.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redformulaws6
i really like this home where is this located

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...3&backButton=Y
Humble is Northeast and the road 1960 in this area has everything you need for shopping. No murder problems here. Its in Harris county though and if you look at the map and go left a little bit. There is a huge garbage landfill off wilson road and it can stink in this area. If you live about 8 miles north of here(follow hwy 59 to the Porter area) you will be in Montgomery county and will pay a lot less for car, home owner insurance, and taxes. Plus, will get even more house for your money.Do a search under the NewCaney school district.Where is the job going to be at?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Stay over there, Cali people are wierd, we are trying to get rid of the hicks around here and we dont want to replace them with people like ya'll.

Yes, we say ya'll, you dont even have to be a redneck to say it.

J/K, come on over, the price of living is as good as it gets compaired to there. You will be glad you did, our cars kick your cars asses, its that simple.
hey man, my theory is, there arent gangs in tomball (wear i live) because country ppl (and yes some rednecks) are worse about packing heat than gang members! but yeah come over here! way better gun laws, a lot safer (legality wise) to drive around a modded car, and we say yall. im sure your already used to heat and humidity (are you from the coast)
Old 05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

no i am from bakersfield, used to the heat thats for sure! gets over 100 degrees here in the summer..........
Old 05-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redformulaws6
Well it has been let known to me that if i want to relocate to houston at the new costco warehouse that they are opening, i will have a full time supervisor position ! it pays fairly well close to $40-45k after my bonuses! i am only 22 and have been with the company for 4yrs! anyways my fiance will have an office job around $20k a year thats a lot of help! i been researching the housing market and for $200k you can literally buy a mansion, beautiful homes from that price range! i can easily afford something like that i am debt free thank god lol! so my ? is is it worth it! i live in a fairly nice place here in cali but i am renting! what i am worried about is the weather and the crime rate! what would you guys do? i just like the ls1 scene in texas especially the night scene lol! any input on nice parts of town and things to do would be great!
You will be working at the same place as me then. The Costco they are building is pretty close to down town Houston, so no matter where you live traffic is going to suck.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Depemds on the time of day, my normal work hours are so i beat the traffic.

Daniel....you ready to get that *** drug???
Old 05-19-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reject
did we mention smog ***** are rare over here?
Not for long with all the liberal tree huggers from Cali moving in, especially in the Austin area.

Quick Reply: hi guys cali guy who might be moving to texas!