Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Educating myself on Buying a First Home

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educating myself on Buying a First Home

OK guys,

Is there anyone here who is in real state or is a mortgage broker ?

Im trying to buy my first house and I met up with a local broker but the person didnt seem convincing to me. It just seems like they were not trying to help me out.

There is alot of terminology and things that I never heard of before, its not like a car loan where its clear cut, so I need help. I dont know whats up with the government loans and if they are better than conventionals, etc.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Launching!

+1 - There's a bank owned home I'm looking at right now in the low 200's - for what I'm renting for now I might be able to own for but I haven't a clue!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:08 AM
TECH Veteran

www.redfin.com

you can check up on houses in your areas you want.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

hit up your local library or bookstore, knowledge is power!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

SS,

Well although I'm in the Army I have been selling Real-Estate for the last 10 years as an Agent/Broker if you or WS6 have any questions I would be glad to assist you call me after 6:00 PM Mountain time and I will try to answers your questions, and yes I deal with forclosures as well so if you have questions about them I can answer them as well.

Jim
(505)652-0081
Old 06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS DNA
OK guys,

Is there anyone here who is in real state or is a mortgage broker ?

Im trying to buy my first house and I met up with a local broker but the person didnt seem convincing to me. It just seems like they were not trying to help me out.

There is alot of terminology and things that I never heard of before, its not like a car loan where its clear cut, so I need help. I dont know whats up with the government loans and if they are better than conventionals, etc.

Any help is appreciated!
buying a house is a pain in the ***... im trying to buy my 1st home also... trying for maybe 4-5 months now! i made an offer for maybe 6 houses and got turned down on 5 still have one open!!
anways at 1st i really didn't know what they were talking about but after a while with dealing with them you get used to it, im approved for a loan with FHA meaning i have to put down 3.5% for the down payment, FHA loans are the ones used more... they help the buyer out a lot won't loan on a house that isn't worth it... if you can try to stay away from short sell houses, they might have great prices on them but they take a while to close! what other terminology's were they saying that you ddin't get? i'll try to help you out the best i can...
Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
+1 - There's a bank owned home I'm looking at right now in the low 200's - for what I'm renting for now I might be able to own for but I haven't a clue!
1st off you might want to get approved for a loan... i like said FHA loans are great loans and they ask for only 3.5% of down payment... houses are selling fast!!!!! and there isn't that many houses that are nice looking anymore but there will be more in a month or so, if you want call up my realtor he can help you out, hes my wife's cuz so hes family to us he won't **** us over
pm me for his number
Old 06-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned Village Idiot

ps... 1st time home buyers get $8000 if houses close i think before Dec 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep that in mind
Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 authorizes a tax credit of up to $8,000 for qualified first-time home buyers purchasing a principal residence on or after January 1, 2009 and before December 1, 2009.

Remember that in today's market sellers can and are contributing up to 6% of recurring and non-recurring closing cost, which is permitted by HUD (FHA). Don't get suckered in paying high closing cost to buy your home.

Essentially, one can buy a home for only 3.5% of the sales price + the cost of an appraisal and no further cost. For first-time home buyers receiving a tax refund, buying a property is eventually free.

BTW: I do this for a living and own and run both a Real Estate and Mortgage Company.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
ps... 1st time home buyers get $8000 if houses close i think before Dec 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep that in mind
Yea thats one thing I did understand
She actually gave me a little flyer where it talks about that.

Ok so let me tell you a little about my experience. I have 20K for down payment, I have a 777 credit score, I have a debt of like $3500, but thats it, I even have money to pay off that loan so I would basically bec debt free if the bank said I need to pay off that debt to get approved. I been hearing that you only need like between 5-10% down. When I went to see the broker, she did some quick paperwork based on my info, just to get an idea, we did not apply yet. I am looking for a loan of 250K. She said I need 45k! to get approved for that much. She even try to set me up on an extra loan of 20K from the City where I live in, I guess its a loan at 3% interested and according to her you dont have set payments, you can pay it off as fast as you want or you can pay it off later.

Now I dont think that sounds right but whatever. Im trying to find someone else and also learn about FHA loans. That broker told me FHA loans are garbage and that I should just go for a conventional loan. She said that with FHA I need to put down more money up front. All these things she was doing made me a little unsure about her.

So im here to find some advice from you guys since we are all like brothers
I will look for someone else to talk to I just havent had the time or I dont know who to go to. I just dont want to get F'd over.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1BLKSS
u have to close escrow by nov 30th to get the 8k bucks...i too am looking to get a house in maybe 3 months
Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned Village Idiot

Ok so let me tell you a little about my experience. I have 20K for down payment, I have a 777 credit score, I have a debt of like $3500, but thats it, I even have money to pay off that loan so I would basically bec debt free if the bank said I need to pay off that debt to get approved. I been hearing that you only need like between 5-10% down. When I went to see the broker, she did some quick paperwork based on my info, just to get an idea, we did not apply yet. I am looking for a loan of 250K. She said I need 45k! to get approved for that much. She even try to set me up on an extra loan of 20K from the City where I live in, I guess its a loan at 3% interested and according to her you dont have set payments, you can pay it off as fast as you want or you can pay it off later.

Now I dont think that sounds right but whatever. Im trying to find someone else and also learn about FHA loans. That broker told me FHA loans are garbage and that I should just go for a conventional loan. She said that with FHA I need to put down more money up front. All these things she was doing made me a little unsure about her.

I will look for someone else to talk to I just havent had the time or I dont know who to go to. I just dont want to get F'd over.
wow all of that doesn't sound right... i got approved for $350 with a debt of $2000 credit cards, and 2 cars under my name... sold one car and got bumped up to $380... FHA is only 3.5% down payment i don't know what she was talking about being more than convectional... convectional loan is 20% down
Originally Posted by 59 camaro
u have to close escrow by nov 30th to get the 8k bucks...i too am looking to get a house in maybe 3 months
its really hard man i would tell you to start now, everyone is also thinking about that 8k so they are gonna want to close at around nov also
Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bottom line....you need to walk away from that person. FHA loans are not garbage and the min. investment is in fact 3.5%. Not only that "gift of funds" are allowed too(incase you have a family member gifting some down payment money). Brokers who dog FHA or any HUD program are almost alway not HUD(FHA) approved. If you want pm me, and I'll let you know what you qualify for, debt and all.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Launching!

So how would you work this if you had no or very little income "on paper"? I have the means to make payments on the loan just can't exactly prove it lol

How many advantages are there to buying a home as a first time buyer?

Basically my situation is, I'm renting at $1,200 a month right now and would I be right in assuming a payment for a $200k house wouldn't be much higher?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned Village Idiot

So how would you work this if you had no or very little income "on paper"? I have the means to make payments on the loan just can't exactly prove it lol

Basically my situation is, I'm renting at $1,200 a month right now and would I be right in assuming a payment for a $200k house wouldn't be much higher?
i don't know if you could get a loan like that, it has to be on paper... the FHA loans are crazy... they look at your credit look at what you are spending/ saving they really look out for you and them to see if not you can do the payments or not... they told me i can't deposit any cash above $500 cuz they would look at that and may not give me the loan thinking its "bad money" like im a drug dealer or something...

advantages its yours. hopfully they will go up soon and you'll be seeing $$$

where are you looking at that you saw a house for 200K? i lowest i seen was 260 and those ***** were nastyyy... around orange/anaheim they were fixer uppers had to fix everything
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run into this situation constantly, what it comes down to is "how much money do you really report?" Are you self employed? 1099? Which is it? The positive part of FHA is that you can use several non-occupied co-borrowers to help you qualify. However, the loan has to make sense and they can only help so much.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by travie319
Bottom line....you need to walk away from that person. FHA loans are not garbage and the min. investment is in fact 3.5%. Not only that "gift of funds" are allowed too(incase you have a family member gifting some down payment money). Brokers who dog FHA or any HUD program are almost alway not HUD(FHA) approved. If you want pm me, and I'll let you know what you qualify for, debt and all.
travie319,

Hopefully your offer for help is still standing. I been checking tech but I been very busy at work and also taking care of some other things and I havent had time to sit down and talk to you. BUT I will
Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

travie319,

Hopefully your offer for help is still standing. I been checking tech but I been very busy at work and also taking care of some other things and I havent had time to sit down and talk to you. BUT I will
pm me when you are ready
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by travie319
pm me when you are ready
Thank you !
Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Banned

the market is pretty crazy right now with bank owned homes, they are listed cheap but can go about 50k or higher over asking price, the bank puts a price by the amount of dept that needs to be paid for the home, so they are listed pretty cheap. to be honest the best way to get a home for a good deal now is to know somebody that is a agent for the bank.