Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

NEWS: Early Camaro SS manual transmission failures reported, factory hold issued

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool NEWS: Early Camaro SS manual transmission failures reported, factory hold issued

Sporadic reports have begun popping up in the Camaro5 forums about issues with V8-powered SS models equipped with the manual transmission. It seems that doing a hard launch or using the launch control system occasionally results in a broken output shaft, a serious failure that will most likely leave the car immobile and in need of repair. We spoke with General Motors spokesman Adam Dennison about the problem and, as this is being written, a factory hold has been put on deliveries of manual transmission V8 Camaros while Chevrolet engineering teams investigate the problem.

Based on the reports, the transmission issues may not be related to the launch control system as the failures seem to happen whether or not launch control is engaged. The Camaro SS uses the Tremec 6060 six-speed gearbox – the same transmission fitted to the Dodge Viper, Mustang GT500, Corvette Z06 and other performance cars – so this is likely a manufacturing issue with a batch of gearboxes.

Dennison told Autoblog that an engineering meeting is being held this evening to identify the cause and establish a timing for the fix – and a recall seems likely. In the meantime, if you have a manual model Camaro SS, you might want to go easy on the launches for now – and if you have one ordered, you'll have to wait a bit longer. Thanks to Bailey and Derrick for the tips!
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/13/b...ures-reported/
Old 07-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no surprise, its the first year im sure next year wil be faster and all the bugs will be out. i would still buy one if i wasn't so poor lol
Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

never buy the first year of any car there are always bugs that need to be worked out, BUT if I could buy a new camaro I probably would!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

this is not a first year bug guys, this tranny has been used in soooo many cars already its not even funny, in fact it just the newest derivative of our t56 trannys. like the article said this is more than likely a bad batch of output shafts.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

They should use this to advertise the camaro, "So ******* badass it breaks ****, GET ONE TODAY!"
Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by masterz28
They should use this to advertise the camaro, "So ******* badass it breaks ****, GET ONE TODAY!"
lol more like " too much weight and good power makes **** break!!"
Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

damn sounds like it's going to be an expensive fix with parts + labor... i wonder if GM will have to shell out for that.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say they make Tremec pay for all the crap that has to be dealt with, they screwed up.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I say they make Tremec pay for all the crap that has to be dealt with, they screwed up.
Yep I'm sure they'll pass that cost along, problem is most dumb ***' will blame GM think'n they actually make the trans.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redracer1
Yep I'm sure they'll pass that cost along, problem is most dumb ***' will blame GM think'n they actually make the trans.
Wait what? GM doesn't make it? lol sorry had to throw some smart *** comment there.

I hope they don't eat it to keep the peace or something dumb.