Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Moving to California questions inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving to California questions inspection

Im military and moving there in the next few months. My WS6 is a 2002 stock only cat back. As long as safety and visual wont be problem. Is the emissions really strict where I have to worry about my stock ta. I have no lights and its operating fine.
Also how long is a inspection good for once done? One or two years? Or is it a depends on circumstances thing?
Im only going to be stationed for a year and half.

Ive read and did a search on here but for comfort food I just wanna hear from the horses mouth if anyone had issues with their 100% stock fbody.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no issue 100% stock.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

You should be alright. And the registration is due every year. As long as you dont get any "illegal modification" tickets you'll never have to get inspected. However, you will have to do a bi-annual smog check and depending on the mods (if you do any like headers), you might fail the visual inspection part. If yo keep her stock, you're golden!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Yeah I was about to sell it here in VA cause Im worried about driving it there and then I would to spend hundreds of dollars cause of strict standards.

Im still toying with the idea of selling cause I wanna get a C6. But its a good car and clean. I plan on, if I keep it, just doing suspension upgrades and maybe rims. Other than that I spend my money on my other car, the corvette.

Im doing all the tune up stuff now. Im about to do the driver side cat its giving issues sometimes. While thats removed Ill do plugs, wires, and 02 sensors.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

any stock car will pass smog...
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FC.. where will you be stationed ? If you only have a Cat Back system as a Mod.. you should be ok.

Let us Cal guys know when you get here.. If your move to the SF bay Area, I run a Friday Night GTG in Concord, CA.. 30 miles east of SF. But there are GTG all over the state and on different days.

BC
Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Teching In

If you do any mods look for a CARB number and those will be fine too. You can't do anything that moves the cats from the stock location so that means no long tube headers but you can get CARB rated shorties if you really like but it migt jus be worth waiting till you move away and get the long tubes then. Better power and less of a rats nest in the engin bay (my opinion at least). Otherwise you should be safe. Good luck in smog hell. It's a large part of why I moved out of CA to NM where there is no smog inspection at all.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Just save the money and wait to do the mods until you get stationed elsewhere lol.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

is there any reason that he couldnt keep his car registered elsewhere, isnt the military able to register in their "home" area
Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester1614
is there any reason that he couldnt keep his car registered elsewhere, isnt the military able to register in their "home" area
Not technically if he plans to drive it here and be here for awhile but he has time.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

If stock. No problem. If none stock. Make friends with a smog tech and offer up cash and avoid illegal modification tickets.

Quick Reply: Moving to California questions inspection