Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

TIG, water cooled or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TIG, water cooled or not?

I am looking to purchase a tig for my garage. I am a college student and could make some money on the side with the welder as alot of my friends need fab work done. The only tig i have experience with is a Lincoln precision tig 275 with the water cooled add-on. I have never used a tig without water cooling, is it really worth the extra money. I have been looking at used welders in the $1500ish price range.

any input would be great
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

As a general rule, go with water cooled wherever possible. More importantly though, would be to try to find a switchable ac/dc tig with pulse function. That way, aluminum will turn out really pretty

For a decent "chinesium" unit....check out the Everlast 250ex. It has all the functions you'll need, no water cooling though. Good for a "non-production" environment.

Edit: Apparently, they are being advertised WITH water-cooled torch....interesting.

Last edited by salemetro; 11-11-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

water cooled is the only way to go
i have a precision tig 275 and i made my own water cool system from a car rad and an RV 110V electric water pump
i can weld aluminum continuously all day long with no overheating issues
cost me about 500$ to build
Beaudacious
Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless you're doing 'production type' continuous welding all day long, a water cooled set up isn't really necessary. For the average garage, shop, or home user a standard TIG works great. I use a Miller XMT 304 for TIG & stick welding with a SuitCase 8VS attached for MIG welding.

Mike
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike52
Unless you're doing 'production type' continuous welding all day long, a water cooled set up isn't really necessary. For the average garage, shop, or home user a standard TIG works great.
x1000
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike52
Unless you're doing 'production type' continuous welding all day long, a water cooled set up isn't really necessary. For the average garage, shop, or home user a standard TIG works great. I use a Miller XMT 304 for TIG & stick welding with a SuitCase 8VS attached for MIG welding.

Mike

Agreed, unless you weld a lot of thicker aluminum. The torch can heat up in a hurry.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Another consideration: Dry torches are usually larger than water cooled. If you plan on tite area welding,[roll cages, etc], the water torch is a better choice....
Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

if your looking in the 1500$ price range- and not looking to do giant projects with it- the hobart EZ tig you can get brand new and will do just fine. its not a top of the line machine- but for somone on a budget it works just fine
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys, i am on the lookout for a used watercooled machine then. Generally how much maintenance do these things require with age? Is it worth spending alot more on a unit that didnt have much use?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by salemetro
As a general rule, go with water cooled wherever possible. More importantly though, would be to try to find a switchable ac/dc tig with pulse function. That way, aluminum will turn out really pretty

For a decent "chinesium" unit....check out the Everlast 250ex. It has all the functions you'll need, no water cooling though. Good for a "non-production" environment.

Edit: Apparently, they are being advertised WITH water-cooled torch....interesting.
Although the Everlast units arent top of the line and are reasonably priced, they do have a 5 year warantee on all of their machines. They must be pretty good or they wouldnt be able to offer that. I am thinking about one of their multiprocess units that does stick, tig, and plasma all in one machine.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Teching In

You can get away with an air cooled torch, but if plan on doing anything welding above 150 amps your gonna cook a 9 series torch in a hurry. I started off with an air cooled torch and now have a water cooled setup, I would never go back. But I weld a lot of aluminum.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, water cooled is the way to go if you want to spend 5,000+$ but at that point you are not just a hobby welder, well you might be...
At my shop we do not have water cooled Tig on any of the machines, we can weld stainless and aluminum for an extended time with NO problems. We just sold all of those machines and going with a couple of the new miller diversion 180.
Water cooling is if you are doing thicker material for a longer period of time, if you are only doing 3/16" an air cooled torch can do that all day from my experience.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Sure you can use an air cooled torch, but a water cooler setup usually runs around $600 - $900 depending on what you buy. You can get a weldtec cooler and 20 series torch for about $700 out the door. Personally welding started out as a hobby for me, but has turned into more of a career for me. I use my welder almost ever single day, and would never go back to an air cooled setup, unless I wanted something portable.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Buy a Longevity TIG welder. 5 year warranty and ridiculously good customer service. If you tell them that 22lambo sent you they will even give you a good discount. I have had my TIG for about 2 years and still goes like a champ. I have never used a water cooled one the air cooled is fine for me.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

I use one almost everyday , go water cooled.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Teching In

for what its worth, I have an older Miller syncrowave 300 w/ water cooling and pulser option that I picked up for 650 locally, might be worth looking into older water cooled, transformer machines if you don't need to move it.

Last edited by noskcaj; 12-29-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Some people use a water cooled torch and just hook a hose up and run the output into a drain somewhere. At leat that way you don't spend a lot on a cooler.

Ryph
Old 12-30-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
Although the Everlast units arent top of the line and are reasonably priced, they do have a 5 year warantee on all of their machines. They must be pretty good or they wouldnt be able to offer that. I am thinking about one of their multiprocess units that does stick, tig, and plasma all in one machine.
I was looking at an Everlast tig/plasma cutter. I search on the net a while and came up with too many people complaining the machines weren't working straight from the box and others who have had their machines replaced several times. I've never owned one, but it sounds like *when* the machines goes they're very willing to replace it. I believe their products are assembled in China but use name brand components. *From my experience* 'outsourced China business model' means they have little or no QC therefore it's extremely cheap to manufacture and ultimately more cost effective to replace a unit vs repairing one. When that unit is out of warranty where are you going to go to fix it? The The price is definitely right for many of us who can't afford the blue/red brands. Still I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

I just posted my review on the Everlast welder that I had in a new thread.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

dry rig torches are usually a bit larger than water-cooled torches, keep that in mind if you get into REALLY tight places.

If you weld aluminum very much, the dry rig will get hot.....probably not burning-your-hand hot, but hot compared to the wet rig which won't hardly warm up at all.

Quick Reply: TIG, water cooled or not?