Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

anyone tried the NEW Open End Ratcheting Wrench's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone tried the NEW Open End Ratcheting Wrench's?

i couldnt believe it when i saw the commercial the other day! i was very curious to see how they would work, it almost seems impossible, right? lol
i forgot to say it's a Craftsman product
i checked them out today and they have a similar style to a flare nut wrench, with a black spring loaded piece and the way its cut, allows u to rotate/ratchet it back without taking the wrench off the head of the bolt. it did look a lil funny, my only concern is i wonder if it could slip/strip the head off a bolt when tightening.

Anyway, im just wondering if anyone has had a chance to use them, are they any good??

p.s. the wrench sizes for metric were like 8 x 10, 13 x 14, 15 x 16, 17 x 19-mm
and price was $25 per set

Last edited by 01'SSLSX; 05-22-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're not new, and they don't work in tight spaces. If you can't swing the wrench a full 1/6 turn, you can't catch the fastener's next flat. On a regular open end, you just turn it over. These only work in one direction. I had a set years ago and gave them to a rookie.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
They're not new, and they don't work in tight spaces. If you can't swing the wrench a full 1/6 turn, you can't catch the fastener's next flat. On a regular open end, you just turn it over. These only work in one direction. I had a set years ago and gave them to a rookie.
well i know they go more than one direction, if u want to loosen u just turn it over. it even has arrows on it for the direction u want

i didnt know they werent new, what brand did u have?
because these craftsman tools just came out
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
Old 05-22-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

I'm pretty sure they were Craftsman, 10 or so years ago. The arrow confirms the point I was trying to make: If you are in a tight place and can't pull the fastener at least 1/6 turn, you won't be able to turn it anymore. The offset built into a regular wrench is designed just for that purpose, in a tight space you just turn it over to lessen or increase the angle, so that you can catch the next flat. The wrench you are talking about only works in the direction of the arrow, so if you try to turn it over in a tight space to gain angle, it will not pull the fastener.

Make sense?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure they were Craftsman, 10 or so years ago. The arrow confirms the point I was trying to make: If you are in a tight place and can't pull the fastener at least 1/6 turn, you won't be able to turn it anymore. The offset built into a regular wrench is designed just for that purpose, in a tight space you just turn it over to lessen or increase the angle, so that you can catch the next flat. The wrench you are talking about only works in the direction of the arrow, so if you try to turn it over in a tight space to gain angle, it will not pull the fastener.

Make sense?
yeah i know what u mean about the tight spaces.

i guess they updated the set, at the bottom of the sears page, it says these wrenches were added april 2010, last month

well i still might just try the metric set and see if they would be handy at all, especially since it's only $25

thanks for the info
Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Please report back.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Metrinch did this huh?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

I tried them out at sears the other day and it kept slipping off the bolt because the spring doesn't always engage. They seem like they would led to some real bloody knuckles and lots of cussing
Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't like that craftsman ones. I like the gearwrench and matco ones.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bigj2717
I tried them out at sears the other day and it kept slipping off the bolt because the spring doesn't always engage. They seem like they would led to some real bloody knuckles and lots of cussing
lol, i hear ya. it's not worth the extra aggravation is it.

i think i've changed my mind about trying the wrenchs, i just wanted to play with a new toy. but its no fun if there no good.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Choppers
I didn't like that craftsman ones. I like the gearwrench and matco ones.
yeah, i love all matco's stuff.

i dont know how i missed other companies making this wrench, i've never seen them before. i guess i never saw them in a shop because there no good.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for all the replys
Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01'SSLSX
well i know they go more than one direction, if u want to loosen u just turn it over. it even has arrows on it for the direction u want

i didnt know they werent new, what brand did u have?
because these craftsman tools just came out
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
Those have been out for quite some time.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

The wrenches he was asking about ratchet by means of their shape, they have no moving parts or springs. You are talking about different wrenches.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

The wrenches he was asking about ratchet by means of their shape, they have no moving parts or springs. You are talking about different wrenches.
Actually if you read his post and look at the wrenches they do have moving part. Heres a link to the wrenchs http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Teching In

I had found 2 old craftsman wrenches that did this, with no spring loaded grabber, but the swing was way too much, and does seem that it would cause a lot of unwanted knuckle busters. I havnt tried the new ones though.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01sscam
Those have been out for quite some time.
other people said they have used this style before, so im sure it's not a new tool.

but craftsman may have updated the set, because under Product Description on the sears page it says they were added on April 2010, last month

so i was just going by what their website said
Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Actually if you read his post and look at the wrenches they do have moving part. Heres a link to the wrenchs http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
Actually, if you read his post and followed the link that he provided, they are completely different wrenches than the ones in the link that you provided. The ones in his link are open end on both ends. While the wrenches in your link might have the problem that you described, they are not the wrenches that this thread is about.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 PM

Default Mr

Actually, if you read his post and followed the link that he provided, they are completely different wrenches than the ones in the link that you provided. The ones in his link are open end on both ends. While the wrenches in your link might have the problem that you described, they are not the wrenches that this thread is about.

Actually, if you mouse over the picture in the link he provided, it zooms into the picture. If you zoom in on the lower part of the pic, you'll see that IT DOES have a moving part in the jaw of the wrench that is spring loaded (the black part in the jaw of the wrench is spring loaded, and it does move). I have seen the commercial that the original poster saw on TV.

These wrenches ARE NEW to Sears. While I am familiar with the older ratcheting open end wrenches you are referring to (with no moving parts), these really are new wrenches, and they do indeed have a moving part. They are part of the Sears Tool Innovation Center.

For a video of a similar, but different brand of wrench, see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JzRwwzdmq4

The above video shows the action of the Starkts wrench, and it is very similar to the action of the wrench in the new Sears commercial. If you watch the video, you should be able to see the moving part he refers to in his post. I couldn't find the Sears video, but this one is close enough to illustrate how it works.

Sven (can't we all just get along?)

PS: The wrenches bigj referred to with his link are indeed different wrenches, since they have combination closed/open end ratchets, but the wrenches in bigj's link have the EXACT SAME (moving and spring loaded) RATCHET MECHANISM in the open end as the wrenches in the original 01SSL post.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Default I am such a jackass

I went to Sears today, even before I read Sven's post. I owe everyone an apology, especially bigj2717. Even though they are different wrenches, they have the same mechanism, as Sven777 stated.

I am sincerely sorry, I hate internet "experts" like me.

Craftsman did have wrenches that worked exactly the same way in the past, but without the mechanism. I don't understand the need for the thingie.

Anyway, they still have the same problem, you need a full 1/6 turn, or 60°, to engage the next flat on the bolt.

Don't waste your money.

Quick Reply: anyone tried the NEW Open End Ratcheting Wrench's?