Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Snap-On Fanatics!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snap-On Fanatics!

I just ordered and received some "Snap-On" files recently for our work tool crib. The packaging says, "Snap-On", and "manufactured for Snap-On Tools", but, right there, stamped on the files it says, "made in Portugal".

Are we REALLY "buying American"??? ROFL

On a side note, some other items I've ordered from Snap-On have been less than spectacular in the reliability dept., i.e. rechargeable flashlights (cheap plastic junk)!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

nothing is "American" anymore, hell this pop im drinking was probably made in china.....****.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

well unfortunately in this day and age if you want quality you have to really search long and hard for it. not just expect it.....hell, look at craftsman sockets and ratchets, theyre made in the usa and BLOW DONKEY *****!!!! id rather buy the best 3/8 drive ratchet they have and use it as a lead sinker during fluke season then wrench on a car with it!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

I've never had a real problem with any of the ones I have from Craftsman.....??? Why do they blow donkey *****? I have a 3/8 professional one that I've had for over 4 years.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have been thinking that too just got a crowsfoot set and what bothered me was on my bosses set the sizes were engraved and on mine it was just rised etching weird
Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I use Snap-on at work and Craftsman at home. Craftsman has been great to me and easily accessible if something breaks. The price is right for Craftsman.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of my ratchets are Craftsman professional and never had a single problem with mine ever. And they get used a lot.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Hey -- I've been told that Dykes use snap-on tools!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Craftsman has held up quite well for me and I've used then for years and I think the only thing I've replaced and with the warranty is a screwdriver. I also have a Snap On screwdriver in my chest right now with a broken tip. A lot of the time its a matter of taking care of your stuff and using the right tool for the job, too!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by loweredd
I've never had a real problem with any of the ones I have from Craftsman.....??? Why do they blow donkey *****? I have a 3/8 professional one that I've had for over 4 years.
you got ripped!!!
if yall say craftsman does not blow then you honestly dont use them enough. i work at a dealership and i use snap on and matco products. never had a problem. i have a **** tone of craftsman at the house and it seems like i break a socket every otherday. craftsman is good for the mickey mouse type stuff but as soon as you start to torque heads, mains, diffs, ect your gonna need the good stuff.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Just so you guys know....the Craftsman Pro series and Standard ratchets are internally the same. They use the same exact rebuild packs. I was a PMT for Sears for 2 years and one of my responsibilities was rebuilding ratchets.....You guys would return then and are supposed to get rebuilds. Nothing wrong with the rebuilds but the guts are the same..... only difference is how much nicer the Pro series feels on your hands.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know......I went to get a rebuild kit for a professional series 3/8 ratchet, and they said it WASN'T the same. I actually got one from Sears in the mail....??

I didn't buy it cause I thought the professional one would be stronger, just becuase it fits in the hand better than the old style, and it was polished, so it cleans off easier.

For the other guy saying that they aren't breaking because they aren't getting used, I beg to differ. I don't care if Snap-On is more expensive. Lifetime warranty is lifetime warranty. If I bust something at home, I don't have time to wait around to see a Snap-On truck to replace something. I can go to Sears and exchange it.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

the difference is exchanging a wrench a few times and never having to exchange one!

actually a month ago i went through hell swapping out 1/4" drive craftsman pro wrenches. id go through one every two - three days and i only liked it because it had a long comfy handle and loose ratcheting mechanism. i have snap on and matco wrenches that work like new and are over 15 years old, never rebuilt. ....not only that but my snap on guy will show up within 20 min. of me calling. i dont have to go anywhere. i will say that the craftsman pro series are alot nicer then the generic ones but its still no comparison to mac, matco, snap on etc.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

the one thing i hate about craftsman ratchets is the damn rectangular handle, it sucks to put cheater bars on.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

I use everything Mac because our Snap-on guy is a toolbag and NEVER shows up. He hasn't stopped by in the last 2 years at the shop so I don't bother.

On the other had, our Mac guy comes by every week and if I need anything he is never too stuck up to answer his phone or meet me somewhere. And he truly honors the lifetime warranty.

That, and Mac just feels like a stronger product to me compared to Snap-On or any other brand, ESPECIALLY wrenches.

But I agree, Mac/SnapOn/Matco = far superior to craftsman. I have craftsman at home and it is indeed junk compared to my Mac.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

The Snap on tools and thier boxes were ok. I used to work on Helos. I used Craftman tools quite a bit and didnt mind altering them for specific jobs. The Snap On dog bones Tq adapters sucked ***. They would break about every other job. My Snap On rachets would not hold while I was tightening bolts down. It would do a auto switch on me and to get a Snap On replaced by thier dealers is horrible. Its all tool abuse and they dont want to exchange. I work in the oil industry and for the price I send out Craftsman,blackhawk,or wright tools. All lifetime warrenty and if they destroy them. Who cares they are cheap. I like Mac-Matco-and some Snap On wrenches. But they do have some NICE tool boxes.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Save money and I buy the Craftsmen which leads to more money for the car.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I build tanks, i built offroad race trucks for a company in the past, and i wrench all the time...

i lost a front tooth to a Crapsman ratchet. they're pieces of ****, including the long professional serires one that are matco knock-offs.. the matco one is 1000x better, doesn't wobble and is more solid..

i only use snap-on ratchets..

crapsman wrenches and sockets are OK, but if I need to use an impact or put some torque on it, it's gonna be snap-on.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

That's why they make impact tools.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a mac customer 100%. never had a snap-off guy worth a ****, and my mac dealer is a friend of mine, so I'm always invited over for beer and steaks. Hell almost everthing in my toolbox is mac, if you wanna play, you gotta pay. I also work in a dealership, kenworth now, saturn before.

Quick Reply: Snap-On Fanatics!