Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Garage Shelving and Workbench ideas needed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Garage Shelving and Workbench ideas needed...

I will soon have a new home with a 441 SQ FT garage.

I'm wanting to add lots of heavy duty shelving and build a nice workbench with a steel or thick gauge aluminum top on the workbench.

I'd like to see pictures of what some of you have in your traditional 2-car garages.

I'm going to be adding 1-3 ceiling mounted shelves, too.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend filling the walls with the big shelves from Home Depot / Lowe's. I don't remember if they're 36" or 48" wide, and roughly 20" deep. The heavy duty ones. Cost about $70-$75 each. Don't get the cheap flimsy ones that "say" they're heavy duty from Target. They are VERY cheap and flimsy.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get shelves that use screws to be put together. Yes, they are less expensive. But they are pure garbage, and take forever to put together. Get the heavy duty shelves that have notches where you simply hammer the parts together.

I bought 2 of the screw together shelves a long time ago, thinking I was saving money. Took over an hour to put each one together, and they don't hold more than 50 lbs per shelf, even less if the weight is dense.

We have the large (I think 48" wide) shelves lining our 2-car garage, and my wife loves it.

(out in my shop, I have 2 4'x8' 3-shelf pallet racks along with a wall of the larger shelves)
Old 03-31-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Camaro, you nailed what I was already gonna do. I want HEAVY DUTY shelves just as you mentioned. I need to check out HD & Lowes more thoroughly.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/198187-garage-re-design-complete.html

I bought those shelves at Lowes. It's actually one set that can be stacked, but it works better for me as a side by side setup.

-Mike
Old 03-31-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198187

I bought those shelves at Lowes. It's actually one set that can be stacked, but it works better for me as a side by side setup.

-Mike
Those are nice! That's what I would recommend. I got lucky and "borrowed" some from work. They are similar to the ones above but instead of stacking on top of each other they have 8ft tall uprights and as long as you have enough shelves it can be as wide as you want. My shelves are the same as the ones in the above pic and I can vouch for their strength. I had a 700r4 trans full of fluid and had the converter on it on a shelf about 4ft high. Didn't even bow the shelf.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you guys have a local Tractor Supply Store theyll have better prices on the sehelves than lowes or home Depot, Plus their complete aisle of Grade 8 Hardware is "exciting" lol

-john
Old 03-31-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPMuscle
If you guys have a local Tractor Supply Store theyll have better prices on the sehelves than lowes or home Depot, Plus their complete aisle of Grade 8 Hardware is "exciting" lol

-john
. I know what you mean. I love that store.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to home depot, buy wood and screws

spend a day making shelves exaclty like you need them.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
go to home depot, buy wood and screws

spend a day making shelves exaclty like you need them.
I understand how shelves are constructed. My post was to get pictures of what others have done. It helps with building ideas to choose from.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

http://www.northerntool.com/catalog/
Maybe get some ideas from here. They got it all.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Default Sams Club Shelving

I love this shelving and have purchased about 12 of them for my shop, garage, and basement. Very sturdy units. They have connecting pins included so you can connect as many together as you like.

If you search Sams website, you will find many more styles to pick from that can be shipped to your local store.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=191351
Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The sams shelves work great i bought some at around $80 a piece it's a great bargan i also bought a roll around toolbox 41" wide 20" deep and around 5 or 6' tall heavy duty all stainless roller bearing drawers and swivel casters w/ locks for around $650 it was a great deal but they still had a ton of them also have them in smaller sizes built a bench out of 2by 4's with a 3/4"MDF top and used liquid nails and button head stainless screws to put a sheet of thin stainless over the MDF
Old 04-03-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've lined the walls with 1x12" plank shelves using the
cheap shelf brackets, Tapcon'd into the cinderblock.

I hung "mezzanine" storage platforms from the rafters
above my car (GF refuses to let me hang any over her
Jag).

I use scrounged ball-slide filing cabinets for my nuts/
bolts/odds/ends collection of coffee cans & jars.

Out in the "shed" I've been slowly nailing together a
16' butcher-block workbench using the PT 1x4 pickets
from the fence I pulled down. Glue & nail, sucker is
not going anywhere.

None of it very photogenic.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Costco gorrila racks are great. Bought 50 of them for my plumbing shop about three years ago and they are still like new with lots of use.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The downfall of the gorilla shelves is the particle board shelf itself. I have several brake rotors stacked on one and it is sagging pretty bad after about a year. The frame work is awesome, though. I hung a fire extinguisher on it.

A work bench ...

I wanted something that was sturdy, yet flexible.

While wandering through a surplus store, I spotted an 8' x 3' boxed frame made from 2x2 aluminum square tube. It was on metal casters. It stood about 24" tall.

I put 3/4 plywood on the bottom and 3/4 plywood on the top. I place 2x4s on edge on top of the upper shelf and another sheet of plywood on top of that. I went to a local sheet matal fab shop and the built me a 4x8 sheet metal top that fit over the top.

The 2x4 labrynth is spaced so that 20x14 metal cases can slide in and out like drawers. Inside are compartments for all those pounds of Tractor Supply nuts and bolts.

The whole thing can move where I need it. But it does move and can be annoying when trying to bend, hammer or torque some object.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When we finsihed my garage a few months back we made my workbench out of 12x12 posts cut to height and for the top we used a 4inch butcher Block supported by 2x6s. For fun after we built it we set my 454 and Trans on it and it didnt even wince.

-john
Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Just picked up a thing of those Lowe's shelves. Nice units and they were only 69.99 where I live. If you stack it 5 tall you're gonna need a step stool to get to that top shelf (I'm 6' and can't see **** up there)

Quick Reply: Garage Shelving and Workbench ideas needed...