Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Need TIG welding help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need TIG welding help/advice

I keep getting the filler rod stuck in the pool, cant figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using a 200A air cooled Weldcraft torch, DCEN, 3/32 collette & tungsten (2% red band), got the machine set on 100A , #8 cup, & my gas (argon) set to 20. What am I doing wrong? I am holding the filler rod 15* like I read that I'm supposed to but I can get the rod dipped in and out about 3/4 times and it always ends up getting stuck in the pool. I cant figure it out.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
I keep getting the filler rod stuck in the pool, cant figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using a 200A air cooled Weldcraft torch, DCEN, 3/32 collette & tungsten (2% red band), got the machine set on 100A , #8 cup, & my gas (argon) set to 20. What am I doing wrong? I am holding the filler rod 15* like I read that I'm supposed to but I can get the rod dipped in and out about 3/4 times and it always ends up getting stuck in the pool. I cant figure it out.
What are you welding? usually it means too little heat, but if your not experianced it could be technique. It's hard to diagnose for me, as I've been doing it so long, I dont even think about it anymore, it's like writing.

What is the base metal, thickness, and position of welding.... we'll go from there.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADD SS
What are you welding? usually it means too little heat, but if your not experianced it could be technique. It's hard to diagnose for me, as I've been doing it so long, I dont even think about it anymore, it's like writing.

What is the base metal, thickness, and position of welding.... we'll go from there.
Thanks for the response. I'm just laying stringers on some 1/16 on a flat workbench to get the hang of it before I start my truck manifold setup. I can mig pretty decent but TIG is COMPLETELY different.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the response. I'm just laying stringers on some 1/16 on a flat workbench to get the hang of it before I start my truck manifold setup. I can mig pretty decent but TIG is COMPLETELY different.
Well, your a little High for 1/16 steel. General rule is 1 amp per .001 thousanths thick. So 1/16= about 62 thousanths. 62 x 1 = 62 amps. But I generally set the coarse range to 85 or so and the fine to like 45%. This way I can add more heat or less with the peddle. Basically, you want the molten puddle to form, then you dip and move forward. Dont try to melt the rod with the torch, let the puddle melt the rod. Now, you can use the peddle to add more heat, let the puddle form, melt the rod and let off the peddle, to solidify the puddle just a tad as you move forward. Basically it's all about practice. Let the puddle melt the rod, and go from there...
Old 06-18-2008, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Well, your a little High for 1/16 steel. General rule is 1 amp per .001 thousanths thick. So 1/16= about 62 thousanths. 62 x 1 = 62 amps. But I generally set the coarse range to 85 or so and the fine to like 45%. This way I can add more heat or less with the peddle. Basically, you want the molten puddle to form, then you dip and move forward. Dont try to melt the rod with the torch, let the puddle melt the rod. Now, you can use the peddle to add more heat, let the puddle form, melt the rod and let off the peddle, to solidify the puddle just a tad as you move forward. Basically it's all about practice. Let the puddle melt the rod, and go from there...

Thanks, letting the puddle melt the rod and not the arc is helpful, I'll give it a try tomorrow. But I dont have a pedal
Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice, I did the same thing when I was learning. It was all my fault. It was bad technique, hand-hand-foot coordination.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Tigging Aluminum, any technique for that ?? I can do steel pretty decent but I can't do Aluminum, no matter howmuch I brush the damn thing.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks, letting the puddle melt the rod and not the arc is helpful, I'll give it a try tomorrow. But I dont have a pedal
What kind of machine are you running? Are you scratch starting with an arc-welder with a tig torch and gas valve? Almost all tig machines have a peddle. If your machine has a 14pin plug in, it would make your life a lot easier to use a peddle.

So, what machine are you using?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDMPalace
How about Tigging Aluminum, any technique for that ?? I can do steel pretty decent but I can't do Aluminum, no matter howmuch I brush the damn thing.
What kind of problems do you encounter? Is it cosmetic, or is it that there is lack of fusion. Or is it like black soot.... Or just trouble forming a bead..
Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

What kind of machine are you running? Are you scratch starting with an arc-welder with a tig torch and gas valve? Almost all tig machines have a peddle. If your machine has a 14pin plug in, it would make your life a lot easier to use a peddle.

So, what machine are you using?
Yes I'm scratch starting,I'm using a Lincoln diesel generator/stick welder. It looks 100 years old but runs pretty good still.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Yes I'm scratch starting,I'm using a Lincoln diesel generator/stick welder. It looks 100 years old but runs pretty good still.
LOL, thats probably one of the reasons it's difficult. Is it an SA-200? I have wanted one for a while... I just have a little Miller Bobcat. if it is an SA-200 its going to be difficult tig welding with, at least easily. If you have a decent amount of welding, or may have in the future, you might be better off getting a dedicated tig machine. Scratch starting off an old generator is difficult for experienced tig weldors, for a begginer it will be like pulling teeth. You would be better off with a used syncrowave or such, anything that has high freq, coarse and fine adjustments and a foot peddle.

This is what I use, a bit much for what you need i think, but just to show you this is an old machine and has hardly anything the new dynasty's have, yet welds great, it was $1100, with the bottle, nd water cooler off craigslist.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

LOL, thats probably one of the reasons it's difficult. Is it an SA-200? I have wanted one for a while... I just have a little Miller Bobcat. if it is an SA-200 its going to be difficult tig welding with, at least easily. If you have a decent amount of welding, or may have in the future, you might be better off getting a dedicated tig machine. Scratch starting off an old generator is difficult for experienced tig weldors, for a begginer it will be like pulling teeth. You would be better off with a used syncrowave or such, anything that has high freq, coarse and fine adjustments and a foot peddle.

This is what I use, a bit much for what you need i think, but just to show you this is an old machine and has hardly anything the new dynasty's have, yet welds great, it was $1100, with the bottle, nd water cooler off craigslist.

Yeah your machine is like a Cadillac compared to my welder. Its a SA-250, I have no problems scratch starting now after burning up 2 electrodes lol!
Here's some pics of the old machine I'm using.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah your machine is like a Cadillac compared to my welder. Its a SA-250, I have no problems scratch starting now after burning up 2 electrodes lol!
Here's some pics of the old machine I'm using.

Well, if you plan on using the sa-250, my best advice is practice alot with different heat settings, and learn some torch manipulation. Do you have an Oxy/acetylene welding torch? The best way to learn tig, is with an oxy/acetylene torch, imo. Instead of the arc, you use the flame learn how manipulation, angles, and correct timing produce a good bead, with oxy/acetylene, you use distance to work like a peddle ramp up/down. Since ya dont have that peddle though, it would be a good way to show you how heat and timing affect bead appearance and your sticking problems. Once you realise how much heat to add, how long to dip, etc. tig should be easy.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Well, if you plan on using the sa-250, my best advice is practice alot with different heat settings, and learn some torch manipulation. Do you have an Oxy/acetylene welding torch? The best way to learn tig, is with an oxy/acetylene torch, imo. Instead of the arc, you use the flame learn how manipulation, angles, and correct timing produce a good bead, with oxy/acetylene, you use distance to work like a peddle ramp up/down. Since ya dont have that peddle though, it would be a good way to show you how heat and timing affect bead appearance and your sticking problems. Once you realise how much heat to add, how long to dip, etc. tig should be easy.
Thanks! I just tried it with an extra 10 amps and it made a BIG difference, I can see with some time and experience I could get the hang of it and make some decent looking beads. No perfect stack of dimes though, lol.

Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 06-19-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Although for the most part correct, sawing on the pedal like that to get the weld bead to do what you want it to do is frowned upon for a high quality weld (there are some places that would automatically throw that weld away) because changing temperature like that could promote future cracking. It is the quickest/easiest way to get what most people expect a TIG weld to look like. What some do as a compromise is to sort of “rock” back and forth, you get the puddle going with the torch, and then rock both hands back, so the torch goes back to the start of the puddle and the filler wire dips into the puddle, and then rock forward again to move the puddle forward. The really talented people out there can pretty much adjust their speed and heat so that the pedal stays constant during the majority of the weld, and the speed stays constant (no stop starting or moving back and forth) and they control heat/get the puddle to freeze that little bit by having it very close and dipping the rod to cool the puddle a little.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silverback
Although for the most part correct, sawing on the pedal like that to get the weld bead to do what you want it to do is frowned upon for a high quality weld (there are some places that would automatically throw that weld away) because changing temperature like that could promote future cracking. It is the quickest/easiest way to get what most people expect a TIG weld to look like. What some do as a compromise is to sort of “rock” back and forth, you get the puddle going with the torch, and then rock both hands back, so the torch goes back to the start of the puddle and the filler wire dips into the puddle, and then rock forward again to move the puddle forward. The really talented people out there can pretty much adjust their speed and heat so that the pedal stays constant during the majority of the weld, and the speed stays constant (no stop starting or moving back and forth) and they control heat/get the puddle to freeze that little bit by having it very close and dipping the rod to cool the puddle a little.
What is your experiance? I think thats plain incorrect unless your talking about specialty alloy's. But with them you usually need a vacuum chamber anyway, as a slight draft will ruin the weld. Does not happen with mild steel, alum, or even stainless. (even though stainless should technically be back purged to prevent sugar forming, out in the feild I've never had an issue.

If slight manipulations of the pedal were incorrect procedure, high end tig machines would never have a pulsing option... While it's true that the dip will control the heat, 99% of the time, most weldors will use the pedal to help the process, Im not talking abolut on off on, but a 5-10 amp (if that) change.

FWIW, I have never ever heard of a test failing do to using the pedal to control heat.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with BADSS on this one , pretty much every weldor I work with "uses" the pedal . This is also why pulsing is an integral part of any good tig setup . Using an old SA 250 to learn to tig would probably be pretty difficult , I've been lucky enough to work @ places that had good equipment . I have to say $1100 for that setup was a steal .
Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by v8pwr
I'm with BADSS on this one , pretty much every weldor I work with "uses" the pedal . This is also why pulsing is an integral part of any good tig setup . Using an old SA 250 to learn to tig would probably be pretty difficult , I've been lucky enough to work @ places that had good equipment . I have to say $1100 for that setup was a steal .

Working with an SA 250 is hard lol! If I could step on a pedal and get more amperage right as I dip the filler rod I think I could make a decent looking bead.

I have heard 2K plus is what I should look at paying for a basic AC/DC 220 machine with high frequency capabilities. 1100 is a steal IMO.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Working with an SA 250 is hard lol! If I could step on a pedal and get more amperage right as I dip the filler rod I think I could make a decent looking bead.

I have heard 2K plus is what I should look at paying for a basic AC/DC 220 machine with high frequency capabilities. 1100 is a steal IMO.
Seriously, check craiglist and ebay... There on there ALL the time.

Hell, a brand new Dynasty 200DX, can be had for 2500 brand new, with more functions than you can shake a stick at, and in a small, portable package.

Just need to know where to buy stuff, if you go to your local welding supply, expect to pay $3300 or so for the same machine. I dont remember, I think IOS Indiana oxygen has the Dynasty for $2595 or something...

Budget... Ebay,craigslist
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Seriously, check craiglist and ebay... There on there ALL the time.

Hell, a brand new Dynasty 200DX, can be had for 2500 brand new, with more functions than you can shake a stick at, and in a small, portable package.

Just need to know where to buy stuff, if you go to your local welding supply, expect to pay $3300 or so for the same machine. I dont remember, I think IOS Indiana oxygen has the Dynasty for $2595 or something...

Budget... Ebay,craigslist
Thanks! I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, I think 2500 is a good price.

Quick Reply: Need TIG welding help/advice