Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Someone hit my parked car

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone hit my parked car

Well a girl just slammed into my car. Luckly she couldn't take off because her front axle snapped. So far from what I can tell of my damage, rear quarter panel, rear bumper, underneath so far all I can see is a snapped rear aluminum trailing Arm I think. It sandwiched my car against the curb.
A question I have is, my car was in gear and her car managed to push mine up about a good 4-5 feet. Could that of messed something up transmission related? I haven't tried to drive it or anything. I have no clue how the insurance will work out, I only have liability. What happens if they choose to total out my car? I got alot of mods but the blue-book is less than 5k
Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes its possible something broke in the transmission, dealt with it on a few drop cars. Especially if it was an automatic. Liability or not her insurance company will pay out. As long as your car was parked properly in a proper parking spot legally. But then again your in califuckyaover so who knows.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Teching In

its a manual, I left it in second gear. I hope they don't decide to total out my car, i have no idea how much all the damage will cost. What happens if the insurance companies choose that? I never dealt with anything like this before
Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

If they total it buy it back and part it out. Unless your happy with what they give you. If your not happy you can challenge it I believe. I mean obviously your not going to get $20000 out of a $5000 car but if they offer you $2500 for it fight it. If they won't pay out sue them. or at least threaten to maybe talk to a lawyer when they deem it a total loss. What kind of car is it?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Teching In

98 z28, I'm just hoping I don't end up getting screwed. I'll post some pictures of the damage later
Old 05-11-2012, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Never threaten to sue an insurance company they hear that all the time and makes dealing with them more difficult... Instead listen to what they are offering you and state that it was you fathers car who passed away and you do not want a salvage title placed on the car.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry man. I had my 02 Avalanche parked along a street and some braud hit the psgr side. She damaged the bumper, 1/4 panel, part of the rear door, lower/upper control arm and busted my diff. My diff was leaking out all the fluids. I just told my insurance company what happened, just in case her insurance company wanted to be dicks.

I spoke directly to her insurance company and even got them to provide me with a comparable rental. Took them 3 wks and they repaired everything at my local body shop.

Just contact her insurance company, tell them you need a rental asap and be on top of them.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

the big question is if she has insurance or not? or if she's even legal.......
Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
the big question is if she has insurance or not? or if she's even legal.......
Hopefully OP has uninsured motorist/full coverage.
Do you know what insurance she has?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most insurance companies will want to avoid going to court if they know their policy holder is clearly at fault; especially if they know it'll be a lot cheaper to settle. IMO, I'd start looking up the price for everything you know will have to get replace and if possible get a estimate on the repair cost, the sooner the better, that way if it's totaled you can start pulling/swapping parts right away.
Hey, a similar thing recently happened to my son.
My son only had liability on his chevy cavalier and a drunk driver totaled it right in front of my house, luckily he had insurance, and several neighbors saw what happened. Anyway the police report clearly says that he (the drunk) was at fault so, just the other day my son got a check for $7600 from the drunks insurance company, and his car was only worth 5k at most!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bike totalled and they let me pull my penske suspenders and the custom needles out of my carbs...rather than pay me for them. Don't worry just yet.

Quick Reply: Someone hit my parked car