Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

my torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my torque wrench

is there somethign wrong with my torque wrench i got three of them 1 snap on and 1 from harbor frieight and one from autozone the problem is that its my first time really using a TW and i notice when i set the each wrench to a low value like 22lbs I cant handle even notice the click point so i keep going and i broke a bolt that way once and im doin my head install. my question is this normal when you in the lower value for the click not to be so noticible?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

any input anybody
Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

with my harbor freight one you can't feel anything at low ft/lb specs

I bought a cheap craftsman beam style one for when it's something under 50 ft/lb

of course I wouldn't use either of my torque wrenches for something like engine assembly though
Old 08-31-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

I use a harbor freight 1/2" drive torque wrench and it works very well. There was actually an article a while ago that said that hf was pretty accurate. You just have to make sure you use them within their ranges and take care of them well. When youre at the bottom end of the range it does require a very light touch. I used it at 20ftlbs last night and felt a definite click, but for your question it is very less noticeable at lower settings. If you cant feel a click at the point where your shearing bolts you might want to have it checked out because it might be broken.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

every once in a while I put a socket on my craftsman beam style torque wrench that grips the 3/8" head of the harbor freight torque wrench and turn them to see if it clicks when it reaches the correct reading on the craftsman, it's not the best way to check but at least you'll know if it's broken or one is way off

one of the teeth in my harbor freight wrench must be broken because once in a while it'll give a big click way before it's at spec, but most of the time it works fine, for $15 it lasted long enough and I can still use it hahah
Old 08-31-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

snap-on techangle FTW!!!! you can't beat a digital torque wrench that also does angles, especially with torque to yield bolts! I own a 3/8" and 1/2" snap-on techangle.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

that looks like a great tool
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Launching!

What are the torque ranges of these torque wrenches?

22 ft.lbs is pretty low, I bet what's happening is that it's on the lower end of the torque wrench range and the guts aren't wound tight enough to measure the torque accurately and for the mechanisms to work correctly.

If it is within the torque range of the wrench, they could just be broken.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Transws6 have u had any problems with your techangles i have both the 3/8 and 1/2 ive had to resolder the battery brass tag inside on each one and ive also had to send them both out for repair once each in the past two years for either shutting off as soon as u grab the handle or are mid torque... I do love them tho i use them both almost every day there very accurate and tq angle is great especially when in a tight spot u dont have to re set like the old pointer method
Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spaulding
Transws6 have u had any problems with your techangles i have both the 3/8 and 1/2 ive had to resolder the battery brass tag inside on each one and ive also had to send them both out for repair once each in the past two years for either shutting off as soon as u grab the handle or are mid torque... I do love them tho i use them both almost every day there very accurate and tq angle is great especially when in a tight spot u dont have to re set like the old pointer method
I can't say I've used them every day, but I've owned them for about 3 years now, I have never had a problem with them. The only thing I've used the 1/2" on is my head stud nuts, crank pulley, and to torque my lug nuts down, other than that I've used the 3/8" alot.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
snap-on techangle FTW!!!! you can't beat a digital torque wrench that also does angles, especially with torque to yield bolts! I own a 3/8" and 1/2" snap-on techangle.
Not a bad way to spend $800.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

I've got a set of craftsman 3/8" and 1/2" and even on low-torque there is a noticeable clicking. Never had an issue with it, either.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

use the right torque wrench for the required torque, general rule is to stay within half of torque range on the tool to get the most accurate reading
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Have the digital Snap On Techtorque unit myself. Very nice wrench. You can check ft lbs while taking a bolt off to record the break torque.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most torque wrenches are only guaranteed within their measured accuracy from a low value of 10-20% of the maximum torque value. In other words, if it's a 200ft-lb max wrench, it's accuracy may only be assured at 40ftlbs and up. As others have said, it's because there may not be enough spring pressure for the wrench to work properly at low values. That's why you really need 2 wrenches, one for light values, and one for large values.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spaulding
I had an issue with mine doing the shut off thing. I figured out that I was holding the very end of the tool where the cap screws in. It would pull the cap to the side and the wrench would shut off. I just make sure I grab the handle a little higher up and have had zero problems since then.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get the 3/8 drive snap on torque wrench used for $200 on ebay.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Most torque wrenches are only guaranteed within their measured accuracy from a low value of 10-20% of the maximum torque value. In other words, if it's a 200ft-lb max wrench, it's accuracy may only be assured at 40ftlbs and up. As others have said, it's because there may not be enough spring pressure for the wrench to work properly at low values. That's why you really need 2 wrenches, one for light values, and one for large values.
This is very true, at my work we have a wall of torque wrenches, some only a foot long, some around 8ft long that work up to 1500 ft-lbs. A small fastener needs a smaller torque wrench, things like intake manifold bolts at 35 ft-lbs are barely anything. Some small things are even set in in-lbs which I hate dealing with.

I have the 1/2" SnapOn Techangle but I really only use it on mains, rods, heads, flywheel, and harmonic balancer. For other stuff like lugnuts I just use my Husky 1/2". And I have a beam type wrench which is always good, especially when you have to switch between torque values often.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

While the cheaper wrenches may be a certain percentage off at lower figures you can tell exactly when to stop by paying attention and knowing what you are doing. I can do 20 ft/lbs with my 1/2 inch drive all day you just have to go slow and feel for it. There is no click at those figures.

Quick Reply: my torque wrench