Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Military members... Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Military members... Question?

I have a guy looking to possibly purchase my car that's stationed at Pendleton. We've been talking back and forth and he's been researching the "smog" situation and says he heard he has to have some sort of certificate for the base.

Anybody know anything about this? Any way around it?

As you know, my car is nowhere near smog legal and is registered in AZ.

I know this is a sensitive subject on here but you guys know I've been a member forever so just PM me with any tips or suggestions please.

Thanks!

Last edited by Soul TKR; 05-23-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm from AZ, and the base never made a fuss about my stuff when I drove on base. I was AF though, not sure if the Marines do things differently.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes its true in order to get a base decal the car has to go through smog.... no matter what state it is registered in.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UsmcAlston
yes its true in order to get a base decal the car has to go through smog.... no matter what state it is registered in.
Would he have to take some sort of "additional" smog test for the base, or does the regular state one suffice?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

all that is necessary is the regular CA state smog.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Launching!

He does have to get the car smogged so he can bring it onto base even if it is out of state from what I rem.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UsmcAlston
I don't want to sound like a dick, but actually your wrong. It all depends on what state the vehicle is registered to. I could be stationed in Cali and have my car registered in Nevada and not have to show a proof of smog. As long as he registers the car out of state, he won't have to worry about it. You don't have to register your car in the same state you are stationed in while in the military. The only items he will need is his military ID, drivers license, registration and proof of insurance to be able to get his base tags.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Now if his car were registered in Cali then he would need the smog, because that is part of the registration process for that state
Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02SS#214
I don't want to sound like a dick, but actually your wrong. It all depends on what state the vehicle is registered to. I could be stationed in Cali and have my car registered in Nevada and not have to show a proof of smog. As long as he registers the car out of state, he won't have to worry about it. You don't have to register your car in the same state you are stationed in while in the military. The only items he will need is his military ID, drivers license, registration and proof of insurance to be able to get his base tags.
That is not correct. Maybe it varies from base to base or branch to branch, but for Navy bases ANY out of state registration needs smog. The state doesn't matter.

I have Colorado plates on mine. I took my car to Point Loma smog and told them I have long tubes etc, I just need a smog test for base passes only. They were cool and "bypassed" the visual inspection.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Really, I am in the Navy and have been for awhile unlike some.... and have been stationed in Wa, Nv, Ca, and Japan and have never once had to smog my vehicle. I have kept WA and NV plates on my cars. Smog only applies to the state you are registered to. If you have out of state plates and they are still asking for a smog cert, you need to call them out on it.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Alright, I researched it and it must be a base to base thing. I am attached to Naval Base Point Loma and here is their policy.

Regular access to the base requires vehicle registration into the Region Southwest vehicle database. Personnel will need to provide their driver's license, auto registration, proof of insurance, smog certification, and valid DoD identification card. Personnel permanently assigned to Naval Base Point Loma with vehicles registered outside of California are required to obtain a California smog certification.

It says nothing about smog being needed at 32nd street, so maybe we are both right. I wish I knew that before!
So back to the original problem. Tell him to go to 32nd street. He should just need his license, military ID, registration and proof of liability insurance.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

NAB also requires a smog cert regardless of where the car is registered. Perhaps the reason why people are getting away from not having to smog for a base sticker is because the sticker from the previous duty station is still valid.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PhantomGOAT
That is not correct. Maybe it varies from base to base or branch to branch, but for Navy bases ANY out of state registration needs smog. The state doesn't matter.

I have Colorado plates on mine. I took my car to Point Loma smog and told them I have long tubes etc, I just need a smog test for base passes only. They were cool and "bypassed" the visual inspection.
Ok I am here to tell the truth because i had to deal with this exact problem at camp P

I was stopped at the gate with NV plates and was given a ticket for smog....
trust me when i tell you to get a base tag you need to show some sort of smog for ca just to get your tags after that its up to you to deiced.

IMO get it smog passed in ca with your out of state tags get your base sticker
THen do your mods but HEAR ME WHEN I SAY keep your exhaust quiet
trust me they are huge dicks that get off fucken with marines and there hotrod cars on camp P

So if you do a cam or any exhaust mod try to keep it on the down low and dont use the south gate by the 52 area thats where the dicks are
Old 05-27-2012, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Never had a problem with pmo. Most of them compliment the way my car sounds.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

I also never had any problems getting on Miramar, NAB, CP nor Naval Base (dry side). I guess one of the civilian gate guards recognized my car. When I drove on he said "there he is".
Old 05-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Launching!

i did i was at a advanced infantry course and they where straight dicks to me while i was there
Old 05-27-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

I just learned that PMO is following and inspecting for all CA regulations such as tint, plate and as this thread has discussed the smog side as well. Let's not get into a measuring contest with how long people have been in. I am a CA resident and have been the only owner of my car since November of 2000 and some of these things have taken me by suprise. I always rolled the dice obviously when my front plate mounts mysteriously sheared off and I didn't have a plate. Risked that for a few years here but it didn't effect me when in NC, since their laws allowed for it. WA pulled me over a few times for it but were nice enough not to ticket for a CA requirement (even though they knew I was in the wrong). I had my side windows tinted to the max acceptable levels in when in WA, just forgot to strip it off when I came back. As for the smog, since my car has always been a CA car I have always been on the hook for that and only got my reprieve when in WA and got the bye because I couldn't get the proper smog check to renew. Others from the platoon have now gotten to feel the sting of emissions no matter what state they are registered from. The smog stations are understanding of the new rules for the base and seem to be working with the visual items. However, my CA registered Silverado had issue with the CAI when my wife went to register it. I had gotten a used kit and therefore have no sticker although I know it is compliant. I think that have had more to do with my wife going and not me. I sent her the link to the manufacturer and they got the C.A.R.B. number from that and passed it no problem. It was all done through text, the shop was just being lazy. Moral of this rant is that I think the federal government is trying to transition to the stronger emission standard of CA and they are starting at the bases and working backward. Just an idea, you've been warned...
Old 05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by racerfox
Ok I am here to tell the truth because i had to deal with this exact problem at camp P

I was stopped at the gate with NV plates and was given a ticket for smog....
trust me when i tell you to get a base tag you need to show some sort of smog for ca just to get your tags after that its up to you to deiced.
Well, I've never had any issues at Miramar, North Island, China Lake, or Lemoore. And as far as a ticket for base, you can get cited for no cats or excessive noise but not for smog. That would be like a cop giving you a ticket for speeding when he doesn't have a radar detector... it just doesn't make sense.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PhantomGOAT
Alright, I researched it and it must be a base to base thing. I am attached to Naval Base Point Loma and here is their policy.

Regular access to the base requires vehicle registration into the Region Southwest vehicle database. Personnel will need to provide their driver's license, auto registration, proof of insurance, smog certification, and valid DoD identification card. Personnel permanently assigned to Naval Base Point Loma with vehicles registered outside of California are required to obtain a California smog certification.

It says nothing about smog being needed at 32nd street, so maybe we are both right. I wish I knew that before!
So back to the original problem. Tell him to go to 32nd street. He should just need his license, military ID, registration and proof of liability insurance.

That's understandable that your base would make it a requirement since each base can add there own SOP's on top of the normal rules. IMO just take it to another base if they are giving you problems about it. There are plenty of bases to choose from down there.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02SS#214
That's understandable that your base would make it a requirement since each base can add there own SOP's on top of the normal rules. IMO just take it to another base if they are giving you problems about it. There are plenty of bases to choose from down there.
Agreed!

Quick Reply: Military members... Question?