Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Need TIG welding help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to talk to you guys about nuke welding... I have been TIG welding since I was 14.. and I'm looking for a career change.....just dont know who to talk to or where to go...
Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
I need to talk to you guys about nuke welding... I have been TIG welding since I was 14.. and I'm looking for a career change.....just dont know who to talk to or where to go...
where are you located? are you union or non union?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Charlotte area North Carolina But originally from the central Valley in CA Im neither rightnow dont really know which way to go you hear pro's and cons about both.. thats where talking to experenced people come into play
Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

south port(wilmington), north anna(louisa, va), surry(surry,va), sharron harris( nc) are all close to you. i dont know what contractor has the nc plants, but dz atlantic has north anna and surry. north anna has an outage in sept. pre outage will start usaully about a month or so before that. ROADTECHS.COM is a good site to get info from about nuke outages. it gives info on dates, length, and contractors. are you a pipe or structual welder?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a plant right there near Charlotte. That is were I am working right now. It is McGuire in Huntersville, NC. The contractor is DZ Atlantic. You will have to be able to pass a two coupon pipe test. You definately cannot just be a tig welder. Both coupons are 2.5 inch schedule 160 pipe. #1 is ER70S root and filler to cap. #2 is ER70S root and hot pass, with a E7018 balance. For those of you that are not familiar that is a tig all the way out pipe and a tig root and hot pass and the rest of it stick. There are many other tests, but to get in the door at Duke you have to be able to pass those tests. Look DZ Atlantic up on the internet and give them a call. Let them know you are a welder and they will definately find you work if you can pass a weld test.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99345hp
There is a plant right there near Charlotte. That is were I am working right now. It is McGuire in Huntersville, NC. The contractor is DZ Atlantic. You will have to be able to pass a two coupon pipe test. You definately cannot just be a tig welder. Both coupons are 2.5 inch schedule 160 pipe. #1 is ER70S root and filler to cap. #2 is ER70S root and hot pass, with a E7018 balance. For those of you that are not familiar that is a tig all the way out pipe and a tig root and hot pass and the rest of it stick. There are many other tests, but to get in the door at Duke you have to be able to pass those tests. Look DZ Atlantic up on the internet and give them a call. Let them know you are a welder and they will definately find you work if you can pass a weld test.
I live 5 minutes from the Mcguire station.... right in Burkdale Village area... off of 73.... As far as what type of welder I am Im neither, I work for race teams so its mostly 4130 ,mild steel ,Aluminum I guess you could say Im new to those areas to say the least..I have no doubt that I can eventually pass any test if given the propper instruction I havent stick welded for a few years but feel confident that I can pick it back up easly... Not to be to personal but what would be an approx salary of a qualified person?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not ashamed of what I make by any means. I have already grossed over 50k this year. If you call DZ Atlantic they have a school that is for people that can already weld and just need a little instruction to pass the test.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Very nice machine, when can I buy one?!!
I found this today: http://www.mjbwelding.com/pics/Diversion_165_Flyer.pdf

$1394 is their price.

And BR Welding Supplies has it listed, but no price yet: http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/pro...roduct_id=1422

-Josh
Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdustu
I found this today: http://www.mjbwelding.com/pics/Diversion_165_Flyer.pdf

$1394 is their price.

And BR Welding Supplies has it listed, but no price yet: http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/pro...roduct_id=1422

-Josh
Thanks I really need that machine and the optional foot pedal. I'm slow and usually warp 1/16" plate that I'm practicng on. If I turn it up its hard for me move fast enough to not burn through or make the opposite side of the weld scale up.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

You want to burn through. If you arn't burning through 1/16th plate then you are welding way too cold. It only takes a wire brush to get rid of the scale on the backside. If it is stainless then you need to run an argon purge on the backside of the weld.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

You want to burn through. If you arn't burning through 1/16th plate then you are welding way too cold. It only takes a wire brush to get rid of the scale on the backside. If it is stainless then you need to run an argon purge on the backside of the weld.
Thanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was kind of in a hurry with that last post. When groove welding two pieces of metal together, you want the back side of the weld to look like it was welded also. You want both sides of the joint to break down and become part of the weld. If you dont have burn through, the opposite side of the joint could cause the weld to crack and break. If you move up to thicker material, you will have to bevel the pieces to be able to melt though without having to use too much heat. Welding and getting proper penetration takes practice, but once you get the hang of it, you will be able to watch what is going on in the puddle and be able to tell if it is breaking down the opposite side.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

I was kind of in a hurry with that last post. When groove welding two pieces of metal together, you want the back side of the weld to look like it was welded also. You want both sides of the joint to break down and become part of the weld. If you dont have burn through, the opposite side of the joint could cause the weld to crack and break. If you move up to thicker material, you will have to bevel the pieces to be able to melt though without having to use too much heat. Welding and getting proper penetration takes practice, but once you get the hang of it, you will be able to watch what is going on in the puddle and be able to tell if it is breaking down the opposite side.
Thanks again, I got my cousin that happens to be an awesome welder show me some stuff practicing with the 1/16 plate today. I have to say that seing it helped me out a lot. I also saw a few things that I was doing wrong.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the best way to learn. One on one instruction with another experienced welder. I went to school to learn, but I still had a ton of stuff to learn once I got out in the field.

Quick Reply: Need TIG welding help/advice