which bike to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
a buddy of mine just bought a R6. never rode a bike, and his first bike. my buddy with a bad *** hayabusa taught him how to ride in 15 minutes.. he said that he feels like he could have gone bigger.

like i said, girls are out there rollin around in 1000's. so i say atleast a 1000. a 600 i think would be a waste of money. if i were gonna get a small bike and first bike it would definitely be atleast a 750 or 1000 for sure.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

a buddy of mine just bought a R6. never rode a bike, and his first bike. my buddy with a bad *** hayabusa taught him how to ride in 15 minutes.. he said that he feels like he could have gone bigger.

like i said, girls are out there rollin around in 1000's. so i say atleast a 1000. a 600 i think would be a waste of money. if i were gonna get a small bike and first bike it would definitely be atleast a 750 or 1000 for sure.
you're one of the ones that ends up as a grease spot on the highway.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure he learned it all in 15 minutes

The few people that actually ride gave you good advice in this thread. Start off small and get comfortable with it. The advice I always give to beginners....go buy yourself an older bike off of Craigslist for cheap (less than $2K). Ride it all summer. Sell it at the end of the summer for about what you paid for it. Buy your dream bike offseason in the winter for a good price.

What the hell, I'll say it one more time...don't listen to advice from someone that "knows a guy that learned to ride in 15 minutes"
Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the right formula

The few people that actually ride gave you good advice in this thread. Start off small and get comfortable with it. The advice I always give to beginners....go buy yourself an older bike off of Craigslist for cheap (less than $2K). Ride it all summer. Sell it at the end of the summer for about what you paid for it. Buy your dream bike offseason in the winter for a good price.

What the hell, I'll say it one more time...don't listen to advice from someone that "knows a guy that learned to ride in 15 minutes"
THANK YOU!!!!

on a sidenote - i LOVE the boulevards
Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Launching!

bikes are about personal preference they al perform within tenths of a second at the track and you will never see that perfomance on the street even if you ride like a maniac idiot. each clas 600, 1000, and 1300 or so perform so close there is only the preference of what do you want to lokk at for the next couple years. look at the record books the gsxr 1000 has won the ama tilte 8 years in a row with that team only finishing out of the top three because they wreck. the gsxr is a great bullit proof bike and it has the timing switch you can keep it on number one until your are ready to get agressive. if you have wrist control and you don't let your ego control it you will be fine on a 1000 just look in your area to find a rider safety course and take it it will be money well spent. and pay attention to every one on the road. I have been riding since I was 4 years old and on the street since 14 now I am 38 and for the last yera and a half I haven't been able to walk because of a 17 year old girl on a cell phone who ran into me taking my left foot and breaking my femur. BE CAREFUL . If I didn't have kids to worry about I would be riding again now but they would freak.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Like I said, this isnt a game or who has the bigger *****/breast. Buy a Slower bike at 1st cause driving a car and riding a bike or two whole different worlds and in our world you will get killed or hurt very bad when you go in over your head on something your not ready to handle. You might wanna ask this question on a bike forum, seems they may have more intellagent opinions from these morons telling you to get a 1000 or bigger....just F'N stupid. those people who have bought big bikes and survived are the few and the far between, Do not play the odds, you could end up being fed through a straw and acting like a 1 year child for the rest of your life or just plain dead.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

I just have to throw my 2 cents in here. I'm a 6 foot 3 230lb guy and I rode a 600's for 3 years before moving up to anything larger. A 600 and skill will wax most guys on 1k's anywhere but a straight line. Also a 600 is putting down 105-110 HP stock thats plenty to make you a red grease mark on the road.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the right formula

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Like I said, this isnt a game or who has the bigger *****/breast. Buy a Slower bike at 1st cause driving a car and riding a bike or two whole different worlds and in our world you will get killed or hurt very bad when you go in over your head on something your not ready to handle. You might wanna ask this question on a bike forum, seems they may have more intellagent opinions from these morons telling you to get a 1000 or bigger....just F'N stupid. those people who have bought big bikes and survived are the few and the far between, Do not play the odds, you could end up being fed through a straw and acting like a 1 year child for the rest of your life or just plain dead.
Originally Posted by SSuzuki
I just have to throw my 2 cents in here. I'm a 6 foot 3 230lb guy and I rode a 600's for 3 years before moving up to anything larger. A 600 and skill will wax most guys on 1k's anywhere but a straight line. Also a 600 is putting down 105-110 HP stock thats plenty to make you a red grease mark on the road.

take advice from people that actually ride and you'll be bettter off. If you get a 250, or even a 600 - ride it for a year or so and then sell it and get something else...you may be out a little extra money, but it could also spare your life.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

^^^SQUID definition^^^
Just in case you didnt know what SQUID meant.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

JUST SAY NO
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

since your already thinking of a 1000 go with a 1000. like i said, i see girls rollin around in R1..
I see girls driving Z28s. Guess that means you should've gotten someting with a little more power.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I tend to look at peoples chicken stripes instead of the size of their bike to see who has the bigger *****/rack 3" of still new side tire on a bike with several thousand miles proves to me that person isnt a real rider more likely a poser

Last edited by Ravenous T\A; 06-25-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Launching!

i rode my cbr600 for 7 months before i even thought about buying a 1000...and recently i bought an fz1 and i still haven't full throttled it through the gears...bc i respect the power it has and I know my limits...i'm 6"2 and I fit on a 600 just fine, buy a 1000 and 75% chance you'll be a squid...buy a decent 600 and no one will be like "oh **** man you bought a 600...whatta ***" (except txz28ls1...who is retarded)
Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Launching!

I tend to look at peoples chicken stripes instead of the size of their bike to see who has the bigger *****/rack 3" of still new side tire on a bike with several thousand miles proves to me that person isnt a real rider more likely a poser
my gsxr 1000 had no chicken stripe and some guys couldn.t believe how I could get it over that far without falling off I would just tell them to keep practicing. I have lived in mountain areas most of my riding life and love the canyons. There is one road out here in virginia beach that has enough curves on it and almost every week I see them bring in 3 or 4 bikes that were put down out there brand new bikes,new riders..plus I put over 4000 miles on it in one year. bought it in dec 05 got hit by a 17 year old girl on a cell phone jan 07 totaled me and my7 bike now I have the ss.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by knappbunch
my gsxr 1000 had no chicken stripe and some guys couldn.t believe how I could get it over that far without falling off I would just tell them to keep practicing. I have lived in mountain areas most of my riding life and love the canyons. There is one road out here in virginia beach that has enough curves on it and almost every week I see them bring in 3 or 4 bikes that were put down out there brand new bikes,new riders..plus I put over 4000 miles on it in one year. bought it in dec 05 got hit by a 17 year old girl on a cell phone jan 07 totaled me and my7 bike now I have the ss.
We have one road in my area with about 10 or so 30mph corners with no blind corners at all that I like to tear up every other weekend or so, wish I could find some more but this area is kinda flat and alot of the back country roads are not well maintaned, Im happy I found this one This is my 3rd bike, my last 01 GSXR 750 I got nailed on my 1st day I bought it by some cager who really liked my lane from behind, woke up in the catscan machine....good times then 6 months later on that same bike I got cut off and went over the hood of a pizza hut driver making a wide right, so much fun. Miss my 1st bike, I had a 99 Ducati 750 Monster, that was pure pimp, sportbikers and hardley guys would always come look at and comment on it, miss that bike just dont miss the service intervals
Old 06-25-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call it what u want, but i would say atleast opt for a 1000!! the OP stated that he was looking into a 600 or a 1000. so that tells me he might have some experience bike riding, which is why i said go with a 1000. i hear too many stories of guys who bought a 600 got comfortable and quickly ditched it to go up to a 1000.

****, i dont even care much for bikes
Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

thank you for your opinion squid, he said he rode a bike twice

Ive not ridden motorcycles a whole lot, maybe 2 times.
his 1st post
Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

call it what u want, but i would say atleast opt for a 1000!! the OP stated that he was looking into a 600 or a 1000. so that tells me he might have some experience bike riding, which is why i said go with a 1000. i hear too many stories of guys who bought a 600 got comfortable and quickly ditched it to go up to a 1000.

****, i dont even care much for bikes
then dont give advice that may possibly kill him
Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

then dont give advice that may possibly kill him
THANK YOU!!
I had an '06 GSXR-1000 for a year, and the power was way more than I ever needed or used. I had ridden for 5 years before that as well on dirt bikes and an older Ninja before I got the GSXR. I'm back in the market for a new(ish) 600. I just wish there were more twisty roads closer to where I am
Old 06-25-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

I am diggin the new R6's.

Quick Reply: which bike to get?