Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Good beginning welder

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good beginning welder

Im thinking about buying a welder so I can learn(more like relearn, its been a while) welding. I dont need anything fancy, mainly for piping and smaller jobs. Usually steel but aluminum would be nice. I just dont want to pay a **** ton for a welder that is beyond my abilities. I dont really know what amperage I need or anything. How about this one?
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tls/1581927480.html
Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Im thinking about buying a welder so I can learn(more like relearn, its been a while) welding. I dont need anything fancy, mainly for piping and smaller jobs. Usually steel but aluminum would be nice. I just dont want to pay a **** ton for a welder that is beyond my abilities. I dont really know what amperage I need or anything. How about this one?
You can buy that new, for about 329 I think....

Either way its a gasless welder, and not very powerful.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BADD SS
You can buy that new, for about 329 I think....

Either way its a gasless welder, and not very powerful.
Find a 220V Lincoln brand new for 329. You are smoking crack. OP that looks like a good machine for you if you have access to 220V. Im running a 135A on 110V and its plows through everything I throw at it around the house and on the car. I run it gasless so it runs hotter though bc it is a "smaller" machine. Gas obviously has a cooling effect.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Find a 220V Lincoln brand new for 329. You are smoking crack. OP that looks like a good machine for you if you have access to 220V. Im running a 135A on 110V and its plows through everything I throw at it around the house and on the car. I run it gasless so it runs hotter though bc it is a "smaller" machine. Gas obviously has a cooling effect.

No but maybe you are for suggesting that $400 for that is a great deal...

I saw weld pak 125, and looked no further. The weld pak 125hd is I believe the newer model, 110 v and retails for $419. weld pak 125 turns no hits on google.... They made a 175 I think, if thats the case it's an ok deal, but not for used...

And stroll the Isle sometimes, they (HD) have marked down all the older lincolns alot lately..

Why anyone brags about a 135 amp machine thats a tinker toy is beyond me. Lincolns lower models are real **** lately, some look like packaged harbor freight crap. Go blue, or go home.....Unless youre a pipeliner with an SA...
Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Go blue, or go home........

That's the truth. You can pick up a nice Miller 220 welder for around 6 or 700. Sometimes with a bottle. Spend the money, you'll be glad you did.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

No but maybe you are for suggesting that $400 for that is a great deal...

I saw weld pak 125, and looked no further. The weld pak 125hd is I believe the newer model, 110 v and retails for $419. weld pak 125 turns no hits on google.... They made a 175 I think, if thats the case it's an ok deal, but not for used...

And stroll the Isle sometimes, they (HD) have marked down all the older lincolns alot lately..

Why anyone brags about a 135 amp machine thats a tinker toy is beyond me. Lincolns lower models are real **** lately, some look like packaged harbor freight crap. Go blue, or go home.....Unless youre a pipeliner with an SA...
I agree, Miller machines have been fantastic for me. Every one I have used has welded like butter. However, before I really knew this, I bought my Lincoln wire gun, and it has done wonderfully for a 110V machine period. Say whatever the hell you want, but I have been a certified welder for years and do lots of welding at the house. If I say my 135 is a well powered 110 machine then you would be foolish to not believe me. I also dont try to weld half inch plate with it either. But internet know it alls rule these forums so have at it. I would suggest to the OP to see what the market bares for this machine and then try to talk him down some. However living in Alaska may present some purchasing restrictions that Im unaware of. This going over your head bad ss?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I just picked up an Auto Arc 130 (made by Miller Btw.) for $290 brand new with a regulator. Its got 4 voltage adjustments, and "infinite" wire speed adj.
Plus its got a kick *** warrenty with it as well! I welded some 3/16 plate with .030 flux cored wire and it welded pretty nice, It needs .035 wire for that material. The first ? you need to ask yourself is the thickness of the material you are gonna be welding. That will get you into the ball park with what kind of welder you need.
Hope this helps!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

We have the same **** yall do down, the prices are just higher due to shipping and our income levels. I really have no idea what Im looking at in terms of welders. Looks like some can use gas and others cant? Id like the option to weld aluminum as well as SS.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spare tire
I just picked up an Auto Arc 130 (made by Miller Btw.) for $290 brand new with a regulator. Its got 4 voltage adjustments, and "infinite" wire speed adj.
Plus its got a kick *** warrenty with it as well! I welded some 3/16 plate with .030 flux cored wire and it welded pretty nice, It needs .035 wire for that material. The first ? you need to ask yourself is the thickness of the material you are gonna be welding. That will get you into the ball park with what kind of welder you need.
Hope this helps!
Generally tubing of sorts, intercooler and exhaust piping so nothing more than 18 gauge really.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I agree, Miller machines have been fantastic for me. Every one I have used has welded like butter. However, before I really knew this, I bought my Lincoln wire gun, and it has done wonderfully for a 110V machine period. Say whatever the hell you want, but I have been a certified welder for years and do lots of welding at the house. If I say my 135 is a well powered 110 machine then you would be foolish to not believe me. I also dont try to weld half inch plate with it either. But internet know it alls rule these forums so have at it. I would suggest to the OP to see what the market bares for this machine and then try to talk him down some. However living in Alaska may present some purchasing restrictions that Im unaware of. This going over your head bad ss?
I had a sp 135 plus so I know the machine well. I quickly got rid of it.. Nothing but problems with it. It did wonderful work on sheetmetal, but thats it. I like ***** with welding, and I have never found a 110v mig to have a nice arc, but thats just preferance I suppose. For the OP, weldingsupply.com, weldfabulous, indiana oxy co, cyberweld all have awesome prices and ship reasonably cheaply. Not going over my head at all, not much in this section would as its what I do for a living. I have 12 years experience in welding, and own a nice little business, but it seems that every homeowner brags about a 135, or hf machine it's quite . I didnt meant to **** you off, but are you on the miller forum? If so you should understand.

Also, your work on intercooler pipe is for yourself I assume?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a sp 135 plus so I know the machine well. I quickly got rid of it.. Nothing but problems with it. It did wonderful work on sheetmetal, but thats it. I like ***** with welding, and I have never found a 110v mig to have a nice arc, but thats just preferance I suppose. For the OP, weldingsupply.com, weldfabulous, indiana oxy co, cyberweld all have awesome prices and ship reasonably cheaply. Not going over my head at all, not much in this section would as its what I do for a living. I have 12 years experience in welding, and own a nice little business, but it seems that every homeowner brags about a 135, or hf machine it's quite . I didnt meant to **** you off, but are you on the miller forum? If so you should understand.

Also, your work on intercooler pipe is for yourself I assume?
Im not your average everyday homeowner, but, however some average everyday homeowners are certified welders When I said over your head Im talking about that fact that OP in Alaska and he was looking at a local classifieds, and I know prices are higher there just like in Hawaii. Thinking you didnt factor that into your decision. Im sorry with your bad luck with Lincoln, mine has performed perfectly. Im not on any welding forum bc welding isnt my life. However when you get too deep into something you tend to be overly critical. I knew from the minute I saw the Lincoln machine there was going to be brand bashing. I stepped in on the underdog's side.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW, the smaller units (lets say a 180 amp, 220v), I go in this order: Hobart, Miller, Lincoln. When I move up to a TIG machine, miller hands down.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my 135amp 110v Lincoln. It's worked well with everything I've thrown at it. I got it on a closeout for like $300 at HomeDepot. Since I don't weld for a living I found it to be perfect for me, especially since I work on stuff like pipe/SFC/LCA brackets/household projects/farm stuff... but not in a NASA science lab. If I used it everyday then I'm sure I would have ended up with a Miller... but when I was shopping for my first welder I would have quickly decided to pay someone else to do it if all machines cost like $900. Thats ridiculous, for me. But clearly there are applications for $5000 welders.

I love how people ask for advice on an affordable starter-welder and it quickly turns into a thread where anything other than Miller is talked down upon. Many a turbo setup has been fabbed using a Hobart Handler from tractor supply...
Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

The Miller 115 wire weld has been good for me but do go with the gas setup the flux core splaters super bad.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

def go with a gas machine and stay away from flux-cored, im a huge Miller and ESAB guy, my MiG at home is a Miller Passport 180 and at work all our Hot-Wire TiG machines are ESAB, the 2 hand TiG machines are Miller Syncrowaves.

Welding machines are like a lot of other things, you get what you pay for. IMHO it really is one thing you'll want to wait and get what you want, the guys that do are always way happier in the end, i was.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

You guys gotta understand that there's a WHOLE lot more to welding than sticking two pieces of metal together....i'll stay away from that issue and say to the OP that you need to get a Miller, just spend the money and go on with life, you WILL be happier. Do NOT waste time with gasless machines. If you're going to be doing pipe work/car fabrication, look for something like a Miller Syncrowave 200 tig. It's a GREAT welder to learn on and to stick with for a long time. Don't waste time with 110v crackle boxes like your local hardware store sells.

Save your money, buy blue.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Looks like I'm following 2000 in all the tool threads today lol.

I'm going to answer your question here very easily. Don't be shocked at the price because trust me, you are getting a lot more than you paid for with this Miller. I weld SS tube all day for a living and my tungsten will never touch a torch that doesn't plug into a blue machine. This machine is aimed right at the hobbyist/enthusiast market and will do your Aluminum oil pans just as long as its not too thick

http://store.cyberweld.com/mitigwedi165.html

Only things I believe you will need after this is a bottle of argon and a dual regulator setup to back purge.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Teching In

I had a cheap 135amp 120V and then made a step up to a 180amp 220v hobart unit and love it. I think it was $465 with a regulator and I run 90/10.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

summit has the clarke 180en on sale right now. It can do flux or with gas. On sale for 275. Might be something to think about, clarke makes decent products. Aint no hobart, but for the $$ and what you'll be using it for i'm sure it'd be fine.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Bingo, that would be a great little machine for anyone to have at home....not my Dynasty 200DX i fantasize about owning, but still a kickass little machine.

Originally Posted by joker120
Looks like I'm following 2000 in all the tool threads today lol.

I'm going to answer your question here very easily. Don't be shocked at the price because trust me, you are getting a lot more than you paid for with this Miller. I weld SS tube all day for a living and my tungsten will never touch a torch that doesn't plug into a blue machine. This machine is aimed right at the hobbyist/enthusiast market and will do your Aluminum oil pans just as long as its not too thick

http://store.cyberweld.com/mitigwedi165.html

Only things I believe you will need after this is a bottle of argon and a dual regulator setup to back purge.

Quick Reply: Good beginning welder