Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Anyone have experience with Grand Prix GTP's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with Grand Prix GTP's?

I got a new project, 2002 Grand Prix GTP Coupe. I picked it up for free, and other than having 124k miles and a spun bearing, its perfect. Leather, HUD, all that ****. Since the motor obviously has to be pulled, has anyone seen an LS4 swap for these cars? I think a blown LS4 would make for a kick *** DD. If thats not possible I'm probably going to find a junk yard engine to drop in and sell it for about 5k. What do you guys think?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by primer84z
I got a new project, 2002 Grand Prix GTP Coupe. I picked it up for free, and other than having 124k miles and a spun bearing, its perfect. Leather, HUD, all that ****. Since the motor obviously has to be pulled, has anyone seen an LS4 swap for these cars? I think a blown LS4 would make for a kick *** DD. If thats not possible I'm probably going to find a junk yard engine to drop in and sell it for about 5k. What do you guys think?
Find an engine from a junkyard. I would keep it though, they are pretty cool cars.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop a forged motor in it and ditch the supercharger for a turbo. People have these things running 9 second quarter miles now days
Old 07-09-2009, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gtp are kickass cars! i miss mine now that i sold it. it had about 300 or so to the wheels. 02 probably wont bring 5gs unless it is really clean. now days cars arent selling to good. good luck with it an i would keep it as a dd
Old 07-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Now you have my attention

It's been done, but the 3.8 is a good motor.

Turbo 3.8 is lots of win in those cars.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 99 as my daily driver. I have not heard or read to much about swapping an LS4 into a GTP. I have seen LS1's swapped in before. The LS4 would be nice but there is not much aftermarket support for the engine. There is much more support for the 3.8. Check out morad parts. They are good when it comes to replacement parts for a w-body. They also have a store on ebay if you want to check there inventory.

Morad Parts Company
3455 W. 140th (service road)
Cleveland, Ohio 44111

Open M-F 9AM-6:30PM
p-216-671-3736
f-216-671-8406

email address: sales@MoradPartsCompany.com

Old 07-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Launching!

Yah I've got one as a daily too. It's a good car. Needs mods though lol. Seen the LS1 swap done before too. Search around on ClubGP.com and you should find it. If you build the 3800 well though, you'll be in good shape. Get a turbo kit, good intercooler, fuel, etc. You'll have a quick car. Only problem of course is the wrong wheel drive. That's why I'm only lightly modding my GTP and saving the money for the WS6.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by LustrousWS6
Yah I've got one as a daily too. It's a good car. Needs mods though lol. Seen the LS1 swap done before too. Search around on ClubGP.com and you should find it. If you build the 3800 well though, you'll be in good shape. Get a turbo kit, good intercooler, fuel, etc. You'll have a quick car. Only problem of course is the wrong wheel drive. That's why I'm only lightly modding my GTP and saving the money for the WS6.
Agreed. These cars would be much better if they were RWD..
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Viscious
Agreed. These cars would be much better if they were RWD..
Well the reality is their suspension in general is rubbish. There isn't a single aftermarket shock (since Koni stopped making one for the W-body) that'll last more than 10k miles on any lowered springs. Almost impossible to stop the *** from sagging (especially if you have more than 30ish lbs in your trunk at any given time). Good thing is is GM's performance handling package for the car is a mere $175ish and decent shocks for the car can be had for $225 for all 4 corners. Won't be anything like what we're used to with our Fbodies but hey, anything's an improvement over stock!

Oh and to the OP, get ready because GTP's are guaranteed to make the stock tranny go BOOM, even under bone stock power. Previous owner had already had this one rebuilt before 80k miles. Make sure you check around on the Grand Prix forums and send it off to a reputable company and get it done right the first time so you don't have to double pay for a rebuild.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM

Well the reality is their suspension in general is rubbish. There isn't a single aftermarket shock (since Koni stopped making one for the W-body) that'll last more than 10k miles on any lowered springs. Almost impossible to stop the *** from sagging (especially if you have more than 30ish lbs in your trunk at any given time). Good thing is is GM's performance handling package for the car is a mere $175ish and decent shocks for the car can be had for $225 for all 4 corners. Won't be anything like what we're used to with our Fbodies but hey, anything's an improvement over stock!

Oh and to the OP, get ready because GTP's are guaranteed to make the stock tranny go BOOM, even under bone stock power. Previous owner had already had this one rebuilt before 80k miles. Make sure you check around on the Grand Prix forums and send it off to a reputable company and get it done right the first time so you don't have to double pay for a rebuild.
Agreed again.

4t65's come apart quite frequently. They don't last when pushing 300hp.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the info, I'm looking into the different engine combos. I haven't decided if I just want to fix it and flip it, or make a fast car out of it. It looks like it will make a good DD, the interior is pretty nice.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. The GMPP koni lowering kit was by far one of the best lowering kits for the 97-03 model. I have them and love them. The struts are adjustable and the springs offer a nice subtle drop. KYB came out with a set of adjustable struts for the 97-03. The set can be had for just over $400. There are also various springs. Vogtland springs are the manufacturer of the GMPP lowering kit and they offer the same amount of drop. They are always on backorder but they look good.

The GMPP handling kit is also nice and improves the handling of the car greatly. Plus its affordable. Keep it and make it a daily driver. I would be curious to see the LS4 swap.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i used to have one of those
Old 07-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well beings I'm on the more aggressive side of that motor. Don't waste the 10-15gs your going to spend on dropping in a ls4 not worth it. Unless you switch it to rwd good luck finding a trans that can handle the v8 torque.

Your best bet is to call Ed Morad at Morad parts company they deal with our cars and they are the best junkyard for us EVERYONE loves them great company.

If you want to put real power down for not tooooo much money go with a stock 2004+ gp gtp bottom end. They are stout you won't make enough power to break one unless your going for deep 9s. You can however blow them the **** up with a **** tune. The pieces are stout for the hp if you have it tuned correctly.

The bottom end is called the l32 and then go turbo like myself. they have a budget turbo kit and with a st5 turbo cam just put down like high 400s if I remember to the wheels on pump and its with a baby turbo. Or you can go big like myself and many others and try to break the 500's quickly. Think the highest hp on pump and stock heads was 600. They will make good power. Take a look at zzperformance.com good stuff there.

As for your trans if your looking at over 300whp your going to have to build it. The person that built mine did a badass job everyone swears by him. His name is Dave @ tripleedgeperformance.com Hit him up if your serious.

Just like any car hobby expect to drop some dime on this if you really want to go fast and be reliable. Either way its cheaper then trying to drop in a ls4. Good luck and if you have questions hit me up.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with Grand Prix GTP's?