Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman 19.2 Volt Cordless Sawzall worth a damn? How long do they last on a charge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Craftsman 19.2 Volt Cordless Sawzall worth a damn? How long do they last on a charge?

I have been borrowing my friend's OLD *** Milwaukee Sawzall for awhile and it finally blew up the other night. It was a 4 amp old school clunker. Im looking to get a new one. I dont need anything too crazy, I usually just need it for cutting exhaust and stuff like that, maybe body panels and control arms when the impact fails.

Im looking at the Craftsman 19.2 Volt one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...iprocating+saw

How long do these things last on a charge? I dont wanna have to charge the battery 10 times a day just to get something done.

Should I stick with a corded model? Anything should be better than a worn out 4 amp one that I was using though, shouldnt it?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

My Dewalt 14.4 volt one cut through my stock exhaust on my truck with ease. I cut it like 8 times just cause I was having fun. Do you plan on using it every day for work or once and a while? A battery version would be fine every now and then but if it was a tool I used everyday I would go with a corded model unless you needed the versatility of a battery.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's pretty much every once in awhile but when I need it, I NEED IT. Probably leaning towards a corded one right now
Old 10-15-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

I use all Milwaukee stuff at work. Seems to be pretty good. We are going to be getting a cordless sawzall here pretty soon. Let you know how it goes.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they actually last quite a while on a charge, long as you keep a decent blade on it. I have one. Like was said, if your going to use it a long time for something, youll be much happier with a corded model though. I like the portability of the cordless model. I use it when Im remodeling, i can take it under the house, in the attic or anywhere else for that matter. But if I knew i had to use the thing for a few hours solid, youll kick yourself for not getting a corded one. Its kind of like the cordless circular saw i have in the same 19.2 volt. ITs very handy when cutting boards here and there, and will last quite a while when the blade is kept good. But if you know you've got a stack of 2xs that you need to cut, better get the corded model.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redbandit98
they actually last quite a while on a charge, long as you keep a decent blade on it.
There's you answer. The shittier the blade, the harder the saw has to work and the more it heats up. Use Lenox or Milwaukee blades and you should get *decent* performance. Also, check the Ah rating on the Craftsman saw. It's probably pretty low compared to DeWalt or Makita or Milwaukee. That will have a huge influence on how much work you can do per charge.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I said fugg it and bought the corded Craftsman last night but the sob keeps slinging the blade. It does fine, then when it gets in a jam or it isnt a PERFECT cut, it throws the blade. It's toolless and is on there as good as it gets. Tried adjusting the shoe, opened a new pack of Milwaukee Torch Blades, it slung that one like the old one. It did okay with the blade that came with it but it was a cheap pos and got bent easily.

Im not gonna search out blades for this thing and cater to it's every whom, the ****** is going back and Im getting a Ryobi or something.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you sure youre opening the latch all the way? Sometimes it seems like its open but you have to pull the latch up pretty hard to get it to go up all the way. Ive done that several times thinking it was latched but it wasnt. That or maybee you got a piece of **** one I dont know.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

I have a dewalt 18v and I can use the **** out of it. Hours at a time.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are o.k.(for the price).On the batteries,fully charge it and use it until it runs down as much as possible(cycling the battery) then fully charge it and use it again(battery memory) and it should work as WE TODD stated above.$.02
Old 10-19-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn thing is still tossing the blade, or the blade will get stuck in a jam and pop off of the saw. Im messed with the blade lock, you just flip it down to stick the blade in, let go and it flips up. The blade feels tight by hand. Didnt see anyway to make the lock come up any higher. I dunno, disappointed with it, back to Sears it goes.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 87gnx
They are o.k.(for the price).On the batteries,fully charge it and use it until it runs down as much as possible(cycling the battery) then fully charge it and use it again(battery memory) and it should work as WE TODD stated above.$.02
The paperwork they give you with it says to change the battery as soon as performance decreases and not to overdrain/overuse the battery. I always subscribed to your theory about draining the battery, but I have done it their way and it was worked great for 2+ years.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should have explained more, I was kinda' referring to Lithium type batteries.I tend to agree w/mfg'r.

Quick Reply: Craftsman 19.2 Volt Cordless Sawzall worth a damn? How long do they last on a charge?