Emissions: which is worse gas or diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Emissions: which is worse gas or diesel??

I was thinking about this topic today after seeing a diesel truck belt out a crap load of black smoke...so i decided i would post up in here and see what everyone else thought about the topic.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to define worse. Diesel smoke "looks" worse than CO2 when it comes out the exhaust. Neither is as damaging to the atmosphere as methane which is completely invisible. If you really want an answer, do the research yourself and make your own decision. You can twist the numbers to look any way you like them.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

i did do my research...i just wanted to see what this board thought about the topic...

"WASHINGTON - Laws that favor the use of diesel, rather than gasoline, engines in cars may actually encourage global warming, according to a new study. Although diesel cars obtain 25 to 35 percent better mileage and emit less carbon dioxide than similar gasoline cars, they can emit 25 to 400 times more mass of particulate black carbon and associated organic matter ("soot") per kilometer [mile]. The warming due to soot may more than offset the cooling due to reduced carbon dioxide emissions over several decades, according to Mark Z. Jacobson, Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Stanford University."
Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28
i did do my research...i just wanted to see what this board thought about the topic...

"WASHINGTON - Laws that favor the use of diesel, rather than gasoline, engines in cars may actually encourage global warming, according to a new study. Although diesel cars obtain 25 to 35 percent better mileage and emit less carbon dioxide than similar gasoline cars, they can emit 25 to 400 times more mass of particulate black carbon and associated organic matter ("soot") per kilometer [mile]. The warming due to soot may more than offset the cooling due to reduced carbon dioxide emissions over several decades, according to Mark Z. Jacobson, Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Stanford University."
That is only one study and the key word in the study is "can". It's a more complex issue than can be summed up in one paragraph from one engineer.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6
You have to define worse. Diesel smoke "looks" worse than CO2 when it comes out the exhaust. Neither is as damaging to the atmosphere as methane which is completely invisible. If you really want an answer, do the research yourself and make your own decision. You can twist the numbers to look any way you like them.
Exactly my thoughts.

Two exact researches can look at the exact same data and some up with two completely different theories.

The gas/diesel debate has been going on since the two were on the market at the same time.

Comes down to personal preference, not so much on the environmental aspect. I'd rather have a gas engine than put up with that horrible clatter of a diesel.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

same here...plus i hate the way the exhaust sounds...i understand that no matter what they research they will always come up with a different answer...variable are always changing. I agree it does come down to user preference..i do know im glad im not paying 4.75 a gallon!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28
I was thinking about this topic today after seeing a diesel truck belt out a crap load of black smoke...so i decided i would post up in here and see what everyone else thought about the topic.
What kind of diesel truck?? Black smoke is just excess fuel, usually from the turbo not being spooled (the bottom side of each gear). I know my can belch some clouds!!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

late 90's cummins...it had some stacks in the bed...it put out a big *** cloud of smoke
Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well we dont even bother testing diesels for emissions (for state inspections) soo im guessing diesels are alot worse. rumor has it the new 08' diesels are going to be tested for emissions now though soo im sure alot of changes are going in how they will perform. they now have a filter in the exhaust system that catches all the "soot"
Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Launching!

it depends on the diesel that you're talking about really. the trucks that belch all of the black smoke are the ones that are modded. you'll see a stock one put out a LITTLE smoke, but it's nothing compared to the ones with big exhaust and tunes on them. also, just for comparison i talked to a guy the other day whose wife drives a diesel jetta, and he said she gets close to 50 mpg, and i'm sure it doesn't soot up the air like that dodge did
Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ true...diesel cars seem to be on the up...i wouldnt mind having one...i stilil cant fathom paying 4.75/gallon though....im waiting to see if gasoline is going to go down anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Emissions: which is worse gas or diesel??