Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

what are good left hand drill bits and easy outs ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what are good left hand drill bits and easy outs ?

I bought an easy out set with left hand cobalt drill bits from drillbit warehouse online. They suck. i need to double check some of the other bits on some regular home depot steel to see if they cut, but the small bit i was using stopped cutting after about a minute of use on some head bolts in a small briggs and stratton engine. Is everything chinese crap these days or what?
I saw what looks like the same exact set on the wall at autozone for $10 cheaper than what i mail ordered.
I need a good drill bit to get a broken exhaust stud out of the cylinder head on an 8.1L in my truck, hoping to do it without pulling the head. thanks.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weld a nut onto the broken stud even if its sunken in u can build up the weld and then place the nut on it then take it out let it cool for a few seconds,might have to re heat and cool with torch also. ive got snap on left hand bits and they last and work like a champ i wouldnt even waste your time with the easy out center punch dead nuts on the stud and start small going up in size till u can just see remaing threads pick the threads out and clean with a chaser. I just did a 8.1 last week at work i welded came right out. Take the inner wheel well out it comes right out and gives u plenty of room to work good luck
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for, just like carbide cobalt has different grades.Try MSC or McMaster Carr they have damn good stuff there. Building it up with a welder is a good idea but not always applicable.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default You Want Good Ones???

Norseman Drill and Tool, Made in St. Paul/Chisolm, MN. I was drilling casted steel alignment holes in some door hinges prior to disassembly, broke seveveral chinese 1/8" bits. I actually broke one half way through, I got P.O. Went to my local welding supply store and ordered these. Drilled through the broken bit and then drilled through the other hinge like it was wood, with the same bit. Next day I bought there spot weld cutters and a full index. High quality American made stuff, more expensive than the crap at the parts store or national chains but to me they are priceless!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

easy outs are the worst thing invented. you are better off with a solid carbide drill. it doesnt matter if its right or left hand. you have to drill through the bolt. and

use plenty of cutting oil to keep it cool.

mcmaster , and use-enco.com has a wide selection of carbide drills.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Morse tool drill bits are the only way to go.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Snap-On set; used em last Saturday; buddy snapped a rocker bolt on his C5Z, he's a noob and learning fast, didn't have the 'bump' feel of the TQ wrench

a few minutes and the no.2 bit grabbed the broken bolt and got it done.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be very very careful with carbide, it is harder than hell, and will cut almost anything, but it is brittle, breaks easy, and you will never get out a broken piece.

Carbide tools are intended for use in milling machines and drill presses
Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Default broken bolt

I bought some terminator solid carbide drills from drill bit warehouse and i was drilling out a door pin on a volkswagon door. Nothing I could find would even touch it. the bit from drill bit warehouse was amazing and cut like butter. When you need to drill out a hardened broken bolt. Call drill bit warehouse and ask for Mike. He knows his stuff. I buy all my bits from them and only them.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

left or right hand drill bits isn't going to matter on a broken exhaust stud, it's not going to go any further in the hole using right hand bits, but I use MATCO cobalt, drill bits, kinda pricey for the full set, but the 1/16 to 1/4 right hand drill bits and the 3/32 to 3/8 left hand drill bit kits are reasonable, I use them all the time at work with plenty of lube.

Quick Reply: what are good left hand drill bits and easy outs ?