Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

any ideas on how to get some mpgs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any ideas on how to get some mpgs

ok i am now daily driving a 94 formula a4 any ideas on how to get some mpgs out of this lt1 maybe a knn intake or elbow

i already
seafomed it
new fpr
new pcv valve
new fuel filter
mobil 1 oil change
i havent bought a air filter cause i am debating on a fram or knn i know knn flows more air but woudnt that cause my maf to give more fuel what do u guys think about this keeping the stock intake set up but just changing the elbow
Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

the worse an air filter flows, the harder the engine has to work to pull in air, so a knn would be a good choice, plus you can clean them so they last a long time.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spark plugs/radiator-coolant flush
Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

!lead foot
Tune possibly?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hlaalu
the worse an air filter flows, the harder the engine has to work to pull in air, so a knn would be a good choice, plus you can clean them so they last a long time.
ok so what about this keeping the stock intake set up with a new knn filter and a elbow since its after the maf it shoudnt waste more gas and it will flow alot better
Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the tornado F T W! LOL
also loose some weight... jack, spare tire... make sure u have high psi on the tires
k&N works. imo its saves more money not having to spend cash on replaceable filter then fuel economy usually will pay itself off by the 3rd or 4th air filter change. i see the fuel economy as a bonus.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by droptopT/A
ok so what about this keeping the stock intake set up with a new knn filter and a elbow since its after the maf it shoudnt waste more gas and it will flow alot better
i would imagine a smother elbow would flow a tiny bit better and help your engine a tiny bit. every bit adds up you should consider a handheld tuner maybe? most of them have settings for performance or gas mileage.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

change 02s, tune up,
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -98-Z28-Darkness-
the tornado F T W! LOL
also loose some weight... jack, spare tire... make sure u have high psi on the tires
k&N works. imo its saves more money not having to spend cash on replaceable filter then fuel economy usually will pay itself off by the 3rd or 4th air filter change. i see the fuel economy as a bonus.
i assume this is his daily driver so getting rid of the spare tire and jack might not be a good idea, but i agree on the rest.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

yeah dont get rid of the spare tire....i had a flat on my formula last friday on the frwy and i paid for it since the spare had no airhahaha i called aaa to tow me
Originally Posted by 180ls1
i assume this is his daily driver so getting rid of the spare tire and jack might not be a good idea, but i agree on the rest.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Teching In

How bout

-rear differental oil change
-tire pressure & wheel alignment
-change trans fluid (if it is an automatic) or GM/Penzoil/etc Sychromesh for manual
-suspension check making sure everything is greased up
-clean and repack wheel bearings

Just random ideas I'm not too positive on how much these tips can help.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the Cold Air Intake and an exhaust will definitely help you, as stated a tune up will help as well. also stick to better quality gas like Shell, Chevron and 76. and don't forget the neglected fluids (trans+diff). what are you getting right now? that might give everyone an idea if something is wrong
Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -98-Z28-Darkness-
the tornado F T W! LOL
lol . my car never came with a jack .. they probably tossed it.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Best way to get better MPG's out of a stock or near stock LT1/A4 is a T56 swap...
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

How you drive can make a big difference in mpg.

Think of the gas pedal as controlling your gas mileage, the lower it goes, the lower your mpg.

Try to accelerate as slow as possible and stay as light and steady on the gas as you can.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Best way to get better MPG's out of a stock or near stock LT1/A4 is a T56 swap...
+1
Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
the Cold Air Intake and an exhaust will definitely help you, as stated a tune up will help as well. also stick to better quality gas like Shell, Chevron and 76. and don't forget the neglected fluids (trans+diff). what are you getting right now? that might give everyone an idea if something is wrong
well i aways use chevron with techron lol i am getting a knn cai from a member on here pretty soon so thats going to help also what do u guys think of flowmaster mufflers the car came with one when i bought it i personally think that they sound great but dont flow that great should i swap it out with a magnaflow or a hooker muffler.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
oh believe me i would want to make it a 6 speed maybe one day if i get a t56 swap dirt cheap reallyreally cheap i will do it hahah but for now a4 willhave to do
Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by droptopT/A
well i aways use chevron with techron lol i am getting a knn cai from a member on here pretty soon so thats going to help also what do u guys think of flowmaster mufflers the car came with one when i bought it i personally think that they sound great but dont flow that great should i swap it out with a magnaflow or a hooker muffler.
Rip that crap off and put a magnaflow on it. Just get the muffler and have a shop swap the mufflers, you dont need all new piping but its not a bad idea. k&n is a good idea, sythetic trans and diff oil is a good idea if the car doesnt have high miles or it could cause leaks, make sure tires are in good shape and air pressure is even or you could even nitrogen fill them if you wanna get fancy.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon2kZ
How you drive can make a big difference in mpg.

Think of the gas pedal as controlling your gas mileage, the lower it goes, the lower your mpg.

Try to accelerate as slow as possible and stay as light and steady on the gas as you can.
I dont really agree with that. I think maybe going too slow will make you stay in a lower gear much longer to get up to speed, there for use more fuel. I believe medium/light throttle for the first 2 shifts then use the pedal as little as possible while in 3rd and overdrive thus leaving you in overdrive longer rather than 1st and 2nd. I had my best MPG results using this method when I had my A4 LT1 Camaro.

Def get a CAI and install some different gears if its that big of a deal to you. You should do a T56 Swap IMO you will save money in the long run. My 402 has managed more than 300 Miles/Tank when doing long freeway driving @ 70 mph and I have 3.73's...Just a thought

Quick Reply: any ideas on how to get some mpgs