Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Help me design my garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me design my garage

I have been presented with a great opportunity. I have a 9'x18' space in the garage that will be open for me to setup a workshop. I have enclosed some pics to give an idea of layout. Currently, the only things from the pictures that will remain are the lawn gear (mower, edger, trimmer, and blower), toolbox, and compressor. Everything else will either be tossed, given to Salvation Army, or moved to the attic. The shelves might stay, but it is more likely I will tear them down and put up something better.

We moved into the house in December (our first), and it is likely this is as clean as the garage will ever get, so I'm looknig for suggestions.

Thanks!

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Help me design my garage-garage_front.jpg   Help me design my garage-garage_middle.jpg   Help me design my garage-garage_back.jpg  
Old 07-15-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attic space, crawl space, and shelves are your friends.

You'll probably have to back your car in to the garage to get the car door open if you leave the shelves & stuff against the wall like that.

2 houses ago, I realized that there was an area under my stairs that had no opening. I went in through the garage and cut a 3x3 hole in the wall. Sure enough, there was an 8 x 8 x 3' area that had nothing in it... Perfect spot to store car parts and misc stuff.

You'll want some heavy duty shelves. Not the cheapies, but some heavy ones (about $60-$70 from Lowes/Home Depot).

I know what it's like to work in confined spaces (once you get a car in a 9x18 space, you'll realize how confined it is)... I did front end rebuilds, h/c swaps, header installs, torque converter installs, etc... in this garage.

And the reason we bought the house we're living in now is actually out behind the house...

That shop saved my marriage.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Actually, this is half of the garage. The other half (another 9x18 space) is totally open except for a cabinet and my Rhino ramps, which are up against the wall. So the 9x18 space in the pictures above will not have a car parked in it.

I'm liking the shelves idea. I'm also thinking about buying some bathroom cabinet kits and building a work bench.

-Mike
Old 07-15-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wherever you can, find used stuff. Shop used office furniture supplies. I picked up a large metal table for $20 at a surplus shop. It's now my tranny building table. I picked up a large wooden 6-drawer desk from work for $20 at the company auction. Got another heavy duty computer table for $10 in perfect shape. Don't buy new if you're going to use it. Look around at junk... you'll be surprised what you can find.

In the back of my shop are two 4x8 pallet shelves for my big stuff (wheels/tires, interior parts & panels, seats, lots of boxes, 2 rear ends, engine block, etc). I bought them used for $100 each. They rock.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Actually, this is half of the garage. The other half (another 9x18 space) is totally open except for a cabinet and my Rhino ramps, which are up against the wall. So the 9x18 space in the pictures above will not have a car parked in it.

I'm liking the shelves idea. I'm also thinking about buying some bathroom cabinet kits and building a work bench.

-Mike
For a good workbench, Do what I did: Buy 2 heavy-duty metal and particleboard shelves, and put them side by side, they'll be about waist high. Then buy a 10 foot section of laminated kitchen countertop, set it on top, then shoot wood screws from underneath the top piece of particleboard into the countertop material. That makes a nice workbench. I have a vise, and a bench grinder thru-bolted into the end of the workbench. I'll post some pics this weekend.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool. Hard to argue with a man who has a fawn pug as his avatar.

Now, another question for all: garage coating: Yea or nay?

-Mike
Old 07-17-2004, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

If you ever plan on selling your new house, get a coating.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:58 AM
9 Second Club

I bought shelf hangars that look like an "L" at home depot. I placed them on every wall 18" below the ceiling every 4 feet. I then placed two 1x8 boards for shelving. It is tall enough than I don't hit my head and leaves all the floor space open. I have 9 ft ceilings so i have to use a step ladder to reach up there. It was very inexpensive but I can get lumber very cheap here in Montana.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

I don't have a floor coating and after 5 engine swaps, a few front end re-builds, a few rear end swaps, and countless other things. Along with some Tide, a pressure washer and some brushes, the floor still looks brand new. Just gotta clean your garage..the floor too.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

www.gladiatorgarageworks.com

I love this stuff. My garage is full of it and items like it.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

I'm faced with a similar dilema. My mom wnat's to buy a home here, and we went and saw it and it had a Huge back yard, and I mean huge. The first thing I thought of was... Garage. I would build it how I wanted to. It would be perfect. One thing though, Have you seen the cement floor on Home Depot? That's the kind of finish I want on the cement floor. Is there a special process for that?

Quick Reply: Help me design my garage