Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Eastwood mig welders? any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastwood mig welders? any good?

has anyone tried the eastwood mig welders yet( http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html )? they sure do advertise the crap out of these things, but i don't know how good they are. any info will help. i need a reasonably priced weld for my 54 bel air project. thanks

i just found out that eastood is running sale this month in Hot Rod magazine... $319 for 135mig with welder cart and auto darkening helmet! it is very tempting but i would like to find someone that has bought one before i order one.

Last edited by sixpack_2_go; 08-16-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Looks like a re-badged Miller. If so, it'll work great. By the way, your link is broken...I just looked on their welding page.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

thanks man, i think i got the link fixed now.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

man your only 200$ away from a lincoln or a hobart. why not get one of them?
Old 08-15-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by daryn c
man your only 200$ away from a lincoln or a hobart. why not get one of them?
eastwood seems to be very confident in their qualiy. they offer a 30 day no hassel money back guarantee. and a 3 year warranty. $200 is a lot of money if they are the same quality...
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Hobart = Miller, with a different color scheme.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 AM

looks identical to my lincoln 140 same warranty too i think that its made by lincoln with eastwood stickers i got mine at lowes and it comes with everything but a good helmet and welding gas (i highly recommend getting gas if your doing body work) check it out here http://www.lowes.com/pd_256722-1703-...ductId=1072945 [/URL] compare with the eastwood and even if its not the same you need to think about the consumables of the welder tips, liners , nozzles, parts accessories if you go and get a welder from an online store than everything you get for it will have to come from the internet if you buy one locally at lowes sears tractor supply a welding store than you have those consumables readily available. oh yeah if you have trouble popping breakers all the time step up you breaker to a 30 amp that will keep you welding without having to run to the box to flip a breaker switch
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

eastwood says that replacement parts for there welders can be bought at any local welding supply store. they also say that their welder was designed and built in-house and is not made another company with their name on it. the eastwood has more heat settings than the lincoln.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

i just found out that eastood is running sale this month in Hot Rod magazine... $319 for 135mig with welder cart and auto darkening helmet! it is very tempting but i would like to find someone that has bought one before i order one.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

i have been trying to decide between the eastwood 135mig and the Hobart Handler 140. are these of equal quality?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:13 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

get what you pay for imo
Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

well, i finally just said srew all this gambling on stuff that might (or might not) be worth it! i went up to welsco(local welding supply shop) and bought a brand new Miller Autoset 140mig! it comes with a 3 year warranty and i don't have to send it off to get warranty work done(if i ever need it), i just take it back up to welsco. also, comes with the peace of mind of knowing that i got a good quality!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 PM

Attempted to order one of these special combos from Eastwood. Spoke with David, was given a hard time, multiple times on hold and in the end I was told they were "sorry" but there was an extra $24 dollar charge if I wanted this this item. I said no thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
well, i finally just said srew all this gambling on stuff that might (or might not) be worth it! i went up to welsco(local welding supply shop) and bought a brand new Miller Autoset 140mig! it comes with a 3 year warranty and i don't have to send it off to get warranty work done(if i ever need it), i just take it back up to welsco. also, comes with the peace of mind of knowing that i got a good quality!
You did get a good machine, but I wish I would have seen this sooner. I teach welding and talk to the reps all the time. The miller is nice but the auto set is runs very hot for most applications, but so are the settings Lincoln recomends. That being said I just ordered 12 new Lincoln 140's and they were offering big rebates, not just because I ordered so many either. Both are great welders for the garage. I ordered the Millers for my last night class and was very impressed with the way the performed for a small machine. Not sure what you paid but it's true with this type purchase you do get what you pay for. Owe, Miller and Hobart are owned by the same company but are honestly not the same welder in a different package. Hobarts are lower quality but still descent machines..Good luck with the project...
Old 08-29-2010, 04:08 PM
wup

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was a coupon code in the magazine or a different way to get it at this price.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Teching In

I purchased a mig from Eastwood, the worst purchase I have ever made. It is absoultely true that you get what you pay for. The cart and helmet arrived three days before the welder and guns. I put the cart together and the bolts hit the turning wheels and the wheels would not turn. The welder finally arrived and both of the clamps on the electrical cables were broke. I set the machine on the cart and the bolts on the cart hit the welder, and you can't open the door to access the wire without lifting the welder out of the cart. They sent me new power cables and the threads for the tip were onlt tapped halfway and the tip would not thread in. I returned the hole mess and was not refunded the shipping, which was about 90.00 dollars. The made in China tag pretty much says everything you need to know.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Different Opinion

Originally Posted by gkonrady
I purchased a mig from Eastwood, the worst purchase I have ever made. It is absoultely true that you get what you pay for. The cart and helmet arrived three days before the welder and guns. I put the cart together and the bolts hit the turning wheels and the wheels would not turn. The welder finally arrived and both of the clamps on the electrical cables were broke. I set the machine on the cart and the bolts on the cart hit the welder, and you can't open the door to access the wire without lifting the welder out of the cart. They sent me new power cables and the threads for the tip were onlt tapped halfway and the tip would not thread in. I returned the hole mess and was not refunded the shipping, which was about 90.00 dollars. The made in China tag pretty much says everything you need to know.
I know this is an old thread, but I bought one of these off of ebay to replace my Lincoln Handy Mig that I bought back in 2006. I've had it for about two months and have run about 2 lbs of wire through it and have gone through about 40 cf of gas. Mine arrived in perfect shape and had no manufacturing defects.

This thing welds much better than my old Handy Mig. The quality is good, I haven't hit the duty cycle yet and the variable amps versus the 4 position settings on the Lincoln are great. My Lincoln was an 86 amp machine. On the Eastwood, I have used the settings printed on the inside of the door and they are extremely accurate and I can produce very nice welds with it. I tought my Dad how to weld with it in about 20 minutes while he was visiting. He liked it so much that ordered one when he got home. It's not a Miller, but for $299 with free shipping with the gas regulator, it's a bargain. If I had it to do over again, I'd still order it.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

if i had to do it all over again i would have gotten the miller 252
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
wup

Thanks for your input guys. But I managed to score a Mig Pak 10 + Cart + Bottle of Gas + Regulator + Cover for $350 in like brand new condition.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by gkonrady
The cart and helmet arrived three days before the welder and guns.

the welder was probably temp out of stock, so we sent the in-stock items first.

I put the cart together and the bolts hit the turning wheels and the wheels would not turn.

Unfortunately if the bolts are installed incorrectly on the wheels this will happen. If you flip the bolts around it allows the wheels to turn correctly. I made this same mistake the other night when I was building a cart for my own Mig135. I will pass along that this is something they should cover with a insert or a picture with the cart.

The welder finally arrived and both of the clamps on the electrical cables were broke. I set the machine on the cart and the bolts on the cart hit the welder, and you can't open the door to access the wire without lifting the welder out of the cart. They sent me new power cables and the threads for the tip were onlt tapped halfway and the tip would not thread in. I returned the hole mess and was not refunded the shipping, which was about 90.00 dollars. The made in China tag pretty much says everything you need to know.
I'm sorry to hear you had this issue with the tips, that is quite odd. Although any mass produced product will have some small issues/errors in a batch once in a while. I'd be willing to get you another welder out to try out again if you wanted. Sounds like you might have had bad luck there. We have sold thousands of these and our rate of faulty/damaged products is quite low. But again, I'd be happy to help you out if you want to get one tested to see how these really are quality welders (especially for the price point).

Additionally, we are redesigning the carts, as I agree it can be a pain to tilt the welder to open the door to replace wire. But, if you tilt the unit up a little, the door flips open, and allows for access to the inside of the welder.

As I've mentioned on other forums, even the largest "U.S." made welding companies use Chinese internal components to build their welders. So that old blanket statement of "Chinese products are all sub-par junk" is kind of null and void in this day and age.

I'd be happy to help you try out another one if you wanted, but if not I really do apologize, and hope we can help you out on another product in the future!

-Matt/EW

Quick Reply: Eastwood mig welders? any good?