Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

ls1 high beam problem / general steering column info needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ls1 high beam problem / general steering column info needed

On my 99 camaro, the high beams wont switch on. Im pretty sure the turn signal switch is busted. Are there any write ups for this? How hard are these to replace?

And i dont think they are related, but...
Im also having an issue that maybe every 5th time i start the car, it dies right off the bat or will start but all the gauges go full right, and sweep back slowly... then finally go to the correct places. This also resets the computer / codes.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
On my 99 camaro, the high beams wont switch on. Im pretty sure the turn signal switch is busted. Are there any write ups for this? How hard are these to replace?

And i dont think they are related, but...
Im also having an issue that maybe every 5th time i start the car, it dies right off the bat or will start but all the gauges go full right, and sweep back slowly... then finally go to the correct places. This also resets the computer / codes.

Any help is appreciated!
1) I think the actuating rods connected to your blinker/high beams arm are off, easy fix if that is the case.

2) You have grounding/short somewhere to your battery. That is what I would imagine is causeing your gauges to act screwy and your car to die.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Turn signal stalks are supposedly easy to replace, and if you find that you have to tear into the column I wrote a write-up for that. I don't know how to replace the turn signal stalks though.

As far as the startup issue, check your battery cables for corrosion. Remove them from the battery and if you can't see any corrosion, give them a good tap on something and see if chunks of anything fall out from the cover.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Banned

the guage thing is most likely a bad battery, only 99 cars do that when battery gets low. and i have the same problem with the high beams as well
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guy!

I know the battery is brand new... probably < 6 -8 months. But i have noticed the horn when it locks via remote is kinda 'dull'. Might be related to the grounding issue as well. Ill start pullin wire tonight and see what i can find.

SJR, any more info on how to fix it?

-Still looking for info on replacing the blinker switch. Hell, its 10/11 years old, i wouldnt mind buying a new one. lol
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Thanks for the help guy!

I know the battery is brand new... probably < 6 -8 months. But i have noticed the horn when it locks via remote is kinda 'dull'. Might be related to the grounding issue as well. Ill start pullin wire tonight and see what i can find.

SJR, any more info on how to fix it?

-Still looking for info on replacing the blinker switch. Hell, its 10/11 years old, i wouldnt mind buying a new one. lol
I can't really tell without looking at it. Does the blinker/high beams arm still click up and down and forward like it's supposed to?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It kinda clicks, but feels like its broken... the High beams dont even flicker. The turn signals work fine. On my last trip back from cali, i remember having to adjust the steering wheel position to get the high beams to work... guess it finally broke.

Im just not sure how to get in to it, Its got the column and that plastic piece covering it.

Last edited by xxrillixx; 02-12-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It may be as easy as removing that plastic cover (squeeze top and bottom and slide it outward and/or toward the gauge cluster), pushing the stalk around until you find a screw, and unscrewing, then unplugging the electrical... If not, this is how you tear apart the column. I didn't go as far as replacing the multi-control lever thing: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-controls.html.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Figured it out... Its a PITA. Hope no one ever has to do it. lol

How to get your high beams to work when they no long 'click' on...

1. The first main cover pulls off towards the cluster (like stated above).

2.The actual lever can be pulled out at any time and now needs to be unplugged.

3.Then unsnap the clear connector from the next cover using a small screwdriver.

4. From the bottom of the column start prying the next cover. The bottom comes out first, then the top. Then it must be pulled past the piece that hold the lever. Pull it as far toward the rear as possible, this cover will barely make it past. Twist it up out of the way.

5. You now have access to the high beam bar (metal) and the actuator (black plastic). The lever runs down the drivers side and its a gold/copper color. To active the high beams, the bar is pushed by the actuator. The actuator moves when you pull the lever (when its all together) towards you.

6. Put the lever back in the hole (no need to plug it in) and pull it towards the rear of the vehicle to try and activate the high beams.... you will have to help it a little to keep it straight since the second cover is no longer on). Assist it if its not activating them by pushing it towards the firewall with your finger. If it only 'clicks' on and off when you assist it, you have the same problem i had.

7. Remove the lever.

8. Remove the plastic actuator piece. Pull the bar towards the front of the car, and the plasic piece should come out easy.

9. Using to pliers/vice grips, grab hold of the bar towards the bottom and bend the top towards the rear of the car. Its really a PITA to do this without it just moving... but you can get it.

10. Put the actuator piece back in. Put the inner cover back on. This is pretty tricky; you have to hold the piece the lever connects to forward like when it was removed, and you have to hold the actuator and bar together as they can come apart and you have to start over. You also have to be trying to get the inner cover on... the top goes in first, then the bottom.

11. Put the lever back in. See if it 'clicks' the high beams on and off. If not pull it back apart and try bending it more. Do this till it works with the inner cover on and in all angles of the tilt steering wheel.

12. Once it works correctly, connect the plastic connecter to the inner cover.

13. Run the cable for the lever through the square hole, and connect it.

14. Put the main cover on. YOUR DONE!

At this point debate if it wouldnt have just been easier to replace the whole column. lol.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: ls1 high beam problem / general steering column info needed