which bike to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys after doing some of my own research and listening to what you all have said i am currently looking for a newer (06-08) Ninja ZX1000, i love the looks of the bike in green. I am pretty close to buying an 07 but its in black with the flames i dont like the flames so i might wait till i find a green one...to chip in my 2 cents most of wrecks arent caused by the motorcyclist having to much power and making a mistake but rather cars that dont see them. Im sure i wont have a problem being careful and not punching it for a long time, also i will be taking a riding course

Last edited by dshag; 06-29-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also alot of accidents are caused by novice riders going out and getting a litre bike for their first bike. I recomend a 08 Honda CBR 600 RR. Won best of the 600 class 2 years running. I previously owned a F4-I and never got bored with it. I have also ridden my fair share of Litre bikes, and honestly they scare the **** out of me. I mean when you drop down a couple of gears and nail it the front wheel says bye-bye to the pavement. just my .02
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28
Also alot of accidents are caused by novice riders going out and getting a litre bike for their first bike. I recomend a 08 Honda CBR 600 RR. Won best of the 600 class 2 years running. I previously owned a F4-I and never got bored with it. I have also ridden my fair share of Litre bikes, and honestly they scare the **** out of me. I mean when you drop down a couple of gears and nail it the front wheel says bye-bye to the pavement. just my .02
+1. I'm a bit biased to the GSXR's though. I prefer the way the seat feels compared to the CBR's too
Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

i believe alot of novice riders have 1 vehicle accidents, i think i mentioned in an earlier post that i am going to learn to ride it at a track with an instructor that i work with, thanks for the input but im really leaning towards a new 08 zx10. work at a hospital im sure ill get taken care of lol
Old 06-30-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dshag
Thanks for all the input guys after doing some of my own research and listening to what you all have said i am currently looking for a newer (06-08) Ninja ZX1000, i love the looks of the bike in green. I am pretty close to buying an 07 but its in black with the flames i dont like the flames so i might wait till i find a green one...to chip in my 2 cents most of wrecks arent caused by the motorcyclist having to much power and making a mistake but rather cars that dont see them. Im sure i wont have a problem being careful and not punching it for a long time, also i will be taking a riding course
i believe alot of novice riders have 1 vehicle accidents, i think i mentioned in an earlier post that i am going to learn to ride it at a track with an instructor that i work with, thanks for the input but im really leaning towards a new 08 zx10. work at a hospital im sure ill get taken care of lol

these 2 statements show how you are probably one of the ones that SHOULDNT be out riding. You have absolutely no fkn clue.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't doubt that anyone can learn to ride on a 1000, hayabusa, etc.

The point I'm trying to make is you're not automatically cool because you pull up on a liter bike. You will be the person that's getting laughed at when you can't even manage your 1000cc bike in a parking lot.

I think it's great that you're taking a course...I learned a lot taking the course even after being on a streetbike for a few years. But don't think they're going to teach you everything. Go look on craigslist at all the 600cc bikes for sale....and how many have tore up fairings and the bike has less than 2000 miles. If it's your first bike, you're likely going to drop it.

Not trying to come off as some jerk that knows everything about bikes....you came on here asking for advice for your first bike, you're getting good advice from experienced riders, and you're ignoring it.

The people that I know that have been riding for years started off on something small, learned to ride, and then upgraded as the years went by. Most guys that ride on the weekends....and I mean REALLY ride....don't have liter bikes. They have modded 600's. My favorite bike was a Buell XB9 that I just got rid of last year. It was greatly underpowered, but a blast to ride.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what track you going to learn to ride, also is the dude open to teach others
Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Well I said my peace so my conscious is clear, remember it only takes one accident to either end or completly change the rest of your life......im done
Old 06-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28
alot of accidents are caused by people not paying attention whether it is the rider or the others on the road.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

reject pm me if you want to learn i cant remember the name of the track but its by ft worth. He teaches classes for money so im sure he will teach anybody and i can probably get a deal for some ppl im supposed to go riding with him later this week and try out his modded cbr 1000...i dont really care what other people think so if they laugh at me in a parking lot they laugh at me, could care less. im not doing it to be cool i like the bike The couple times i rode a bike they were modded 600's with sprocket changes and a stock gsxr 1k, i liked the bikes. Just because you have something that can go really fast doesnt mean you have too. Theres tons of people with fast cars on here that only run at a track to race. Obsessesd i made my first statement which i think everybody will agree with that most 2 vehicle accidents involving bikes are caused by cars, and obviously single vehicle accidents are the riders, but i guess im too f'n stupid lol...all the people i see at work have been either hit by a car or forced to lay it down because a car made an error, im sure thats not all cases but most

Formula and the others thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it and will definately think about it before i buy a liter bike. Not to come off as a a-hole or anything but ive always been really responsible throughout my life and careful for the most part. At 22 i graduated nursing school and started working as a nurse in a critical care unit im saying this to let you know i am a fairly responsible person. i think a lot depends on the type of person you are to which bike you buy and some people need to start out on a 600 or smaller because they will do dumb ****. Not trying to sound cocky but i will be responsible with a liter bike and careful hopefully after a while i can meet some of yall in person on a ls1 tech meet or something. Thanks for the advice and ill keep yall updated

Last edited by dshag; 06-30-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That track is probably Cresson Motorsports Ranch. I have been there multiple times. I have a 1000 and wish I had a 600 for track purposes. If you are serious about dragging a knee get a 600. I made the mistake of thinking I needed a 1000 for this job. Don't get me wrong. It still gets the job done. Get any bike and I will go ride with ya. Most of the experienced guys I see on the track can ride circles around 1000's all day long on a 600. ALL DAY.

However, I just liked the way the 1000's looked over the 600's 3 years ago. A common misconception is that a 1000 or 1300 will kill you over a 600....WRONG. A 600 is just as dangerous. Most of the guys I ride with are on 599-636cc's and they are faster than about 95% of the cages on the street by a long shot. Just remember this figure: About 99% of first year riders will have some sort of accident. I am part of that figure. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...590&highlight= I had nearly been riding a year to the date too! Damn the man!

Basically if you get the 1000, more power to you (literally). Just keep your focus on a ny bike and you should be ok. The thing you have to worry about most is your surroundings. It is ok to be a squid.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 06-30-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm actually the only one that's telling you that I don't doubt you can learn to ride on the bigger bike....my experience has shown me that the smaller bikes are more fun. In fact, the next bike I want to get is a DRZ400SM. FAR from being a fast bike, but close ergs and power to my Buell. Over everything, the handling on the bike is incredible.

I feel like you're going to miss some of the experience getting a big bike out of the box. I didn't use my liter bike anywhere near it's true potential on the street. Now I've learned to experience wringing out all the smaller bikes have....and enjoy that more. And, it's much cheaper going that approach.

Regardless, good luck with your bike shopping....

Keep the shiny side up, rubber side down.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

yup 600s are lighter and turn better thats what i like about the new zx10 it turns really good for a liter bike, makes power higher up in the rpms
Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yup 600s are lighter and turn better thats what i like about the new zx10 it turns really good for a liter bike, makes power higher up in the rpms
And you know this how ???? the zx10 has a lot of head shake, if it was me I would get a really good dampner on the bike if this was your choice. I agree anyone can learn on a liter, but most dont. Some people have to learn the hard way. I wish you the best of luck in your decision. The track is MSR, cresson tx, if you friend is a instructor, I have a hard time believing he would tell you to get a 1K. To each his own, hope you are as responsible as you say you are, the confidence inspiring 1K will get you in trouble pretty quick, not to say a 600 wont. There is a lot of bad advise in this thread.

If you want a true opinion on what to get go to motohouston.com.

J
Old 06-30-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Obsessesd i made my first statement which i think everybody will agree with that most 2 vehicle accidents involving bikes are caused by cars, and obviously single vehicle accidents are the riders, but i guess im too f'n stupid lol...all the people i see at work have been either hit by a car or forced to lay it down because a car made an error, im sure thats not all cases but most

REALLY, wow and you came up with this exactly how ??? this statement is factual ??? Actually more often than not it is rider error that gets a bike in a wreck, going to fast or not paying attention. Sure the old lady pulled out in front of you, but you were doing 80+, had you been going 40 that accident wouldn't have happend.

Here is a list of riders in houston that has gone down this year alone, I am sure that most of these accidents could have been avoided.

1) JRxGRUBZx
2) USMC-SPARTAN
3) aboo007
4) Azylum-looped it at a stop light cuz i was drunk as ****. kept it a little too real apparently.
5) Psych0ninja
6) costas
7) tango
8) guy on CBR after galveston ride
9) omega (well dropped it in downtown) bike is fine though
10) Jason wrecked yesterday
11) travis passed away last week
12) Patrick From tomball suzuki passed away last month
13) s-dm
14) SillyWabbit
15) Frank the Tank
16) Ulric (yup you went down)
17) drewbies600
18) Mr. Unassailable - Twice on "Spirited" Sunday Mornings and alot in the parking lot.
19) fallingup1000
20) Jason Graff
21) Cornbread
22) Japawhat02
23) ZiXxer Six (bike less then 1 week old)
24) mascencio2k7 (dead, 1st bike, 8 mos riding, LEO)
25) mrceotri (new rider, sandwiched between 2 cars)
26) Pyrogenic
27) Knee_dragger (twice) one of them a car stopped in front of me
28) Guy wth 954 (hit buy a Harley, I Sh*t you not)
29) Bill from Brazos cycle
30) Rob78
31) BrokebackCowboy
32) Chris514Scott
33) Mon 3/3 Maverick (another forum, rearended coming to intersection he's fine)
34) lynkxda1 cut a corner too sharp while being tailgated
35) aliceinchains02(low speed-no damage-due to cold tires/ignorance)
36) 600rr on taft street
37) 1000RR on forest ride yesterday (qwezy knows him)
38) frogga01
39) Jon (caught between two trucks)
40) Falkryte left turn cage hit and run
41) twotripz: somewhere on 1498, i think - very highspeed - i should be dead, in pain but walking 3/16
42) NormGSXR1000
43) Road King on 45s. Passenger killed.
44) makersmark hit last week by lady in cage, bike messed up pretty bad
45) coojo, blown off the road on a Ninja 250
46) davis , car backed out into HIS right of way, T-bone.
47)Troy Borge late night, unfamiliar road. DEAD. 2 bikes down
48) zampano
49) Prodigy
50) Kingralphthe3rd
51) Dustin, 18, t-boned Jeep + 2 in cage 3 dead
52) sixshooter1125's noob, 1st turn on 149 fail
53) yellowgixxer1000, favorite turn on 3090
54) Polo1000RR + passenger, gravel in turn
55) Adam(R6 Raven) Hit from behind
56) Bignmz04
57) R6QueenOFkings - High sided on R6
58) TheMagicMan's bike, by family friend
59) sixshooter1125 gravel on 3090
60) Pyrogenic gravel on 3090
61) jumpinfly laid down cus truck tire w rim in road, at nite. 2nd on R6 4/15/08
62) dtlam_88
63) issanni (yep I did it again, on Saturday 4/12)
64) codyrules .. back in March/End of Feb
65) jloleo03- my own damn fault on 362...
66) unicorn, locked up front brake at red light
67) mattj1094 (cause idiot in flat bead chevy 3500 hit and run)
68) guy from stubbs
69) cruiser lastnight (rip)
70) guy on memorial (rip)
71) XxXJ0HNNYXxX , stunting, stoppie gone bad, 2 broken arms
72) H.S. COACH Coach Garza from Alvin High in ICU in Galveston
73) ag03 too fast into a corner
74)speedjunkie (before the I bought my Ninja I wiped my gixxer going into a corner instead went into a ditch!!) learning!
75) Tricki
76) kamakazefzr (cage pulled out and construction barrel in my lane, avoid construction. separated collar, broke ribs, and collapsed lung. luck to be here)
77) nogoodmike, rearended at a light, broken back
78) skmart2, laid bike down to avoid car
79) Horalia
80) 8-ball (rear-ended)
81) Mala Lingua (speed, car pulling out, corner)
82) DJSuperVillain (90 degree turn, new rear tire, too much throttle)
83) Niceface
84) guy at Hwy 6 and 35. Wrecked to avoid a bunny...
85) Superman77532
86) CChang52 - welcome to 149 and the Forest
87) Ben Williams
88) Jay SWAT (car crossed into his lane at corner)
89) ESHAROK (rider cross yellow into his path, spooked, crashed)
90) Guy at 6200 block of South Loop East (hit by speeding drunk) RIP http://www.click2houston.com/news/16326160/detail.html
91) Pyrobug51-went down but finshed the ride like a champ
92) blends (600mi, locked up rear, following to close)
93) tenguin (car "cut him off" hit rear of car, locked rear brake)
94) gsxxxr (HOV lane, following too close)
95) ^^^ blue FJR on tow-truck
96) white gsxr from lastnight (rip)
97) guy that hit 18 wheeler (rip)
98)westbound 6100 block wreck (rip)
99) ninjathatcould ( car turned in ft of him)
100) ninjathatcould friend, same accident
101) Guy at my work hit by truck at night (rip)
102) female passenger got thrown off freeway 20ft to the ground (rip)
103) Beth Windham Davis, passanger, mother of 5, drunk cross bike path, no gear (RIP)
104) Javier (sunshyns friend) drunk hit him, no gear
105) DJSuperVillain
106) gsxr on crabb river (6-8-08)
107) gsxr that ran into him on crabb (6-8-08)
108) Blue Ninja 250, rider 200 miles experience, ran straight off a corner
109) Ninja Nana, 2008 ninja 250, lost balance at red light.
110) Hooligan (3090 finally got a piece of me)
111) the sphinx locked ft brake
112) guy going 110+ on 610/45 (name: TAVY) friends w/ USMC Spartan
113) guy in beaumont hit the back of a car
114) Sgt. Jeff Wyers , RIP, car pulled out in ft of them
115) ^ his wife
116) sunshyn
117) Britneys Roomate, highside
118) av8_r22, too hot into a corner
119) IraqVet101, rear ended at light
120) rider that went down on the spirited forest ride, something about cops too, rider was left behind
121) Freak-Show, clipped lady that ran a red light.
122) DJ Remy~attacked by a rabid car changing lanes/ friday/college station
123) Fern_ZX6E Went down doing a U-Turn at 7MPH. Tires were bad and loose gravel was the probable cause.
124) Sig239 Also hit gravel doing a u-turn... what a coincidence?

Link http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...t=46946&page=9
Old 06-30-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

perspective much?

eye opener
Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good post jetg. Actually pretty disturbing seeing that list.

See how experience relates to accidents? It will be YEARS and not hours before you're comfortable on a bike. Been riding on the street 14 years and I still get nervous in traffic.

I'm in the middle of teaching my fiance to ride. I'm starting her off on a dirt bike. She learned how to ride in a few hours too. It's learning what to do in different situations. Look how many people got spooked in the above list and simply did something wrong....grabbed too much throttle, locked up the brake, etc.

You grab too much throttle on the 1000 things will be a lot worse.

Again, perfect post!!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

wow most of the listings above are 1)dumb asses that were drinking or doing wheelies, 2) cars fault, 3)road conditions (loose gravel)...and whats the differences with causes of car wrecks, not really any why dont you look up the info heres some statistics
http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html
like i said 1 vehicle wrecks are driver error usually and 2 vehicle wrecks are usually an automobiles fault

some of them probably could have been avoided with more experience but i highly doubt if you compared 600 accidents to 1000 accidents there will be a big difference, a bad driver is a bad driver regardless of what they are behind...

heres a couple more sites with statictics
http://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/...et-July-07.pdf
http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/i...ce/motorcycle/

Last edited by dshag; 06-30-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow most of the listings above are 1)dumb asses that were drinking or doing wheelies, 2) cars fault, 3)road conditions (loose gravel)...and whats the differences with causes or car wrecks, not really any why dont you look up the info heres some statistics
http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html
like i said 1 vehicle wrecks are driver error usually and 2 vehicle wrecks are usually an automobiles fault

some of them probably could have been avoided with more experience but i highly doubt if you compared 600 accidents to 1000 accidents there will be a big difference

Okay so keep saying that to yourself. Statistics are against you, I would bet you in the age group of more than likely to DIE on a bike.

Accidents are avoidable, which most above were. You right 1 vehicle wreck it is the riders fault, that is true. @ vehicle wreck your wrong on. It is not usually the automobiles fault, more often than not, the rider was going to fast for conditions, was a new rider and had to much confidence ect. Come back and tell me more since you are so versed on all this bike stuff. Please educate yourself on what can and will happen in a bike wreck. I know all about accidents, I had one of my best friend DIE in a bike accident Oct. 13th 2007, will never forget having to come back and see what i saw. Sure accidents happen, but most if not all are avoidable. You have to be smart and that much more defensive on a bike than a care. A bike is death trap on houston streets, people dont know how to drive, and crap all over the roads, that will get you killed. I am not saying all accidents are avoidable, but from my experience of being around motorcycles MOST are avoidable.

J
Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

dshag...Your cockiness in this post doesn't really support how responsible you claim to be. Sounds like you've done way more reading than riding.

Quick Reply: which bike to get?