I'm back online - Ike sucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008 | 10:53 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Arrow I'm back online - Ike sucks

Lost power on Friday due to the hurricane. We still do not have power at home, but our office opened up today so here I am.

Only had some tree and fence damage at home, probably some shingle damage on the roof since we had a leak in the dining room. Worst part of the hurricane passed right over my neighborhood, it looks like a war zone out there. Bunch of snapped oak and pine trees, power lines down, etc...

Two of my car storage units got 3-4 inches of water in them, cars just got the wheels wet luckily. All of the boxes on the ground were screwed, I spent a day opening each one up and drying off the stuff inside. Had my longbed truck stuffed full of cardboard boxes that day, found a dumpster luckily.

All in all, we were fortunate. Weather temps dropped to mid-60s overnight, so no A/C isn't a big deal. Mid-80s during the day aren't too bad either. We never lost water or natural gas, so we could cook and take hot showers. Cars left on the driveway survived no problem and without a scratch.

I would have taken some video, but it all happened between 2am and 7am, so no light to see with. Got some nice photos of the aftermath that I'll post later on.

So far, the community has been really great. Texas people are optimistic for the most part, everyone is in good spirits and being helpful to others. We help our neighbors and get **** done around here. Unlike a neighboring state who sat around and bitched about George Bush while waiting for the FEMA trailers to arrive. People here were cleaning up their yards the morning after the hurricane passed. No riots or mass hysteria. Thousands of volunteers daily. We've had a few cases of reported looting, but nothing even close to what New Orleans went through. I hear it is only 100 arrests so far.

Just an update from Houston!

Tony
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:08 AM
9 Second Club

good to hear you made it through ok!

we had lots of roof damage, windows, trees and fences down here, but luckly we made it through without any damage at our house.
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:12 AM
Launching!

Hey Tony,
Glad to here everything good there!! We're about the same here in pasadena fence down,trees down but house is good and cars OK !!!! (still no power) Not complaining
feeling very blessed after driving around and seeing all the destruction
I'm only able to be online cause I to am back at work.
MARK
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:18 AM
8 Sec Tuner

I spent all of yesterday using chainsaws and hauling logs. I pressure washed 6 inches of mud from my garage and driveway. My house is in pretty good shape. Clear Lake Shores looks like a war zone! Picture 65ft yacht's sitting in peoples front yards. 2 40ft sail boats with 12 foot keel's sitting in the roads. That means the water was deeper than 20ft in some sections of Clear Lake Shores.There are Million dollar brand new fishing boats laying on their side sunk!

Kemah and Seabrook are really messed up. From Galveston bay to hwy 146 everything had a lot of water in it. My side of town sucks... But we do have power.

G-Force still has no power....
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

glad to hear you make it out OK Tony. I had 2 small trees blown over about 40 deg and my power went out untill 11am sat..... I had it bad huh.

how did the spool base do?
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah man, just glad all you guys are alright. is there still any parts that still dont have any power at all?
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Glad to hear everyone made it through the storm ok. Storm was worse than I thought it was going to be.
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

I like your comment about getting stuff done. Definately true. Texas got outside and started cleaning up and helping neighbors and not waiting around crying to the gov't for help.

Glad yall made it out safe. Our house suffered no damage as well as our cars. We had debris in our yard which I cleaned up on Sunday. Got power back Sunday night and that was that.
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
yeah man, just glad all you guys are alright. is there still any parts that still dont have any power at all?
Last I heard, 60% of the Houston area residents are still w/o power. 1.6 million or something like that. Some areas will still be over a week before they get power.
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:53 AM
Teching In

oh just wait... there will be some that bitch and moan...

but we're nothing like the "chocolate city"
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Tony, good to hear you survived. I managed to get out of town just in the nick of time!
See ya Monday.
Ezra
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

We didn't have much damage at our house, we were lucky because one of the taller trees in the front dropped huge branch (about 8" in diameter) and it landed just a few feet from my game room. I would have been PISSED if my TV's, gaming consoles, and pc's in the game room would have been smashed or rained on.

Just like in your area, everyone around us was cleaning up and helping others after the weather cleared up some on Saturday.

I wired my generator into the house so everything in the house still works (except A/C) and we never lost gas or water. Aside from filling the generator with gas everything has been working in my house this week.

Being the IT manager for multiple product lines of our company I had to start my work week at 8:30am Monday morning
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

You should see my place. It looks like a bomb went off. Luckily, the house is okay. The boat didn't seem to like the massive tree limb that fell on it. Neither did the trellis or the fence.

Still no power.

Fema - Please send me some money so I can get some lap dances and "get high off that Hennessy".
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Some pics I snapped at my storage unit:

You can see how high the water was, look at the wood uprights. Car didn't get water inside it, thanks to high ground clearance old-school musclcar stance! This is the Chevelle sleeping.

Attached Thumbnails I'm back online - Ike sucks-dsc02385.jpg   I'm back online - Ike sucks-dsc02387.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:31 PM
Launching!

ya Ike was a pain in my A$$, my house was fine but its the pain of the travel to evacuate and such, we got power back on monday,

what pisses me off though is I put some miles on my baby bird because i was afraid to leave her behind....

Just curious what part of houston are you in?

League city here
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Northeast Houston for me, off of Beltway 8
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ha, nice electrical cord in the water there.

I'm glad everything is good for the most part...

-Rick
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spring, Tx. chiming in. No power at the house, Work in humble, and we are still on generator power at Atascocita and Wilson.
Old 09-18-2008 | 12:34 PM
Launching!

oh ya i forgot, im unemployed now... kemah boardwalk got wasted... woot vacation!!

I'm 17 so ya its a part time job
Old 09-18-2008 | 01:21 PM
Teching In

Glad to see every one is ok. Tony that sucks u got water on the inside, just be glad you have a home to go back to. My mom lost her house and everything. she lives in sanleon on the water. Luckly my house in seabrook was ok, just a few trees down. Still dont have any power. im glad tech is up to keep my occupied now lol

Quick Reply: I'm back online - Ike sucks