Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Who would be interested in a West Coast LS/LT shootout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arizona is definitely invited to attend as is Vegas......

Here is what I'm getting for the governing body so far....

TEAM SOCAL

STROKER396
ERICG69SS
KEVIN91Z
JUICED
FAST01Z28

TEAM NORCAL

OUTLAWZ
1FSTGM
Avengeance
ninetres

LOCAL point of contact in bakersfield....
99SOCALFRC

This is what i'm thinking so far... If anyone knows particular Arizona ppl and Vegas guys give me someone responsible that can drum up alot of interest in their particular area and we will add them to the board of directors so to speak...

First the above people i am going to send a mass PM inviting them to be a part of this shootout..... after the responses come back from ppl wanting to do it we'll start developing hardcore dates and classes/indexes/brackets....

Last edited by OutlawZ; 11-03-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

I'm definatley in for so cal. One car for sure, maybe one more if I can get all the saftey equipment on in time.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 PM
9 Second Club

great. we're establishing the board as we speak and i'll be trying to draft up some rules and classes...
Old 11-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Oh my Lord, this will be awesome!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
DAMN the new guy is calling you slow LOL J/K. Well semi new guy that signed up in 2007 and only has 2 post. WOW least we can say he don't come on here but once a year
That's my father.

Posts only count in the tech forums, not in the Lounge or the Regional forums. That's why he only has two posts.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dan
I was part of that shootout, it was fun..
Hey Dan, that's a blast from the past! That's my red camaro next to yours, and my dad's previous white camaro next to mine.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
HOWEVER, Brackets let everybody play. I do however want to have indexed headsup classes besides the outlaw class which is run whatcha brung and hope you brung enough (with rules however like no backhalf, no tube chassis, etc)..... I think everything else should be indexed. 10.50, 11.50, 12.50.....

Or we can do class based stuff. Like street stock, bolt ons, naturally aspirated, single power adder, and outlaw..... we can also have a 6 speed class if there is enough interest in who's the fastest gear rower on the left coast.....
Originally Posted by ericg69ss
Looking forward to this and can't wait to participate!!! Like I said before a combination of classes would be great. I also think no matter what the classes are no backhalf cars and none of this delay box, throttle stop ****!!!

I think one Outlaw class would be great and a couple of other classes like N/A, Single Power Adder, etc... I think 3 heads up index classes make sense, 10.0, 11.0, and 12.0. Then we could have 1, maybe 2 Bracket Racing classes for cars that run between 11.50 and 13.99 and 14.00 and up. I think this breaks it up nicely as you will have 3-4 specific heads up classes, 3 heads up index classes, and 1-2 bracket classes.

Outlaw, et al... Thoughts???
The biggest problem with mod-based classes is everyone has different engines and different mods. Are you going to run a "stock" new ZR1 Corvette against a "stock" LS1 Camaro? Are you going to run a cam and heads LS2 GTO against a cam and heads Turbo Buick with who knows how much boost? The index classes make the most sense, because then it doesnt matter how many or what kind of mods you have, you will be racing against people running a similar ET as you.
And definitely outlaw throttle-stops, delay boxes, etc in all classes. I hate that crap. Run your car all-out, like the TV show says!
Also, it might be more confusing at race time, but maybe we should hold off on the classes until we know what everyone runs. We might get only 3 cars for a 10.50 class but we have 10 cars running around 10.80. Know what I mean?
Lastly, I'd like to do qualifing like the pros do it, top 16 cars in each class. Although I'm not sure if #1 racing #16 would be fair. Perhaps #1 races #9, and #2 races #10, etc.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

I do hear you on that regarding classes and mods.... thinking about it further and since I was basing it off the LTx shootout (where apples were apples when it came to mods) I did have a kind of rose color glasses about that....

Very true that we can't have bolt on LS2's and LS7's running against bolt on LT1's...... definitely hear you on that...

speaking of that are we going to allow turbo buicks???? I was thinking no at first but I guess it is up to debate about the turbo buick cars.... Okay tho I definitely do see your point about the indexed heads up classes... we'll setup loose rules and then put the indexes in place. Not sure if I want to change the indexes though depending on how many ppl sign up... we will know how many we have in each index through pre registration so if all the index classes are full then we shouldn't have to adjust them on race day....

Hopefully if interest is huge we won't have to adjust any classes or indexes. We'll get the amount of cars to fill the index classes and just handle our business....

Definitely throttle stops and delay boxes are OUTLAWED. Even in the outlaw class. this isn't a sandbagger race. I expect everyone is going to come out with all they have. Definitely my vision to have a great heads up event showing off the best late model GM's that the west has to offer...

As far as qualifying well that's a double edge sword. Typically NHRA ladders qualify 16 cars and 1 races 16 and so on.... While you might not think it's fair, it's the sole REASON to be a top qualifier. You are being rewarded for being the top qualifier and punished for being the last qualifier.... don't be on the bump spot and you won't need to worry about it... My hope is that we can fill a 16 car Outlaw field first and then we can figure out the particulars....

So first off is this going to remain GM late model???? I'm thinking we limit it to F-bodies (3rd gen and up with OEM late model engines), Vettes, GTO's, and hybrids with swaps of these motors.... Motors allowed would be L98 TPI motors, LT1's, LS1, LS2, LS7, LQ9.... anything else that i'm forgetting...
Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Why not invite the turbo buicks? They're late-model GM EFI cars too! Plus they run some really quick times and would help fill out the outlaw class. Doesnt Chris Chow still have his?

The only problem I have with #1 racing #16 is that #1 could be running 10.50 and #16 could be running 10.90. But anything can happen when you're racing and the underdog could win.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
Why not invite the turbo buicks? They're late-model GM EFI cars too! Plus they run some really quick times and would help fill out the outlaw class. Doesnt Chris Chow still have his?

The only problem I have with #1 racing #16 is that #1 could be running 10.50 and #16 could be running 10.90. But anything can happen when you're racing and the underdog could win.
Thats parts of index racing. Get a good tree time and you can win as an underdog
Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Don't see a problem with them running in the index classes but how are we going to police the rules we come up with in the outlaw class when it comes to buicks? I don't know a whole lot about them to be able to figure out what and what does not amount to cheating based on our rules.... Chow's car is a twin turbo smallblock chevy generating close to 1800hp.... I was aiming this more towards guys using OEM style equipment.... cause if we don't how do we keep the straight up drag cars with fuel injected twin turbo dart blocks with crazy budgets and race teams???? someone can say "this is a late model setup cause it's fuel injected" I say we allow the buicks in if they are using the OEM 3.8 SFI block. Just like everyone else. Allow ANY mods done to a motor based on OEM equipment. LS1, LS7, LS2, LT1, L98, 3.8SFI, etc...... that way we have a way to disallow someone showing up with a 600+ ci fuel injected big block on 4 units claiming it is late model cuz it's in a late model chassis..... hell Dave Bowman could show up and mop everyone up on a 275 radial I'm pretty sure this is how the GMHTP shootout is..... I"m trying to find rules to that event and base our stuff on it....

BTW, Chris Chow rolled his car about a month and a half ago at WCHRA at sacto.... pretty much completely totalled the car however he walked away unscathed. I saw him October 18th when he was helping shoot some video on my car....

The only problem I have with #1 racing #16 is that #1 could be running 10.50 and #16 could be running 10.90. But anything can happen when you're racing and the underdog could win
exactly.... if you qualify 16th you put yourself in the underdog position... ain't nobody's fault but the person who qualified last.... person who qualified first has to be rewarded. hence the NHRA ladder.... it technically is the fairest way.... might not seem that way if you're 16th but oh well that's racin..
Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

i say we put everyone into classes (that can get complicated) and then randomly pair up the cars within the class. why do qualifying? but i would also like to see test n tune, since some of us will get knocked out early, but would like some more track time to improve on our numbers.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
That's my father.

Posts only count in the tech forums, not in the Lounge or the Regional forums. That's why he only has two posts.
It's cool bro I was just messing around
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Teching In

are fords going to be allowed in this?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

I didn't plan on it....... meaning fords....

they have another 10 events they can go to...

Fun Ford Weekend, Knotts Berry farm deal..... they ahve all kinds of stuff for JUST mustangs.....

i want to keep this late model GM and GM only....
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say allow the Fords and imports with LS engines in.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Juiced
i say allow the Fords and imports with LS engines in.
i agree i say allow fords..but not hondas..come on fords are still a v8....
Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by InfamousRacingCisko
i agree i say allow fords..but not hondas..come on fords are still a v8....
Just fords and imports with ls Swaps, there are a few 240 and RX7 guys that would prob like to run. but screw the 5.0 and mod motor guys, like jasson said. they have a lot of their own events to attend already.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill be there to represent norcal. anybody with stock cubes come get some!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juiced
Just fords and imports with ls Swaps, there are a few 240 and RX7 guys that would prob like to run. but screw the 5.0 and mod motor guys, like jasson said. they have a lot of their own events to attend already.
I disagree. I believe this should be a GM only event. Honestly, the Mustang's with LS motors are weak IMHO. Its a lighter car to begin with and defeats the purpose of showcasing late model EFI GM cars. I'd be more willing to let some of the Turbo Buick's join in as long as they are not backhalved, etc...

Quick Reply: Who would be interested in a West Coast LS/LT shootout?