Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Engine builders, any torque wrench reccomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine builders, any torque wrench reccomendations?

For putting together an lsx motor, how high (ft pounds) of a torque wrench should I need? Planning on swapping some heads and in the near future pistons and rods also. Just dont wanna spend good money on a torque wrench that wont go as high as I need. Any brand reccomendations also?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go to Sears and get there ft/lb it goes to I think 250 and a in/lb which goes to around 150.These should cover you for what you want to do except if you use ARP pulley bolt which calls for like 275 ft/lb but I just went till it clicked and then grunted a bit more.I've have a few more but it just depends if you want to buy a name or more cash out lay.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magic Man
You can go to Sears and get there ft/lb it goes to I think 250 and a in/lb which goes to around 150.These should cover you for what you want to do except if you use ARP pulley bolt which calls for like 275 ft/lb but I just went till it clicked and then grunted a bit more.I've have a few more but it just depends if you want to buy a name or more cash out lay.
Thanks, I have been looking on their web site at some, just wasnt sure about the accuracy of craftsman.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Do you guys like the click style or the dial type better?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Some guys like the dial ones for certain jobs but the click is fine.Also when done using them run them back down to lowest setting and don't toss them ito your tool box with everything else.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magic Man
Some guys like the dial ones for certain jobs but the click is fine.Also when done using them run them back down to lowest setting and don't toss them ito your tool box with everything else.
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

the digital snap-on torque wrenches do degrees as well as torque... i know the ls1 head bolts need to be torqued the first pass then degreed after that
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

i rather the click ones.if you get distracted using a dial one you can easily over tighten
Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are using stock head/main bolts, you will need a torque angle gague too. I am really not a huge fan of the craftsman torque wrenches, but I think one would be fine for doing one motor, but if you are going to do a few, get a nice click type, I have a matco that I like quite a but, and the snap-on stuff is nice too. For almost everything except the balancer bolt you just need one that will do about 10-100ft/lb since they are only accurate within 10% of the limits I believe. But most of the cover bolts are 18ft/lb, main studs are 60 and 50, head studs are 80, as are the ARP bolts I believe. Anyway, 10-100 should do pretty much everything you need. If you want to torque some of the smaller bolts (intake/valve covers) you'll need an in/lb wrench too. Hope that helps.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
If you are using stock head/main bolts, you will need a torque angle gague too. I am really not a huge fan of the craftsman torque wrenches, but I think one would be fine for doing one motor, but if you are going to do a few, get a nice click type, I have a matco that I like quite a but, and the snap-on stuff is nice too. For almost everything except the balancer bolt you just need one that will do about 10-100ft/lb since they are only accurate within 10% of the limits I believe. But most of the cover bolts are 18ft/lb, main studs are 60 and 50, head studs are 80, as are the ARP bolts I believe. Anyway, 10-100 should do pretty much everything you need. If you want to torque some of the smaller bolts (intake/valve covers) you'll need an in/lb wrench too. Hope that helps.
That helps a lot, I searched all over looking for torque specs for ARP head bolts but I couldnt find any. All the torque #'s you posted above are what I was planning on using to make my decision. Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine builders, any torque wrench reccomendations?