Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

anyone using hobart 210 welder?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red face anyone using hobart 210 welder?

anyone have any experience with this welder? any tips on welding chromolly with it?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Never used it but I do have a Handler 125
Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got the 210. I havent used it yet, but there's no complaints about it online. How has your 125 held up?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Hobart welder and i liked it for my first Mig welder, but then i switched to a Miller welder, and i liked that much better! (feel, wire speed & amp control)
Don't get me wrong i still have the Hobart and it welds like a champ!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you guys gotta learn to stick weld. Get a good stick welder that can take a spool gun, then you can have the best of both worlds. In all honisty the 210 is enough for most people but a stick is a great asset.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on having an oxygen acetylen, arc, tig, and I now have the mig. Just the start of a lifelong art, I hope. I have experience with all but the TIG. What is so special with the TIG? Is it the fact that you have to use 3 limbs to control the weld? I hope so, because that's right up my allly
Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Launching!

The HH210 is a good machine. Since Miller bought them, they pretty much follow the Miller line with and cut a few corners with the quality of components (plastic vs. metal and so on)... In my opinion, nothing you'll ever notice for a occasional use home shop machine. My MIG machine is a MM210 and I've run a few beads with a HH210. Very similar arc, you'll be happy with it.

LOL! I don't know what it is with the TIG/Stick only folks. I'm good at all 3 and have all 3 machines, but if it's not extremely thick/thin and it's steel... I'll turn the ****, slap the ground strap on and pull the trigger EVERY time. LOL!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WMSuperSport
I have experience with all but the TIG. What is so special with the TIG?
I have the Hobart Tigmate. I tell ya i started to learn on Mild steel and that was soooo damn hard for me, so i tryed learning on aluminum and i sware thats eayser to Tig weld compared to mild steel, and SS flows like butter!
Tig weld (if done correctly) is the most strongest and the cleanest welds. Clean from looks and in general.
You may want to do alot of research before buying one.

Goodluck!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hobart is advertised as a better value. Miller owns them. My hobart says miller on the the gun. Hobart is marketed towards the do it your selfer and the Miller is marketed towards the professional. I imagine all circuit boards and major electronics are the same between the two. In my opinion, quality wise they are equal. Decide whether you want a white wrapper or a blue wrapper. LoL.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long have you had the Tigmate?
Are you saying the MIG did better than TIG for steel, or that TIG welding aluminum was easier than TIG welding steel?
Which TIG would you buy if you got another one?

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
I have the Hobart Tigmate. I tell ya i started to learn on Mild steel and that was soooo damn hard for me, so i tryed learning on aluminum and i sware thats eayser to Tig weld compared to mild steel, and SS flows like butter!
Tig weld (if done correctly) is the most strongest and the cleanest welds. Clean from looks and in general.
You may want to do alot of research before buying one.

Goodluck!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

How long have you had the Tigmate?
Are you saying the MIG did better than TIG for steel, or that TIG welding aluminum was easier than TIG welding steel?
Which TIG would you buy if you got another one?

I have had the Tigmate for a little more than a year now.
Comparing Mig and Tig is difficult because they are ment for different purposes.
What are you looking to do?
If i were going to buy another Tig welder i would but it from Miller.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

An example of a great Tig welds is - search Wilson Sheet Metal Intake Manifold. Much nice beed flow.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Go to MillerWelders.com (something like that) and do some research, they have everything you need to know there. Thats how i learned the differences.
Also the Tigmate is nice for a shop, you can weld a whole car up with that one welder, but it will not keep up with the demand of something commercial.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
An example of a great Tig welds is - search Wilson Sheet Metal Intake Manifold. Much nice beed flow.
I have a Beck on my car. Very nice welds. Ill check out the wilson.

I'm just looking to modify, repair and fabricate car stuff in my garage. I think I'd still get a Tigmate if I found a good deal on one like my mig.

thanks for the help

Last edited by WMSuperSport; 12-10-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a Beck on my car. Very nice welds. Ill check out the wilson.

I'm just looking to modify, repair and fabricate car stuff in my garage. I think I'd still get a Tigmate if I found a good deal on one like my mig.

thanks for the help
Beck has some Tig welds if i remember, but not on top because its bolted on...?
I bought my Tigmate for 1/4 of the retail cost, i have a few friends over at out local AirGas that call me when amazing deals come through.

If you do not plan on welding aluminium with a Tig welder i wouldn't bother with the Tigmate. But thats what a Tig does bets aluminium and SS.
To weld aluminium you need an AC current, miller makes some sweet Tigs. Miller Econotig is the Tigmate, same thing just different apperence. If you want a great welder that you will not be disappointed with is the Miller Diversion 165. Thats there newest piece.

Check this site out: http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/
Look at the list and it will tell you what they can do, all tig welders are DC (mild steel, SS) but not all are AC (aluminium).
Also you will hear about liquid cooled torches, you will not need that unless you are doing something major for a long period of time. Liquid torches = $
Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default re

I thought if you welded chromemoly for track usage it had to be tig welded?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone using hobart 210 welder?