Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Where do you buy Automotive tools?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where do you buy Automotive tools?

I know you can get them online, but is there a big chain that sells alot of specialty automotive tools. Maybe one in Houston?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sears. Any large sears should have what you need. If not catch a Mac or Snap On truck on the road and pull him over
Old 11-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

I use Craftsman stuff myself, but I will say that Snap-On stuff sure is nice to use.

I just can't justify a $70 3/8" ratchet.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nick D'Agostino
I use Craftsman stuff myself, but I will say that Snap-On stuff sure is nice to use.

I just can't justify a $70 3/8" ratchet.
Yup, I agree.
But if you twist wrenches 50- 60 hours a week the Snap On are worth every penny.
I buy Craftsman!
Check Ebay Tools ...they have some good deals/ Auctions. You can get Kent Moore LS1/GM specialty tools there. Go to Ebay-> Tools and search for Kent Moore.
FWIW.
joel
Old 11-19-2003, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

binks good point
I noticed one guy was selling the new in box, full waruntee craftsman tools alot cheaper than store front.
was a power seller etc....
Old 11-19-2003, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by binksz06
Yup, I agree.
But if you twist wrenches 50- 60 hours a week the Snap On are worth every penny.
I buy Craftsman!
Check Ebay Tools ...they have some good deals/ Auctions. You can get Kent Moore LS1/GM specialty tools there. Go to Ebay-> Tools and search for Kent Moore.
FWIW.
joel

I do twist wrenchs 50+ hours a week and All my hand tools are craftsman. I take back broken stuff to sears yes, but why did it break? thinwall sockets on a 1/2 impact. Screw drivers used as chisels pry bars and punches. Ratchest that were beat on or used with a 6 foot of pipe on em. I take less stuff back to sears then the guys I work with trade stuff in on the snap on truck, Not to mention that every thing you try to warrenty on the snap on truck the guy gives you a raft of **** about not using impacts on this socket or not using screwdrivers to pry ect.
Now I do use the more expensive craftsman stuff the "professional" tools,
But that is only becuase they are 10x more comfortable then their standard stuff.
Every thing in my garage is damn craftsman, Lawn mower, edger snowblower,
tool box x3 tool car, bench, table saw ect ect ect, I need to call them up and see if they will sponser my garage
Old 11-20-2003, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just like to read the craftsman catalog on the crapper at work
only thing we got to read, since they took the britney spears picture books away
damn i wish i had money to buy tools, my 3 tools are getting lonely
Old 11-20-2003, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ta12sec
I do twist wrenchs 50+ hours a week and All my hand tools are craftsman. I take back broken stuff to sears yes, but why did it break? thinwall sockets on a 1/2 impact. Screw drivers used as chisels pry bars and punches. Ratchest that were beat on or used with a 6 foot of pipe on em. I take less stuff back to sears then the guys I work with trade stuff in on the snap on truck, Not to mention that every thing you try to warrenty on the snap on truck the guy gives you a raft of **** about not using impacts on this socket or not using screwdrivers to pry ect.
Now I do use the more expensive craftsman stuff the "professional" tools,
But that is only becuase they are 10x more comfortable then their standard stuff.
Every thing in my garage is damn craftsman, Lawn mower, edger snowblower,
tool box x3 tool car, bench, table saw ect ect ect, I need to call them up and see if they will sponser my garage
Wow, I never thought about it but I'm basing my thoughts on 20 year old info. Thanks for the Reply!!!
My Dad, Uncles, Cousins all make/made a living wrenching cars..... or as my Dad used to say (jokingly) " Weeuz Mu-Chanixs". Anyway, they always told me - buy Craftsman ...we buy Snap On because we can't afford to make a daily run on take backs. Times have changed. ( 20 years!!)
My Torque wrenches and a few specialty tools are Snap On everything else is Craftsman. FWIW.
joel
Old 11-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

I like the Craftsman Professional series stuff for sure, but the run of the mill Craftsman stuff is just fine.

Snap-On and Mac are more comfortable in the hand, but a painful on the wallet.

Lucky for me there is a Sears tool center just up the road.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have craftsman hand tools. I'm not a fan of there power tools though.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never exchanged a snap on tool (even when I was an avionics tech for several years). I used to wear out craftsman #2 screwdrivers every 3 weeks. The worst part was destroying a screw in a 60 year old aircraft that you can no longer replace. Snap on screwdrivers are worth every penny for my old uses (in 2+ years, they still work great and the blades are sharp).

Also, I've had Craftsman 1/2 inch ratchets fall apart while spinning the bolt into a transmission corssmember at 3am. The reversing lever hit me in the forehead (which makes you duck or sit up....ouch). Why it broke while winding in a bolt (not even tight yet) is beyond me, luckly I had a spare wrench. I buy Craftsman sockets (their torque wrench finally lost it's calibration nuts and the handle came loose after 2 years or so, making it useless), and some of their wrenches (or proto or snap on) and I keep their ratchets for use with a 6 foot cheater bar (easier than tracking down the snap on man to exchange my good ones and I have several extras). Snap on are not for everyone, but they will likely be the last tools you buy. They are worth the money, it's just alot of money.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mac tools just feel SO right.

Quick Reply: Where do you buy Automotive tools?