Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Who would be interested in a West Coast LS/LT shootout?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will assume we are also going to invite GTOs and vettes? how about G8s?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

So down
Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man I hope it will be in April so it will give me more then enough time to have everything done
Old 10-24-2008, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

That woulod be bad ***.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

I talked to a guy tonight at irwindale that said he is down for sure to represent so cal. Ran 6.2X on motor tonight, and yes its LS based. His name is Eric with a Red WS6

As for the 8.60 LSX car I was ******* around. Not too sure on whats the fastest down here
Sweet..... 6.2 on motor is very fast.... no spray and ran 6.2??? that's haulin the mail. I just ran a 6.055 the other day on a pass where we had some timing issues with the unit on my car.... Should have gone 5.8x on a clean pass..... tell him to log on and make it known to the masses....

Sweet... Yes GTO's and Vettes are OF COURSE welcome.... We want anything powered with an LS/LT engine for a heads up shootout.....

Bracket racing ladies and gentleman is unfortunately a necessary evil. It brings out the cars and not everyone has a car that is setup for heads up drag racing. I'm going to be posting some general rules today sometime once i work them over..... PLEEEEASE do not start whacking on the rules. They are just a general "lets throw this out" so people can see "where does my car fit" and see if they want to be a part of this. I want the rules out first before I start calling the track and arranging dates.

I will cancel the bracket racing IF AND ONLY IF there is a resounding request from Everybody that they don't want to drag race..... OR as an option we can run an index class instead of brackets.... Like have a 10.0 index, an 11.0 index, and a 12.0 index class. Kinda like bracket racing but with a performance target in mind..... So the guy with a 14.2 car that is consistent as **** isn't beating up on mid 12 second cars.....

Everything else is going to be CLASS based.

Street Stock-Made up of your mild daily driven bolt on cars. Cold air intake, lids, mufflers, cat back exhaust, gears..... Typical of your mild buildup of cars that you see on the road EVERYDAY......

Street-Modified-NA...This will be for cars more modified than street stock. Heads/cam setups, headers, computer programming, Drag radials, etc..... Typical of cars that are pretty scary on the streets in your neighborhood. The cars that show up at the streetraces late at night and know how to get down... naturally aspirated....

Street-Modified-Power Adder-Same as above but limited to a SINGLE power adder. One turbo, one stage of nitrous, or one blower.....

Top Street NA-King of the Hill Naturally Aspirated class.... anything goes as long as it's all motor..... stock suspension, slicks, any OEM trans.... This class is for the cars with LS/LT engines that show up at the races that nobody wants to race..... showing what an all motor late model F-body/Vette/GTO's can do on nothing but cubic inches....

Top Street Outlaw-The top class.... Anything goes class.... Stock suspension, multiple power adder, any OEM trans... No tube cars or backhalf cars. Showing off the latest in LS/LT technology. Wheelstanding camaro's, big end charge turbo vettes, sleeper twin turbo GTO's... This class will determine who gets it done on the left coast.....

These are again basic classes... I will be posting the rules of each class and people can start posting their observations. Let's keep it creative and make it a big "thinking" session instead of a "bitching session"......
Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Restricted User

So far it seem as if Norcal has a good shot at having the fastest LS based motor on the west coast! Time to bring this title home!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 PM

I emailed this page to the guy and he said he has a tech account. So I'm sure he will chime in pretty quick
Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

well i wont have the fastest but i will def be there to rep NOR-CAL

Im down!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 AM
9 Second Club

Default Red 02 WS6

I'm the owner of the Red WS6. I would love to participate in a So Cal/Nor Cal shootout. I'm still shaking the car down & need to go on a diet but always up to represent. What are the details?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I'm upset. (yeah, big deal)

I've been trying to revive the NorCal vs SoCal meets since the last one in 2002. I was at the first one in '99, then we skipped a year in 2000, and then I was the one who got it going for 2001, hosted and promoted it. The website I created was here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200210300...ies.org/event/
Chris and the NorCal gang put it on for 2002, and then we couldnt get funding for 2003 and it faded away.

I tried to get something going in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-members/960558-efi-drag-racing-stroker396.html

Still, funding is an issue.

I tried to get us something at Famoso on Nov 8th, but that event is for imports only, they will not let us attend. Perhaps next year we can do an import vs domestic event. I've been on the honda-tech.com website talking with those guys. They are very interested, but not this year.

There are barely 75 cars going to the test'n'tune at Famoso at the end of November. If you want to get enough cars, you cannot limit it to just 4th gens. We thirdgenners are f-bodies too, even if we get treated like red-headed stepchildren. I propose that if we're going to do another NorCal vs SoCal event, that we either make it for any domestic with an EFI engine, or any GM vehicle with an EFI engine. If we make it any domestic, I have several customers at Manley who would be interested. Plus there are enough classes out there for carb cars, we need more support for EFI.

Lastly, I disagree with grouping the classes by mods. Everyone's car is different and responds to mods differently, especially with different engines. Plus there is more room to cheat. If you group it by ET index, then it doesnt matter what mods you have, everyone in your class is right around the same ET and you can still race heads up. And I believe you should still have a bracket racing class for those who dont want to run heads up.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Teching In

depending on how far from vegas we could prob get some cars to roll out
Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, I'm upset. (yeah, big deal)

I've been trying to revive the NorCal vs SoCal meets since the last one in 2002. I was at the first one in '99, then we skipped a year in 2000, and then I was the one who got it going for 2001, hosted and promoted it. The website I created was here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200210300...ies.org/event/
Chris and the NorCal gang put it on for 2002, and then we couldnt get funding for 2003 and it faded away.

I tried to get something going in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960558

Still, funding is an issue.

I tried to get us something at Famoso on Nov 8th, but that event is for imports only, they will not let us attend. Perhaps next year we can do an import vs domestic event. I've been on the honda-tech.com website talking with those guys. They are very interested, but not this year.

There are barely 75 cars going to the test'n'tune at Famoso at the end of November. If you want to get enough cars, you cannot limit it to just 4th gens. We thirdgenners are f-bodies too, even if we get treated like red-headed stepchildren. I propose that if we're going to do another NorCal vs SoCal event, that we either make it for any domestic with an EFI engine, or any GM vehicle with an EFI engine. If we make it any domestic, I have several customers at Manley who would be interested. Plus there are enough classes out there for carb cars, we need more support for EFI.

Lastly, I disagree with grouping the classes by mods. Everyone's car is different and responds to mods differently, especially with different engines. Plus there is more room to cheat. If you group it by ET index, then it doesnt matter what mods you have, everyone in your class is right around the same ET and you can still race heads up. And I believe you should still have a bracket racing class for those who dont want to run heads up.
I completely agree.. I didn't even realize you had this thing going again after 1999.... good deal... I think I remember you as well. Did you have a white GTA???? That ran like low 10's back then????? If not oh well but I swore I remember your screen name... not wanting to tread on any toes, but I would LOVE to have you as a coordinator for something like this.... I am not against an all GM EFI shootout welcoming everybody with a late model GM EFI engine..... However we do need to get very specific about what is and is not late model and EFI... MY buddy has a 63 Nova with a F3R Procharged BBC on alchohol.... it's fuel injected and runs mid 7's.... but we don't want HIM coming down and fitting into the rules and wrecking shop on late model street cars..... what i am envisioning is the fastest late model GM cars (3rd gens included I do apoligize) up and down the west coast battling it out for who's got the baddest late model GM car in the west..... I don't mind doing an index field either but what about an OUTLAW class that is all heads up with no rules regarding ET and breakouts.... if we are going to have a bracket class to convince guys that don't want to race heads up to show then we need to have a top dog class to entice the heavy hitters with monsters in the garage to show up and represent as well....

So PLEASE keep in mind although I have done this before along with my friend Chris Chow I'm just another racer that wants to have a good california event.... Along with Arizona/Vegas/Washington etc..... And I'm completely open to suggestions....

So do you think we should have a 12.0 index, 11.0 index, 10.0 index, bracket and an OUTLAW class for anybody faster than 10.0????? or would ppl rather do it on a .5 breakup. Like 12.5, 11.5, 10.5 and then OUTLAW???? as well as brackets....

opinions, ideas????
Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
9 Second Club

Default Shootout

I think indexing is okay and a great way to get some people out.

However, I read over the LTX Shootout page and its class rules (Thanks Outlaw for the link). I think those are a good benchmark. I like the idea of an all out run what you brung, no backhalf bullshit cars class, Drag Radials or Slicks okay. I like a Naturally Aspirated Class and a Single Power Added Class. I think its important to look at weight breaks and penalties as well for each of these classes. Then throw in a couple of bracket classes. I have love for them because thats I how cut my teeth when I was 16 years old. Then maybe you have a 10.00, 11.00, and 12.00 index class as well which still promotes heads up racing.

I believe its important to have something for everyone without devaluing the event. No one wants to come out and watch a bunch of cars bracket race and on the flip side you want to have a bracket/index classes for the guys who don't have 8, 9, or 10 second cars that run all out.

Thats my $0.02 and I think the more brainstorming the better. Outlaw, maybe we should form like a Board of Directors, 2-3 guys reping Nor Cal and 2-3 from So Cal to decide on final classes and rules...

Thoughts????
Old 10-28-2008, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

(I think I remember you as well. Did you have a white GTA???? That ran like low 10's back then????? )

Not to high jack the tread but that was me in the GTA, i remember racing Chris in the finals he turned up the boost, and i turned on the nos for the finals, he left a little to early , and turned on the red light handing me the win, and he would have beat me anyway because for some reason i blew a fuse for the nos and went down the track with a ton of extra fuel thru the motor, it would have been a great race if it did not end like that.
Todd
Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Todd! Glad to see you're still around. Is Derek and Wendy Real still around too?

Outlaw, my car is the same as my avatar, a red with white stripes 91 Camaro Z28. I've owned it since '99, and I was in the bracket class running 15 flat back then (ugh!).

I'd be more than happy to help organize the event from my end in SoCal. Once we get a date finalized and flyers made up I can put them in the boxes for my customers at Manley.
I remember Chris Chow, dunno if he remembers me. He's a lot more famous in the racing circuit than I am.
If you're talking about having an all-out Outlaw class, wouldnt your friend in the Nova qualify for that? Or what year are you considering the cut-off for late-model? Thirdgens started in 1982, that might be a good year.

The ET breakdown for the index classes might have to be floating. We might get 8 people running around 12.0 but only 3 at 11.0 and 10 at 11.5 seconds. Know what I mean? My own car ran 12.80 5 years ago but I have no new ET's to go with my latest dyno numbers. I'm expecting a 12.50 or better, but I wont be fast enough for a 12.0 class.

What date are we thinking about? March might be the best, since the LA Invasion is in May, but March is the March Meet at Famoso and they only care about that. Perhaps late March?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:53 PM
9 Second Club

Not to high jack the tread but that was me in the GTA, i remember racing Chris in the finals he turned up the boost, and i turned on the nos for the finals, he left a little to early , and turned on the red light handing me the win, and he would have beat me anyway because for some reason i blew a fuse for the nos and went down the track with a ton of extra fuel thru the motor, it would have been a great race if it did not end like that.
Todd
I actually remember both of you guys..... We're going back to the Terry Burger days boys... .... The white GTA was SICK..... I was running like high 11's I think back then.... I bout lost it in the elims when my car hit something slick on the track and I almost hit the wall and was damn near whipping donuts in my car the whole way down the track... I had a medium quasar blue metallic Z28.... still have it... this one...

Well what I think we should have and what my thought are on the subject is like you said kind of what they do in Englishtown for the GMHTP shootout.... maybe we can benchmark off their rules... I don't want this turning into the "3rd gen Pro Street EFI blown BBC race" vs "4th gen tube chassis twin turbo EFI smallblock with three stages of nitrous" race in Outlaw.... I want a shootout where late model EFI cars can come out and show off engines that in fact ARE OEM hardware or based off OEM hardware (A LA LSX block)....

I think tube chassis cars and or backhalf cars are DEFINITELY OUT..... Stock suspension cars only.... W tires only allowed in OUTLAW class..... 29.5" maximum tire height...... that just about kills anything absolutely hideous from showing up.... makes it a good level playing field for cars from mid to high 8's to low to mid 9's...... good heads up drag racing and run whatcha brung as long as it conforms to the rules....

I'm thinking March would be fine... It would bring out ppl after winter mods... still great weather for racing and it gives us plenty of time between now and then.....

I think a Panel of 3-4 ppl from the North and 3-4 ppl from the south would be a GREAT IDEA!

Socal-Kevin91Z, ericg69SS?, someone else PM'd me gotta look up who it was again...

Norcal-Me (OutlawZ), 1FastGM (christian)???, I'll give Chow a call as well.... maybe he can be the 3rd.....
Old 10-29-2008, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Kevin91Z;10380066]Hey Todd! Glad to see you're still around. Is Derek and Wendy Real still around too?

Kevin- Sorry sold the 3rd gen, really wish i didnt, anyways las vegas is where the Reals reside now, and oh ya there are 4 of them now, they have a little boy and girl, maybe i will se you at the track ,
Todd
Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

[QUOTE=OutlawZ;10381202]I actually remember both of you guys..... We're going back to the Terry Burger days boys... ....

Terry Burger... Wow, haven't heard that name in a long time. How is he doing and what's he up to? Last time I saw him was probably 4-5 years ago at Irwindale Dragstrip. Now I feel old... Time for a !!!

Outlaw, I'm cool to be part of the So Cal contingent. My first request is that back to back weekends in March I'm gone. March 19-22 I am in Cabo San Lucas for an annual guys trip and March 27-29 I'm out of town for a food show. So both of those weekends suck for me. Not that the event shouldn't go on but I would be bummed...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

im in.............
Old 10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
I actually remember both of you guys..... We're going back to the Terry Burger days boys... .... The white GTA was SICK..... I was running like high 11's I think back then.... I bout lost it in the elims when my car hit something slick on the track and I almost hit the wall and was damn near whipping donuts in my car the whole way down the track... I had a medium quasar blue metallic Z28.... still have it... this one...

Well what I think we should have and what my thought are on the subject is like you said kind of what they do in Englishtown for the GMHTP shootout.... maybe we can benchmark off their rules... I don't want this turning into the "3rd gen Pro Street EFI blown BBC race" vs "4th gen tube chassis twin turbo EFI smallblock with three stages of nitrous" race in Outlaw.... I want a shootout where late model EFI cars can come out and show off engines that in fact ARE OEM hardware or based off OEM hardware (A LA LSX block)....

I think tube chassis cars and or backhalf cars are DEFINITELY OUT..... Stock suspension cars only.... W tires only allowed in OUTLAW class..... 29.5" maximum tire height...... that just about kills anything absolutely hideous from showing up.... makes it a good level playing field for cars from mid to high 8's to low to mid 9's...... good heads up drag racing and run whatcha brung as long as it conforms to the rules....

I'm thinking March would be fine... It would bring out ppl after winter mods... still great weather for racing and it gives us plenty of time between now and then.....

I think a Panel of 3-4 ppl from the North and 3-4 ppl from the south would be a GREAT IDEA!

Socal-Kevin91Z, ericg69SS?, someone else PM'd me gotta look up who it was again...

Norcal-Me (OutlawZ), 1FastGM (christian)???, I'll give Chow a call as well.... maybe he can be the 3rd.....
Outlaw,,

I would be done to help out get this thing going... I am boy's with Christian and I know that my 438 with a little 200 shot would be up there with you 2 LOL J/K bro... On a serious note I would help if you need it just let me know bro.

Quick Reply: Who would be interested in a West Coast LS/LT shootout?