Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Caught red handed..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caught red handed..

Driving solo in the carpool lane last week. Got caught needless to say and got a ticket. I have a court date for November 10th, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of taking the day off of work.

Now I got pulled over after I had already exited the carpool lane..I told the CHP officer that I had gotten cut off and had to swerve into the carpool lane to avoid an accident, and was simply exiting the carpool lane when it was safe and legal to do so. Whether my story is true or not is not revelant lol.

I want to do a trial by written declaration to avoid having to go to court and taking off work. How does this work? What do I need to do to get the process started and how effective is this method? I don't expect to get out of the ticket, I just want to avoid court..but if I can get out of the ticket that would be nice too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the first thing you need to do is request an extension, this will have everything pushed back.. however just a heads up, CHP is one of the few agencies that will most likely always show up to court for tickets they write... remember that it is a state police force and a big part of how the state generates money is through tickets..
Old 10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

The whole point here is for me to not go to court AT ALL. Requesting a later date to go to court is still no good to me.

Unless...

How does night court work? Do I need to request it in advance somehow or can I just show up to night court before my due date?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya first get some extensions then tell the clerk you want to do a trial by written declaration, by the way I got three tickets last year I followed this same process and all of them got dismissed due to the officer not sending in his report. 2 were sherrifs 1 was chp all speeding so far this year no ticket
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MSS91Z28
The whole point here is for me to not go to court AT ALL. Requesting a later date to go to court is still no good to me.

Unless...

How does night court work? Do I need to request it in advance somehow or can I just show up to night court before my due date?
requesting a later date does a lot for you. the officer may be off the force by then, makes it easier for his records to be misplaced, and so on.. idk about night court, but ive beatin 3 tickets by extensions, and then showing up to plead not guilty. my officers didnt show up but they were lapd not chp. chps main job is traffic, lapd isnt
Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
Ya first get some extensions then tell the clerk you want to do a trial by written declaration, by the way I got three tickets last year I followed this same process and all of them got dismissed due to the officer not sending in his report. 2 were sherrifs 1 was chp all speeding so far this year no ticket
Do I need to actually go to the court to get the extensions? Is there a way to do it by phone or mail?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can try this?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...et-ticket.html
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00SSLS1
wow that helps alot..thanks

Anyone else with any input please chime in!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

la county right? wait till the tickets in the system then search tickets by your drivers license on the lacounty superior court website then request extension.. so yes u can do it online
Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevyrunner
la county right? wait till the tickets in the system then search tickets by your drivers license on the lacounty superior court website then request extension.. so yes u can do it online
this actually happened in orange county.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

well the oc is a richer county than la, lol so hopefully theyre website should be just as good.. lol that said im pretty sure you can do it online.. but the ticket wont show up for a week or two
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're guilty and that's how you'll plead, then there's no reason for Trial (by declaration) and you will just pay the bail (fine) when you get your written summons in the mail and/or do the traffic school thing.

You can get extensions by calling (will be explained in your paperwork on procedure) and IIRC you can even do it online now. I believe you can get two total, or about 60 days.

Trial by Declaration is nice because the officer also needs to provide his 'side' of the story and/or evidence to counter yours. Similar to being in court, but done in writing, thru the mail. You will request TbD when you post your 'bail' and they will send you the necessary forms, etc. In the meantime, I think you can go to lasuperiorcourt.gov, or something like that to get more info. Remember in these times though, it's going to be difficult to fight compared to better times, 'cause the agencies are very hungry for revenue!

Not sure you have much of a chance here, but if you think you want to fight it, TbD is a good way to go (provided you have good written skills with the FACTS and any evidence to back it up (i.e. pics, whatever).
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

I got a ticket last year for the same thing + speeding +window tints + fix it ticket for tail light. Fought the ticket, had to get more than five continuances. Finally, the judge dropped all the other tickets in exchange for pleading guilty to the carpool violation, which was $476...
Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The OP should have told the CHP he was driving a high performance hybrid and the car gets better MPG when it's not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with the rest of the law abiding drivers.

Quick Reply: Caught red handed..