Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Power steering pulley puller/installer tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power steering pulley puller/installer tool

Anybody know of a good power steering pulley puller/installer tool? I did a search and found somebody posting up an autozone one but it looks like it's just a puller and not an installer. If I'm going to buy a tool for this I figured I'd just buy one that would do both. Maybe the autozone one will and it just doesn't say though.

I've seen some puller/installers in ebay but don't know which one would be good to go with. I noticed a QTC brand, are they any good? I asked this seller what brand this set was and what the part number is on it for then I can look up if it will work on my '00 LS1 power steering pulley or not:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/power...mZ170076262383

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one on ebay looks just like the kit you can borrow from AutoZone. It will get you by with occasional use. I finally stepped up and bought a BluePoint kit from my Snap On guy. Its the best I've used.

Shane
Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
The one on ebay looks just like the kit you can borrow from AutoZone. It will get you by with occasional use. I finally stepped up and bought a BluePoint kit from my Snap On guy. Its the best I've used.

Shane
When you say that it will get you by with occasional use are you saying that it's enough to get you by and it gets the job done but you wouldn't want to use it everyday like if you were a mechanic type thing?

Thanks for the info btw!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

That one on ebay looks a lot like the one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40749
Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The one from autozone is a puller and installer, I have used it before and it worked pretty good. It is not a quality piece though, but for borrowing it for free I can`t complain. I don`t think I would buy the same one as autozone rents, or a copy/knockoff of it. Either borrow it as a loaner when you need it, or buy a higher quality one.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
That one on ebay looks a lot like the one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40749
It is, good catch man! The guy with the auction just responded to me telling me the following:

Brand : U.S. General
Part # : 40749
Old 02-01-2007, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ted J
It is, good catch man! The guy with the auction just responded to me telling me the following:

Brand : U.S. General
Part # : 40749
Thing is, after shipping, it'll cost you less to go to HF and just buy the thing.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
Thing is, after shipping, it'll cost you less to go to HF and just buy the thing.
Oh I hear ya... just didn't know back when I posted up the link to that auction that HB had it for that price.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Turns out, and I didn't know this before, that Advance Auto lets me rent it for free. Well, I have a $45 deposit I put down but if I bring it back within 45 days then it's a free rental. I don't know if Autozone does the same thing or not but either way that's pretty cool.

I can see why it wouldn't be one you'd want to use every day but it got the job done for me and that's all I cared about. I got the puller and installer all in one kit and I tell you that SOB was a beotch to get off. I had to use my cheater piped rachet and a cheater wrench on the wrech I was using for it took a lot of force to get that thing off. Hopefully putting it back on will be easier but I'm guessing it will be about the same.

Quick Reply: Power steering pulley puller/installer tool