Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Got pulled over for tint and cop checked the engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
i have had the ticket three times and in three different cars, never paid $1500 dollars... i dont know where your getting that figure, but its definitely coming out of left field..
i have had ref tickets but have never paid for them, but it depending on exactly what the officer cites you for, ive have seen them low as 450 and high as 1500
either way i don't see any reason to pay more money to this state then necessary
Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fail to see how tinted windows is probable cause to search the engine bay.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gmantheman
Won't I have to pay the $1500 or however much it is either way?
No, if you put it back to stock, the fee is $108 or something close to that for a dB certification.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SM105K
Repeat after me...............

Sorry Officer, I do not consent you searching my car.
yep

they can pretty much say anything. you can get pulled over if the cop says it looked like one of your plate lights was out (had this happen and both plate lights were perfect/bright).
as for popping the hood, they could say your car sounded modified. i had a cop tell me he saw a "blue flame" coming out of one of my old cars (which was completely stock except for suspension).
pretty much whatever it is they say gave them a reason to suspect there was some sort of illegal modification is good enough to make you the bad guy if you don't pop the hood.

our emission laws are pretty tight. if i was the type of cop who liked to pull people over and pop the hood, i'm sure i could fabricate a reason to pull over a law abiding 75 year old lady in a new prius and make her pop the hood. i suppose i'd probably impound her car and arrest her for dui since she'd probably be on medications that say she shouldn't be driving too... gotta serve and protect the public.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Z-Convert
I'm glad I got out of LA when I had the chance...

No need for a front plate and no smog in most of the state of AZ. Even where they have a biannual smog inspection you only have to pass a plug in for codes if your OBDII. I "passed" smog just last month.
i still think it's BS you have to pay for the smog test out there. i remember having to do the roller test on my car, like i did in indiana as well but it was free up there. no emissions at all down here in FL
Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
yep

they can pretty much say anything. you can get pulled over if the cop says it looked like one of your plate lights was out (had this happen and both plate lights were perfect/bright).
as for popping the hood, they could say your car sounded modified. i had a cop tell me he saw a "blue flame" coming out of one of my old cars (which was completely stock except for suspension).
pretty much whatever it is they say gave them a reason to suspect there was some sort of illegal modification is good enough to make you the bad guy if you don't pop the hood.

our emission laws are pretty tight. if i was the type of cop who liked to pull people over and pop the hood, i'm sure i could fabricate a reason to pull over a law abiding 75 year old lady in a new prius and make her pop the hood. i suppose i'd probably impound her car and arrest her for dui since she'd probably be on medications that say she shouldn't be driving too... gotta serve and protect the public.
That is the cop way of doing things. Most then wonder why people hate them.

I won't consent to a search for anything. My constitutional rights will not be infringed because some ***** cop pulls some stupid **** and searches my car without my permission. I will document it, go to court, sue, go to the news, basically do anything in my power to protect my and fellow Americans rights.

This goes for any cop out there. Just because you have a badge, and a gun, doesn't mean you can tweek, change, or break the law.

FYI, I want to be a US Marshall and I am in college taking the proper steps to pursue this career.

Last edited by SM105K; 09-13-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

I got 4 tickets in Vegas in 2 years...all for speeding.. All got turned into parking violations and only paid 100 bucks.. Never got bothered for no front plates or my tint (windshield tinted ) , or never got bothered for my car being too loud.. I would always get caught by damn bike cops too :/ .... I loved Vegas because the tickets where so great.. Go to court once, plead not guilty, go the second time, a person comes up says this is a fire sale situation, pay 100 and we turn it into a parking violation.. No points , no driving school California on the other hand loves to **** you over!!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

What all do u have to do to get a car registered in cali im in nc and the smog strict on obd2 cars
Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
yep

A cop assuming he has the right to pop your hood is only doing so until you say "no" or question the reason.

Of course, they may still choose to do it (which doesn't make it right/legal), but at least you don't vacate your rights. In the event they do find something and it does goes to court, you still have a leg to stand on because you did not consent to a search.

In the original example, he was pulled over for tint. The cop didn't say the car sounded modified, he just said to pop the hood. The OP did, and now has to pay the price.

There is a good vid on the internet put out by a lawyer on how to handle a traffic stop and how to impede the search of your vehicle. It included getting out of your vehicle, locking the doors, and not consenting to any search. Great advice.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Sorry to hear that man.
Yeah cops can be ******** some times.
The worst part on that is that we pay them to be like that. All the ******* money the state steal from us paying tax and all that bs. They should threat us a little better!
Some cops are cool, I been pulled over few times for mo reason they don't even ask for License.
Some others I'm just parked and they come to me asking for Ls. **** that I'm not even driving.

It's funny you have your car, pay tax, registration, and all that crap and you can't do **** to it cuz it's ILLEGAL. It's my car I do what ever the hell I want.

They have idiots making the laws or they probably drive prius lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

For the hell of it I went to an online lawyer site and asked if I could have refused to open the hood since he stopped me for tint. I could have refused. Tint was not probable cause.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gmantheman
Not at all. I just sat their quietly while he checked my license and registration. He asked if I had any engine mods and I told him that I didn't put anything on. He asked me to pop the hood and then I knew it was down hill from there.
Bet if your hood was yellow, that wouldn't have happened...
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SM105K
That is the cop way of doing things. Most then wonder why people hate them.

I won't consent to a search for anything. My constitutional rights will not be infringed because some ***** cop pulls some stupid **** and searches my car without my permission. I will document it, go to court, sue, go to the news, basically do anything in my power to protect my and fellow Americans rights.
This goes for any cop out there. Just because you have a badge, and a gun, doesn't mean you can tweek, change, or break the law.

FYI, I want to be a US Marshall and I am in college taking the proper steps to pursue this career.
Well said!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Glad my car isn't registered in Cali, cops and the whole system are crooks looking to get money, what a scam!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZexGX
He doesn't need one. Cops can run whatever plates they want to for whatever reason they see fit. You got caught. Get over it. It could have been worse.
Yeah, he could pulled his gun out, shot and killed you, and had said he felt he had probable cause and was just doing his job.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know that there are good cops out there. But I also know that there are countless ones who are a@@holes who will take any opportunity to *** with someone. I had one pull me over because he "couldn't read my plate" (had working stock lighting mind you). I have since "fixed this" and haven't been messed with this since.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
why's that? I've been asked. If you are missing a front plate, have window tint on the rear hatch, they could have reason to believe you have tint on your side windows. Kind of like all they need to do is smell weed in a car and they have probably cause to search it..
Probable cause is for criminal charges, not traffic tickets. You can definitely refuse search of your property, whether under your hood or on your rolled down windows. If he saw you with the windows up thats one thing, but if you had them down before and during the time in which you were stopped, you can kindly decline a search.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BackInBlack02
It seems the f-bodies get harrassed a lot, is this the same for the vettes?
i like your avatar pic.

huh i have only been stopped twice both for speeding XD
Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

I think it's one of those damned If I do open the hood and damned if don't. I know someone local with stock manifold and cats. Also I will put a less aggressive cam maybe a 224/228 cam.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Brothers and Sisters to the West, keep fighting the good fight out there in Cali. Ya'll set the damn standard for laws everywhere else. We shot down red light cameras twice here in Houston, and though they have implemented smog testing inside the largely populated areas, they do not have it in most of Tx. I have my car and truck both registered out in the country at our ranch, so I can do damn near whatever I want as long as I have the basic safety items. The more you fight for your rights in that rip off state, the better off we are.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over for tint and cop checked the engine