Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What do you have for Garage Flooring

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you have for Garage Flooring

I have always wanted a garage with a checkered pattern and under garage picture I saw that a few of you have them. My question is what are you using for flooring? Paint, BLT mats, Race Deck flooring..etc? How much $$$ did you spend. I have a standard 2 car garage with a 3ft extension. I have been in this (1st) house for about 2 months and have neglected the garage.

Thanks Gilbert
Old 02-02-2004, 04:46 PM
DV8
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same question a few months back in Oct, and decided to go with an Epoxy coating from UCOATIT.com.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=garage

It cost me about $250 and included everything I needed except the Hydrochloric acid ($5 Homedepot). Easy to prep and put on! I've dropped and spilled lots of stuff on it and have had no problems. Later down the road, I could always put Race-Deck if I have the extra money.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by blkbeaZ28
I have always wanted a garage with a checkered pattern and under garage picture I saw that a few of you have them. My question is what are you using for flooring? Paint, BLT mats, Race Deck flooring..etc? How much $$$ did you spend. I have a standard 2 car garage with a 3ft extension. I have been in this (1st) house for about 2 months and have neglected the garage.

Thanks Gilbert
I used VCT Tile from Home Depot. I have a 2 car garage and it cost me $300 to do it. It was very easy to install. Took about 8 hours total and that includes waiting for the adheasive to tack up. Here are a couple of pics.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
I used VCT Tile from Home Depot. I have a 2 car garage and it cost me $300 to do it. It was very easy to install. Took about 8 hours total and that includes waiting for the adheasive to tack up. Here are a couple of pics.
Is this tile easy to cut. I have never layed tile before so would the coating be better for me to go with. Most people that have gone with the epoxy say they wish they would have gone with tile.

Gilbert
Old 02-03-2004, 04:23 PM
DV8
TECH Enthusiast

for looks, the tile would have been great, but my wife got the UCOATIT stuff as a house warming gift to me. I think you could cut the tile by scoring it with a razor and breaking it straight, but I'm not sure.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

How does that VCT flooring hold up to jacking / fluids / jackstands? Is it particularly slippery? At the shop we have MotorMat / RaceDeck to take to races, but it's snap together and perforated for drainage, and dead plastic ...
But I'd love to lay floor like that.
-Rob
Old 02-05-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, how does the VCT hold up to welding/cutting sparks and such?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

i believe you can get VCT in self adhesive 12" tiles at Home Depot. I used it to tile a room in my house. Very easy to apply. The epoxy is also nice, it's very durable and easy to apply. Plus with the applied grit there is no slippage.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can you glue it right to the concrete?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by TurboLaserAWD
i believe you can get VCT in self adhesive 12" tiles at Home Depot. I used it to tile a room in my house. Very easy to apply. The epoxy is also nice, it's very durable and easy to apply. Plus with the applied grit there is no slippage.
NOPE... You apply an adhesive to the floor. It will tack up and go from a milky color to a transparent. Then all you do is lay the tile down. Very easy to do. The VCT tile holds up well. If you spill oil or what ever you just wipe it up. You can score it with a utility knife and it will break on the score mark. I did crack a tile by dropping a 3# sledge. The nice part was I just took a propane torch and warmed up the area with the cracked tile. The glue softened and I took out the cracked tile and replaced it. They only cost 52 cents each. I have used a floor jack and jack stands on it and it didn't leave any marks. The floor can be polished as well you can rent a floor polisher from Home Depot or what ever and burnish the floor once or twice a year to make it look like a show room, this will also remove any scratches you may get .. In the winter it is great as well. All the crap that gets on the floor like slush, cinders, road salt, road grime. I just hose the floor and use a squeege and it looks good again.

Quick Reply: What do you have for Garage Flooring